Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Shell said:
im hoping to be the child in my family with the highest uai. I think its possible. i mean, look at my competition, my little bro doing teh hsc this year, DaddyK. lol him getting a high uai? please.
wow, genetically you have a really dumb family.

7th Sign

HSC
I think every one wants to beat their brothers and sisters lol,

My older sister had a crazy uai of 98 and got a premiers award so in year 11 and 12 my parents knew I had no chance of beating her I even knew I was gone I just didn't know how poorly I was going to go.

I think I have "middle child syndrome"

because I have another sister who is in Caringbah high atm lol and she is starting her hsc in year 10 or 11 so she will kill my uai for sure :( she is already going to do extension German and she was always smarter then the crazy uai sister :(

My uai was in the 60s and bother their uai's high 90s its not fair :(

Although it will be good to see who makes it better in life :D who is a million air first :D Oh well Ive got no chance older sister is doing medicine @ usyd and getting a Distinction avg atm :(

obviously I am Adopted :(

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
7th Sign said:

My older sister had a crazy uai of 98 ... older sister is doing medicine @ usyd and getting a Distinction avg atm :(

Use it as a motivator to kick their asses later on in life.

Ain't nothin' like a bit o' elbow grease. (ie. TRY.) I have every faith in you.

Luckily for me, My brother is just above average intellectually.

Unfortunately, he's a freakish guitarist/aspiring rock star.

Try becoming a rock star? :rolleyes: Haha.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
7th Sign said:

My older sister had a crazy uai of 98 and got a premiers award so in year 11 and 12 my parents knew I had no chance of beating her I even knew I was gone I just didn't know how poorly I was going to go.

I think I have "middle child syndrome"

because I have another sister who is in Caringbah high atm lol and she is starting her hsc in year 10 or 11 so she will kill my uai for sure :( she is already going to do extension German and she was always smarter then the crazy uai sister :(

My uai was in the 60s and bother their uai's high 90s its not fair :(

Although it will be good to see who makes it better in life :D who is a million air first :D Oh well Ive got no chance older sister is doing medicine @ usyd and getting a Distinction avg atm :(

I'm a middle child. So you can't use that as an excuse for failure. I only use middle child syndrome as as excuse for being emotional and needy.

Danoz The Great

HSC
7th Sign said:
Hopefully, one day you'll be smart enough to learn that it's spelt MILLIONAIRE.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Lundy said:
I'm a middle child. So you can't use that as an excuse for failure. I only use middle child syndrome as as excuse for being emotional and needy.
Im also a middle child. I however, unlike 7th_sign, am the smartest one in my family. :D:D

HSC
N/A
man i got 83.5 uai n my bro n sis goes im gonna kik ur ass. I provided good motivation for my bros n sis. They mostly like to beat since they go to those good scools no near bankstown for e.g. de la salle bansktown, too many hot teachers, stop sendin them ther, its a whole! they deserve better.. but its good motivation im happy, my bro goes he gonan study to beat me... liek wtf!

Gustus

HSC
$a®e said:
MarzBarz i think is being really harsh...some ppl try really hard and unfortunately the best they can do is a 60-70UAI...i think its rather presumptutious to say that:

when everyones situation, intelligence and ability to perform is different to the next person..i think its wonderful that people are proud for getting a uai in that range, not everyone aspires to the same level of achievement.
Too Right!!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
prinze__martin said:
man i got 83.5 uai n my bro n sis goes im gonna kik ur ass. I provided good motivation for my bros n sis. They mostly like to beat since they go to those good scools no near bankstown for e.g. de la salle bansktown, too many hot teachers, stop sendin them ther, its a whole! they deserve better.. but its good motivation im happy, my bro goes he gonan study to beat me... liek wtf!
are you drunk? learn to spell, use grammar and string coherent sentences together.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
UAI: 99.5
Woke up my dad, who gets off work at 5 a.m, at 9 something to tell him :D
He thought in his grogginess that i said 95 and he was disappointed because he knew i really wanted to do commerce/law. Then i repeated it and he was like "...oh! That's awesome!"

In the end, i did well because i wanted to do well and made sure that i got what i wanted. My parents pushed me like hell but i pushed myself even harder. Naturally, i'd get frustrated with the amount of pressure they piled on to me. But then i think back to scenarios like this:
*secretly watching NBA while pretendin to study in room 2 days out from assessment period with 80% of assessments unprepared for. Mom comes in, catches me and expresses her disappointment that she's sacrificed so much for me to do well this year and i'm not honouring her sacrifice by giving it all my all. I go on guilt trip, turns off NBA, studies and rips the assessments.*

If my parents didnt push me, i wouldn't be near combined law. I'm amused at all these people thinking that when people get high UAIs and say they didn't study much, that they must be full of shit. They did study. Just not the 8 hours a day you think they did. I have friends in James Ruse that seemed to lead a vibrant social life and still got 99+ UAI. People get good results for 3 reasons:
1) They study hard.
2) They study smart but bludged just as much as 7th_sign probably did (like me)
3) They have high scaling subjects like Ext. 2 Maths
Those who can combine them all obviously killed the HSC :p
I had 2) and 3).

People who refuse to believe high achievers can have a social life are obviouisly bitter and hence they can stfu.

In the end, a good result is one that gets you into the course YOU want. Hence a person who got an UAI of 99.3 but wanted a course with a higher cutoff has as much right to be pissed as a UAI of 60 person.

In the end, parents can't MAKE you do well. You have to WANT to do well and push yourself. Parental pressure is vital fuel, but you control the wheel. Too bad 7th_sign drove off a cliff. After all, Staz's not getting distinction averages because of parent's nagging.

If you did jack shit during the year and your parents are pissed at your crap marks, they should be so take the punishment you idiot. If they're not, it's not necessarily a good thing.

If you tried your best, studied hard but got disappointing results, and your parents give you grief, they should stfu and be proud. Your best is all you possibly offer.

My parents are happy but i can't help being dissapointed because while i did study smart, i regret not also studying harder. Still, i'll hopefully get the UNSW combined law course i want.

Year 12 has been an awesome rollercoaster ride, both academically and socially. I'll pass on another ride though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Airness said:
UAI: 99.5
Woke up my dad, who gets off work at 5 a.m, at 9 something to tell him :D
He thought in his grogginess that i said 95 and he was disappointed because he knew i really wanted to do commerce/law. Then i repeated it and he was like "...oh! That's awesome!"

In the end, i did well because i wanted to do well and made sure that i got what i wanted. My parents pushed me like hell but i pushed myself even harder. Naturally, i'd get frustrated with the amount of pressure they piled on to me. But then i think back to scenarios like this:
*secretly watching NBA while pretendin to study in room 2 days out from assessment period with 80% of assessments unprepared for. Mom comes in, catches me and expresses her disappointment that she's sacrificed so much for me to do well this year and i'm not honouring her sacrifice by giving it all my all. I go on guilt trip, turns off NBA, studies and rips the assessments.*

If my parents didnt push me, i wouldn't be near combined law. I'm amused at all these people thinking that when people get high UAIs and say they didn't study much, that they must be full of shit. They did study. Just not the 8 hours a day you think they did. I have friends in James Ruse that seemed to lead a vibrant social life and still got 99+ UAI. People get good results for 2 reasons:
1) They study hard.
2) They study smart but bludged just as much as 7th_sign probably did (like me)
3) They have high scaling subjects like Ext. 2 Maths
Those who can combine them all obviously killed the HSC :p
I had 2) and 3).

People who refuse to believe high achievers can have a social life are obviouisly bitter and hence they can stfu.

In the end, a good result is one that gets you into the course YOU want. Hence a person who got an UAI of 99.3 but wanted a course with a higher cutoff has as much right to be pissed as a UAI of 60 person.

In the end, parents can't MAKE you do well. You have to WANT to do well and push yourself. Parental pressure is vital fuel, but you control the wheel. Too bad 7th_sign drove off a cliff. After all, Staz's not getting distinction averages because of parent's nagging.

If you did jack shit during the year and your parents are pissed at your crap marks, they should be so take the punishment you idiot. If they're not, it's not necessarily a good thing.

If you tried your best, studied hard but got disappointing results, and your parents give you grief, they should stfu and be proud. Your best is all you possibly offer.

My parents are happy but i can't help being dissapointed because while i did study smart, i regret not also studying harder. Still, i'll hopefully get the UNSW combined law course i want.

Year 12 has been an awesome rollercoaster ride, both academically and socially. I'll pass on another ride though :)
its true, many high achievers get a very strong social life as well. I hate to toot my own horn (well, no i actually quite like it) but I have topped 2 of my 8 uni subjects and received a very high wam and gpa. This is all with going out once or twice a week - and one of those times per week would be getting ABSOLUTELY wasted - read: about 15+ standards a night. It's all about finding the perfect balance. I stayed back at uni 3 times a week studying and making notes. This worked very well. You have time to relax this way, can lead a strong social life, yet get great marks

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I agree 100% with Lundy's post, that's basically the same as my parents, in year 10 i would never of thought about getting over 90 (no study, no homework, constantly getting in trouble though still maintaned ~70ish marks), then in year 11 i kind of figured i need to buckle down and wanted to achieve 90+, my parents did not push me at all and if i did i probably would of gone bad in my opinion. they won't be their all your life as Lundy said.

stainmepink

HSC
Dragon Fanatic said:
Lets put all the political correctness away.

A massive chunk of people on this forum are Asian. Asian parents put a rediculous amount of pressure on their kids to study study study and don't let them live a life of a normal Australian teenager.

The thing that these parents don't undertand is that they are doing a HUGE disservice to their kids, because they don't learn how to be social and in turn assimilate into the Australian workplace. While they will be employed on marks and hardwork their total lack of personality and people skills, that should have been moulded throughout high school, means that they do not have capcaity and social qualifications if you like, to earn the big bucks in the big domestic companies.

Thats the truth of it. I could not ask for better parents, as they have brought me up thus far to live a balanced Australian life and now I found myself trying my best regardless of what I am undertaking.

woah slow down boy. stop with the generalisations!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it's a generalisation, but it's correct. Asian parents, generally (especially first generation aussies) put enormous pressure on their children. They don't let them go out fo alot of their school life.

Some Russian parents are similar.
My parents (well, up until the divorce) put enormous pressure on me. my dad, until I was 18, didn't let me go out to parties or anything.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
ive never been stopped doing anything. my parents respect me, and the fact that they cannot live through me, and that i have to make my own mistakes to learn lessons from. they let me to anything.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents were over the moon. After about 10 minutes of telling them, i think most of my extended family knew, by the the end of the day most of my neighbours and family friends knew, then soon after even random people in the street knew.

This is depite the mark been quite mediocre and me being quite unhappy at it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fundamentally said:
My brother got 99.0. My parents are furious with him. No Christmas presents for him..

He had planned to do law at Sydney or UNSW.
He won't get into either now.
The choices are going to be UTS/Macquarie or paying full fees to get into Sydney or UNSW.
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH! asian parents?

what about this choice - doing the commerce (or science or whatever) component and then transfering with a D average to law at usyd/unsw?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
fundamentally said:
It is really no big deal to get a 99+ UAI.
All it means is that you are in the top 1 percentile.
My brother is very bright and went to a good school. He has no excuses. We have relatives and friends whose kids get 100. When I did the HSC, I got 99.9. He could have done equally well with relative ease. So we are pretty disappointed by how he did.

I suspect that you went to a really lousy school or were otherwise disadvantaged to have such a strange view of the UAI.
No, I think you are the one with a strange view of the UAI.

While it's different for everyone depending on their standards and environment, generally an UAI above 95 is considered good, if not excellent. It does take effort to achieve 99+ but for those (I assume, like you) who have grown to becoming so hardworking that it seems incredibly simple, anything below 99 is somewhat disappointing.

I admit it's the same for me. My UAI is 98.20 and I'm not ecstatic about it. I don't consider it a fantastic UAI by my standards, but I know from another person's perspective it's an excellent rank.

You have to see outside your circle of high-achievers and realise that for most students, 95+ is no mean feat. Think about how everyone else must feel when you speak of 99.00 as if it's worthless.

Your brother should be congratulated for his mark, even if he didn't make it into his dream course. I really don't think being disappointed in him for 99.00 is emotionally healthy.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
fundamentally said:
Tough.
If you think that is arrogant, go suck eggs.

In any case, my parents were disappointed with a UAI of 99, not a UAI of 99.9. I had earlier posted this:
Seriously, get off your high horse.

A family friend of mine got 100 last year. He's currently studying overseas and is doing extremely well. My cousin came first in a national mathematics competition in China, and accelerated 3 subjects, coming first in year 9 subjects when he was in year 7. When they speak to others, they're as humble as one can be. I really respect them for not looking down their noses at people who fail exams, let alone those who come second.

You on the other hand, should be congratulated for your UAI. But you should probably realise that your UAI isn't everything. Seeing as you've already pissed off half of the people here with your unbearable arrogance, you'll need plenty of luck finding a job or succeeding in an interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)