• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

People doing law for the $$$/career prospects (1 Viewer)

monzi

HSC
Stupid

LOL THE MONEY!! Those people are in for the shock of their lives. I have friends who work at FREEHILLS, Clayton utz. TRUST ME .. First year lawyers who are fresh out of university earn less then dentists and even teachers.

My Asian friend at UTS has a sister who went to maq university, works at FREEHILLS and she works long long longggggggg hours. The pay isn't that good either. Not until you can prove yourself. It takes a long time to prove yourself in the legal professio that includes good marks and work experience.

My friend's sister graduated with a HD average in her law degree with honours. And she still found it hard. There is that certain stereotype out there that if you do law you'll instantly be a millionaire. It's utter bullshit trust me. You really have to like law to do well at it, not just for the sake of the glitz and glamour.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
First year salaries in general though are really bad indicators, because usually all the professions which seem high at first deviate from that trend quickly in the ongoing years.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
as in deviation, are you taling about negative or positive territory? :D

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
But there should be, what, 5% of the candidature with an HD average? They can't all win medals. (or can they)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
011 said:
But there should be, what, 5% of the candidature with an HD average? They can't all win medals. (or can they)
5% of the people might get an HD in a subject, but it wouldn't be 5% HD average overall

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
Less than 5%, most of the time. I got two Ds for assesments, last semester, every other assesment got an HD. My friend who's doing law got exactly the same as me in the same three subjects, except she's getting straight Ds in law. Shows that it's more vicious than most subjects.

Edit: Melsc- You will be jealous of me, I've got 5 day's work experience with an SC. The first two days will be last-minute checks with the client, then conferencing with the solicitors, then presentation in court. I get to see all the good bits:D

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Edit: Melsc- You will be jealous of me, I've got 5 day's work experience with an SC. The first two days will be last-minute checks with the client, then conferencing with the solicitors, then presentation in court. I get to see all the good bits:D
Ah you lucky bastard

How'd you manage that?

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
Ah you lucky bastard

How'd you manage that?
He's kinda a family friend. I think he likes me because I was the only one brave enough to argue with him about several things at this family dinner- (I think this was the order) cameras in court, co-ed classed, and then history as a subject as general.

Also, I think he knows I'll make a good reader, although not for him (SCs can't be mentors).

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
It balances out overall. Maintaining a high average is difficult. Staying 'at the top' and maintaining a level is difficult.

D's for law are not all that rare. however overall HD's for law are much rarer.
I totally agree. It's a bitch that my GPA sees no difference between an HD and a D, though. A lame tutor gave me a credit for an assesment task, which annoyed me. Thankfully the lecturer looked over it and gave it a D. Credits really do damage to a GPA if you're not getting rewarded for getting an HD rather than D...

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
It varies...D's can be up to 30% in some courses. In others it can be as little as 10%
What? I think you mis-read.

re: GPA- At macq, a fail= 0, cpass= 1, pass= 2, credit= 3, d= 4, hd= 4. THere's no GPA difference between a D and an HD

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
What? I think you mis-read.

re: GPA- At macq, a fail= 0, cpass= 1, pass= 2, credit= 3, d= 4, hd= 4. THere's no GPA difference between a D and an HD
What the hell

that's dodgy -- what about if someone wanted to transfer? The UAC would give them a new GPA surely

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Awwww no fair, the neighbour is a lawyer and my second cousin is a barrister and they both offered to take me around with them but that sucks compared to a REAL SC ur soooo lucky :(

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
It varies...D's can be up to 30% in some courses. In others it can be as little as 10%
What is it in law? I know it varies from uni to uni but on rough average.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Awwww no fair, the neighbour is a lawyer and my second cousin is a barrister and they both offered to take me around with them but that sucks compared to a REAL SC ur soooo lucky :(
oh com'on mel. you're in year 12... CHILLAXXXXXXxxxxxxx. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)