• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Out of these two "qualifications" which is more highly likelly to INVESTMENT BANKING. (2 Viewers)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Out of these two "qualifications" which is more highly likelly to INVESTMENT BANK

LOL! yeah total fail, I didnt read very hard into what newbie said....

Investment banking division in retail bank?! you mean Institutional banking?

is a roflcopter
HSC
Re: Out of these two "qualifications" which is more highly likelly to INVESTMENT BANK

What would you call HSBC, Standard Chartered, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citigroup, JPMorgan etc? they are first and foremost a retail bank

runnable

HSC

What would you call HSBC, Standard Chartered, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citigroup, JPMorgan etc? they are first and foremost a retail bank
Actually no, those with a proper investment banking division are well and truly investment banks for the purpose of conversation. You don't work for Chase, you don't work for Citibank, you don't work for Bank of America. You work for JP Morgan, Citi Institutional Clients Group, Bank of America Merrill Lynch respectively, which are all proper investment banks.

Universal bank would be a better name for those you listed with the full spectrum of services. Surely you must know these distinctions?

PS. Do you work in a front office role?

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC

All those things you named are subsidiaries of a retail bank. Its actually a line in all our paperwork and pitchbook disclaimers. Anyway this discussion is moot because i would know best where i work and im not here to debate that.?

but i do work for one of those banks i listed and im at the stage where i sift through resumes and do campus recruiting so im happy to answer questions on interviews,etc

I also coordinate summer internship assessments and training so happy to answer any questions on that as well

runnable

HSC

All those things you named are subsidiaries of a retail bank. Its actually a line in all our paperwork and pitchbook disclaimers. Anyway this discussion is moot because i would know best where i work and im not here to debate that.?

but i do work for one of those banks i listed and im at the stage where i sift through resumes and do campus recruiting so im happy to answer questions on interviews,etc

I also coordinate summer internship assessments and training so happy to answer any questions on that as well
Those are divisions of an universal bank. You may know well where you work but we are just intrigued by what you said.

Do you work in HR? Why are you doing campus recruiting now when they were done in either March/April or mid-August? Also, it's nice of them to let you get online and chat during work hours or are you on leave presently?

PS. The investment banking division is as much a subsidiary as the retail bank division so I really have no idea why you called them a retail bank.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC

lol i dont work in HR. Work is not that busy at the moment thanks to Europe.

Im not doing recruiting, just saying i can give forum members advice on interviews and resumes,etc etc because i know what they look for (because im the one looking) and also answer any questions on the summer internship experience (the ones you dont want to ask at the cocktail evenings)

runnable

HSC

lol i dont work in HR. Work is not that busy at the moment thanks to Europe.

Im not doing recruiting, just saying i can give forum members advice on interviews and resumes,etc etc because i know what they look for (because im the one looking) and also answer any questions on the summer internship experience (the ones you dont want to ask at the cocktail evenings)
I thought you said "im at the stage where i sift through resumes and do campus recruiting". Do you work in a front office role?

How many rounds are there and how many people do you seek to take?

is a roflcopter
HSC

Yes i am front office. yes front office junior associates do the recruiting grunt work (which actually makes sense because we would know exactly what to look for).

For us, theres a phone interview with an associate who picked your resume out. This is followed by 2-3 other phone interviews with VP level people. This is followed by a in person superday where you will go through 4-6 people, including usually 2 MDs. Then offer. This wont apply for Australia but we had 20 summers this year. (im in HK and hence im not offering advice on process and headcount but the more universally applied topics such as resumes and interview questions and the internship experience etc, best practices for an intern to get a full time offer,etc)

runnable

HSC

:rolleyes2: You're in Hong Kong? Might be useful to make that clearer next time.

Standard Chartered or HSBC if I may guess?

is a roflcopter
HSC

nah lol

To answer the original poster's question - i believe unsw fins Hons is definately a stronger degree for IB to go for in the outset. our current regional head is actually unsw fins hons lol.

i was com/law but the issue i found is that law totally kills your marks whereas hons as i understand from my friends is that first class is quite achievable if you apply yourself and you already go into hons with a distinction average (which is also the year that you apply for internships so thats a win)

the downside is that if you dont get into honours, you are left with just a finance degree with less than a distinction average which would limit your options in ib

marks are not everything however if you can spin the story of your life to make it intereesting - i am a living example of a 70 wam (when i interview, 66wam when i graduated) in a bulge bracket

runnable

HSC

Very nice of the bulge bracket to let you have some online forum time during work.

is a roflcopter
HSC

Its a common misconception of the work hours we do or how restrictive it is
sure we have weeks where we dont sleep
but we also have times where the boss is travelling, deal just died, etc, etc where we have a lot of spare time.
We went through phases where we would have poker games in the office, nerf gun wars, etc
the guy sitting across from me owns a nightclub, i know a guy who is a partner in a michelin star restaurant,etc

the bottom line is as long as we deliver what we need to do (not as easy as it seems), there are no rules on what else we do

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

nah lol

To answer the original poster's question - i believe unsw fins Hons is definately a stronger degree for IB to go for in the outset. our current regional head is actually unsw fins hons lol.

i was com/law but the issue i found is that law totally kills your marks whereas hons as i understand from my friends is that first class is quite achievable if you apply yourself and you already go into hons with a distinction average (which is also the year that you apply for internships so thats a win)

the downside is that if you dont get into honours, you are left with just a finance degree with less than a distinction average which would limit your options in ib

marks are not everything however if you can spin the story of your life to make it intereesting - i am a living example of a 70 wam (when i interview, 66wam when i graduated) in a bulge bracket
whoa...and here i am, worrying about 80s wam....

runnable

HSC

whoa...and here i am, worrying about 80s wam....
Mate, don't get distracted! Haha Comm/Law is harder to HD in. With a BComm degree, there's a strong need for a good mark. So keep working! Good luck with exams ;).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

^oh right. i forgot that he was doing comm/law LOL. but nah, i am alright. not interested in IB at the moment....hahaha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

PS. The investment banking division is as much a subsidiary as the retail bank division so I really have no idea why you called them a retail bank.
Interesting point, but I'd say given what has happened, a lot of organisations would rather brand themselves as a retail bank than an investment bank.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Its a common misconception of the work hours we do or how restrictive it is
sure we have weeks where we dont sleep
but we also have times where the boss is travelling, deal just died, etc, etc where we have a lot of spare time.
We went through phases where we would have poker games in the office, nerf gun wars, etc
the guy sitting across from me owns a nightclub, i know a guy who is a partner in a michelin star restaurant,etc

the bottom line is as long as we deliver what we need to do (not as easy as it seems), there are no rules on what else we do
LOL hilarious I think I might have met your friend last month then!!! Went to 8.5 last month (took leave to go to HK to look at properties) and was introduced to this nightclub ib dude, though I wasn't sure what division he's in... Though he took my friend in to dragon-i and kicked all these caucasians off this table. From memory you're at a bulge bracket bulge bracket? Must be the same guy

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Unfortunately there's no such thing. Institutional banking perhaps?
LOL I love it when noobs who have no idea say wrong things like it's a fact.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

LOL! yeah total fail, I didnt read very hard into what newbie said....

Investment banking division in retail bank?! you mean Institutional banking?
Another noob. Good job kiddo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)