P1 Restrictions coming July07! (1 Viewer)

Jiga

In all fairness, passenger restrictions aren't that bad. The aim of them is to stop 17 year old, inexperienced drivers from carrying a car full of drunk, distracting passengers at 3am, and that's reasonable. So some 17 year olds have to be home by 11. Boo fucking hoo. It's not really going to effect anything other than some teenage kid's social life, and that's not a government priority.
No they are stupid.

The only way you learn how to drive with passengers (ie focusing on the road instead of the drunken conversation) is through experience, having one year with a single passenger will do nothing... and by the time people get their greens they will then have full passengers, and then have to deal with the exact same problems they do now with no restritrictions on passengers. This is a bandade solution in every sense of the word. From my personal experience, Id say having a car full of drunken incoherent passengers is a good thing once you get used to it(2 trips or so), I know when I drive mates Im wide awake, once I continue onto my house alone I start to feel tired as there is no-one making noise or anyone to talk to. And this is on top of the fact that I drive slower etc cos Im mindful of having 5 lives on board and dont want to do anything stupid.... not the case when Im alone in the car with empty streets to play in!

And also, this 'there 17 they cant go out and dirnk n e way' argument is bullsh*t, I know a large number of people who didnt get their P's at 18 and everyone has their p's for a couple of months while their 18... so no they are screwing up the dezo system etc, only time will tell the effects of this - increased crime, irresponsible drinking, drink driving etc

Last edited by a moderator:

mcs

HSC
The restrictions in my opinion will do stuff all to fix the problem.... the Gov is simply making it look like they are doing something to appease those calling for changes and because there is an election coming up. The only way to improve the situation is driver education and training- make the driving instructors not teach you how to pass the P's Test but how to drive and make it mandatory that you have to do at least 1 defensive driver course. This would be a start as the only way to stop the accidents occuring is to make the drivers better drivers who better understand the weapon that they have in their control and how to control it better. For a lot of accidents I feel could be avoided if those driving the car had a better understanding of what to do in the event of an accident. Even better, educate them properly so they dont get into the situation in the first.

Other thing that would help significantly to curbing the overall road toll not just that with p platers would be to spend our taxes we pay properly and fix the shitty roads that there are in Australia, esp in NSW. But the Government wouldnt do that, of course not!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The government is assuming that P1 drivers still need to develop their independent driving skills (ie driving without mum or dad supervising), and this is true. You're a much better driver on your P2 than your P1. So I can see where they're coming from. Although yeah, driving late at night with passengers is something everyone does on their P1s, and it's something you won't get better at without practice. They just want P platers to be better drivers before they start practising.

Really, it's only for 6 hours of the night. Start the party earlier and it won't make any difference. You can still drive all your drunk mates around at 1055pm. Heck, drinking in the city is cheaper before 10pm anyway.

It's not that I think the laws will make any difference, they're a bandaid solution and there probably won't be any change. I had no problems with late night passengers when I was on my P1, and zero tolerance wouldn't have changed the way I drove because I just don't speed. But I can see the thinking behind them.

And I also hate that they're listening to the parents of the kids that died in P plater accidents. Maybe if you'd taught your kid some responsibility when driving they wouldn't have been so stupid. You can't blame the government for your shitty parenting.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
And I also hate that they're listening to the parents of the kids that died in P plater accidents. Maybe if you'd taught your kid some responsibility when driving they wouldn't have been so stupid. You can't blame the government for your shitty parenting.
Its not like that, the government isnt to blame but neither are the parents, and you cant really blame the kids either...inexperienced drivers have accidents, and its hard to blame someone for that because the only way to get better is to drive more.

I really like it how having your kid die in an accident suddenly make you an expert with a 6year degree in your belt on driver mechanics, fully qualified to sit on a board making nation changing legislation and able to give your dumbass worhtless opinion on stuff that will effect alot of people.

Jiga

I really like it how having your kid die in an accident suddenly make you an expert with a 6year degree in your belt on driver mechanics, fully qualified to sit on a board making nation changing legislation and able to give your dumbass worhtless opinion on stuff that will effect alot of people.
Yeah exactly, not to mention anyone who brings emotions into the whole decision making process isnt going to be thinking rationally. Its all bout certain parents trying to make theirs kids lives worth something as heartless as that may sound, and in the process f*cking over everyone else who isnt retarded and dont have fatal crashes.

What really sh*ts me to is the recent adds, one with a copper saying things to the effect of '[Insert Number of P-Plate deaths on road here] died on the road last year, by stopping speeding we are going to stop it'.... sorry Im quite sure that alot of those crashes didnt have any evidence of speeding and some even werent the fault of the p-plater! And while your targeting these p-plate hoons for speeding, why dont you target the 99% of full license holders who speed!

HSC
man i find many times that having more drivers makes me nervous, probably because ive been driving under a week on my own, but i dont know. my mates agree'd with the passenger restriction law

Jiga

^

It comes down to experience. Everyone is nervous for example when you first start driving by yourself. So lol ban licenses? Once you are exposed to different situations... much like how now L-platers have to drive at night etc to experience it... same applies to having passengers.

But yeah, forget how the first few trips are... in the long term IMO having passengers is better, they prevent falling asleep at the wheel and most sane people tend to drive more cautiously with people on board.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I Disagree with all the new laws coming in, except tougher tests for L-Platers

Firstly the Zero Tolerance for Speeding. While I understand where they are coming from, this is way too harsh. At least be a little more lenient if the person is over the speed limit by a few Kms (1 or 2 kms doesnt make much of a difference to the chance of having an accident). And this probably wont deter the minority of P platers causing all the problems (my brother has been on his Ps for 5 years and lost his licence 3 times, it didnt change his attitude one bit) it will just cause more hassle for the responsible drivers who may drift over the speed limit once in a while.

Also with the restrictions to the number of people in the car after 11pm. This is just ridiculous. Instead of reducing the number of accidents its going to create more. Its going to mean more P-plate drivers on the road and more drink driving and therefore more car accidents. Thats just common sense.

Finally having to display P-Plates on the outside. I dont see the problem with having one of those P-plates that sticks on the inside of the windscreen in the top corner. Its clearly visible, moreso than some of the ways P-Plates are displayed on the outside (almost fully obscured by the number plates)

So to sum up I think all the new rules are bullshit and they seem to be a rushed "band-aid" attempt sparked by an over exaggerated representation of P-Platers' irresponsible driving by the media.

Jiga

^

Tbh I think the speed restrictions are good, although the reason behind putting them in place because p-platers are reckless speeders is FOS because everyone speeds, there is no denying that it will slow p-platers down (whenver its double demerit weekends you slow down, because its 1 offence and your license gone), and we all know that every km/h increases stopping distance etc, which in some cases can mean the different between life and death in the event of an emergency situation. And also, you wont get done for going 2km/h... speed cameras do have an allowable limit to account for speedo's being out, and coppers already use a 10% rule in most cases, and there is no doubt that they will be told to be lenient in the enforecement of speeding (ie dont fine you for like 5km/h over). What I would like to know is why dont they have something like this for every driver...afterall speeding is illegal. The msg Im getting is that driving experience makes it ok to speed... complacency. Just as a dangerous as a poor attitude that young drivers supposedly have.

Last edited by a moderator:

LynH1326

HSC
The government should do what they did to Motorcyclists. That is to introduce compulsary Advanced Driver Courses as a requirement to get to the next licence stage, and for schools to start driver education earlier (I know that ACT and Tasmania has pre-driver courses in their schools, but it is an elective not compulsary)

I don't fully agree with the passenger restictions: if people are stupid enough to speed cuz their friends say so, well they deserve to be punished for it, and their friends too! But as the NRMA president said: "I don't want my 18-yr-old daughter being left in an unsavory part of town just because her designated driver friend can only take one passenger". Plus that is showing responsibility - being a designated driver and making sure that friends get home safely.

As for hands-free mobiles: its just as much of a distraction as talking to a passenger. And i know a fair few P1s who need to be in contact during working hours due to their jobs and that includes when they are driving. If they are using bluetooth/hands-free then they are showing some responsibility by not sms-ing or holding the phone while driving.

One strike: Why not every single driver then? The older drivers who try to run me off the road, the middle aged idiots who speed (and are always overlooked for the P-plater travelling behind them....), and the provisional drivers. That is because the Grey-vote is very important to the government, as is the mum-and-dad vote.

At least I'm going for my greens soon! Maybe one day the government will see how hard it will be to police these things... especially given the state of the NSW police force, we all know Iemma's view on that!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's going to be really hard to police all of this, especially when the P1 deso takes their plates off to car pool their mates home. It's a pretty harsh law, but I'm sure kids will get used to it.

I wonder how much people complained when they introduced the P2 licence. It must have seemed like an unfair law back then, but these days it's just a part of life and not a big deal.

Jiga

^

I doubt many rational ppl at least would have complained, afterall P2's are prity much like having your full license, except you cant go 10km/h faster. The current changes are going to have a far greater impact.

samerin

HSC
someone gotto stop people from dying....i support it

Redgoddess

HSC
The no tolerance thing on speeding isn't going to change anything, because if you speed, you do so in the belief that you won't get caught. I know I speed all the time in the 100/110 km/h zones (i'm a red p plater and i just do 100, sometimes more if i'm overtaking fuckwits who can't drive at a constant speed or at all), except for double demerit weekends - I just keep an eye out for police, and I've seen them four or 5 times but never been caught. That said I usually don't speed if I've got 3 or 4 ppl in the car, or in wet/rainy conditions... *shrugs*

The passenger restrictions... well, yeah, having ppl in the car can be a lil bit distracting, but hey, welcome to the real world. As long as you drive responsibly (i.e. - dont do stupid shit cos they encourage you, and still pay attention to what you're doing) it's much less dangerous than drink driving cos the government's fucked over the deso concept.

The thing is, they've already implemented so many laws that they don't enforce - as serius pointed out, it's already illegal to have p plates mounted on the dashboard or anywhere other than the top corners of the windscreen if you've got your plates inside, but that doesnt get enforced, so what miracle is going to see these new laws enforced?

It's a load of shit, none of these laws except possibly the harder l's test and education are going to change anything. Thank god i'll be on greens by then. Unlucky for my brother.

CieL

HSC
Redgoddess said:
The no tolerance thing on speeding isn't going to change anything, because if you speed, you do so in the belief that you won't get caught.
You reckon?
I speed thinking I wont get caught... AND if I get caught I'll have enough demerit points to cover it..

My friends which only have 1 point left on their licence are much much more cautious than me.. because once they're done on something, that's bye bye licence..

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
The one thing I find absolutely RIDICULOUS - moreso than going against their own Designated Driver Campaign idea - is the plates on the outside rule.

That's bullshit. Utter Bullshit.

CieL

HSC
Heh.. it's like another lousy thing to add to the list..

I mentioned this in the "most annoying thing when driving" thread..

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey, if you renew your learner's licence after the restrictions come into effect, will you be subject to the new restrictions? i.e. you now have to do 120 hours before attempting DART? I've been wondering about this for some time.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The restrictions apply to all P1 drivers who have their P1 at the time the laws are introduced in July07 I believe.

Back to the actual restrictions, so.. what happens if you're driving home from a party at 10:30, get stuck in traffic, and it hits 11pm? Do you kick everyone out?... *half-skim read the posts in thread*

circusmind

HSC
NSW is becoming quite the nanny state. Everyone come to Canberra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)