• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physics, the "I don't understand what's going on thread!" (1 Viewer)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Bookie said:
I had the urge to do so. It was a reward for shinigamis good grammar and correct use of the english language in her initial post. It was well worded and required some response which I beleived I was able to fulfil.

Remember kiddies, Bookie will help you if your posts are coherent.
Thanks, I guess more people should post coherently.

I don't want to offend you in anyway because it's my avatar's fault but I'm a male. :p

webby234 said:
Shinigami, I'm suprised you don't like your physics teacher - I've had all three physics teachers at our school at some stage and I think all of them are good.

Physics is a subject that requires a lot of self-learning, which I didn't do for the prelim course (when I was in year ten). I probably could have done better at Physics - I didn't start working properly until after the trials (which I got 66% in). My rank was still =2nd, so my school mark wasn't affected too badly, but if you put the effort in earlier you can achieve very highly. It is important to write notes for each dot point and some of the concepts take a while to understand. Questions such as evaluating the impact on society and the environment are better done at home - investigations need to be done at school. I like the use of the laptop to teach - our maths teacher (may be your physics teacher) often uses it and its very effective to demonstrate some concepts and to draw graphs.

Wow I notice Bookie actually made a helpful post.
I like my teacher as a person because he is nice but i just don't agree with his teaching style. :)

Just want to clarify that I don't hate him.

Bookie said:
Year 11 physics I found was just a whole heap of disguised maths.

Just know the right formula, basically, and every answer will come to you.

I never got a physics question right the first tme round (even now). You always seem to forget one value, more often than not the acceleration of an object due to gravity. But the second time, the question usually makes sense, and you tend to glide through the following few until you get a question which introduces a new parameter. Meh, don't worry, it's not too bad. Probably should do some extra textbook exercises if you're feeling a bit weak, nd I probably should too, but I'm not getting round to it.

Have fun :)
Thanks for the advice bookie. I'll probably do a little bit of self-study this weekend. :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol. if u guys wanna buy a good physics text book, i'd recommend the jacaranda physics books. they are really good. they have the syllabus dot points in the front and page numbers which answer the actual dot points. really helpful!!. helpful indeed

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
That's the text book I have.

Does everyone doing Physics also have three textbooks?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
yeh. the macmillan one ain't that great..
i got issued the macmillan and the excel physics books.

i bought the jacaranda physics text book though.

HSC
The Jacaranda textbook which i was issued, is the only one i have. In class, we work through a booklet though (written by a guy who was high while writing it...)

H

housemouse

If you have problems with your physics teacher, you should ask him about the problems you are having even though he may not teach it. This was the mistake I made which made me fall behind in physics because I stuck to think that physics was gay.

If s/he doesnt tell you things you want to find out about then i guess you should see the science coordinator or somethng like that

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
housemouse said:
If you have problems with your physics teacher, you should ask him about the problems you are having even though he may not teach it. This was the mistake I made which made me fall behind in physics because I stuck to think that physics was gay.

If s/he doesnt tell you things you want to find out about then i guess you should see the science coordinator or somethng like that
This will sound a bit dumb but I can't pinpoint what I don't know in Physics, I really don't know how this is possible but that's how it is.

I guess I'm just going to read through the syllabus and learn what is required from the textbook and ask any teachers if I don't understand.

On the textbook topic, I have the Jacaranda, Macmillan and Active Physics as issued by my teacher.

speedie

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
This will sound a bit dumb but I can't pinpoint what I don't know in Physics, I really don't know how this is possible but that's how it is.

I guess I'm just going to read through the syllabus and learn what is required from the textbook and ask any teachers if I don't understand.

On the textbook topic, I have the Jacaranda, Macmillan and Active Physics as issued by my teacher.

wow u have 3 txtbooks!

what r u worried about then, just read them!

HSC
speedie said:
wow u have 3 txtbooks!

what r u worried about then, just read them!
Yep, i agree with this!
~shinigami~, if you have 3 textbooks AND a teacher AND access to the internet, i dont see what u have to worry about. Also, have u ever thought that the stuff u dont know in physics is stuff u havent learnt yet??

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Jono_2007 said:
But your teacher could be a really hard marker in which case the other teacher might look good because he marks easy compared to your teacher. Like my teacher who is great. one thing i would like to point out is that physics is a very difficult subject and is not something you can just learn, thus most people do shit.
No he's not half the people in my class have dropped physics. Like i said only 1 person in his class got band 6 in the HSC compared to 15 band 6's in the other class, if u actually read my post. He gets all the questions wrong and has to be corrected by the students, he's a crap teacher and everyone hates him.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Shinigami - If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask, feel free to post them in the physics forum; that's one of the purposes of having an educational forum like this one. :)

speedie

HSC
Riviet said:
Shinigami - If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask, feel free to post them in the physics forum; that's one of the purposes of having an educational forum like this one. :)

but theres no physics forum dedicated to the prelim course- all the forums are HSC based ones.

Elke

HSC
I am having a bit of trouble with physics too. I reckon my teacher has a few screws loose and I don't really like him or his teaching methods, and i would complain to someone higher, but he is the head teacher.
I don't even like or enjoy physics, and aren't really getting all the concepts 100%, but I'm aiming at a career in aviation, so took it to benefit that, even though you really do nothing to do with that in the couse.
Our teacher gave us these "time savers" booklets (time savers for whom I ask).
We dont even take notes, all we do is highlight passages in these booklets and answer questions on them in our workbooks.
I have the Jacaranda text book btw, however I barely use it.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention, I am one of 4 girls out of about 28 in my physics class - the only one in yr 11.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
speedie said:
but theres no physics forum dedicated to the prelim course- all the forums are HSC based ones.
True, but he could still ask a question or two in the main physics forum, as long as it's physics related, or he could PM me if he wants.

HSC
I'm the only girl in my physics class (and pd/h/pe class...), while there's about 8 guys in the class. My physics teacher is the head science teacher too.
Also, whats wrong with not taking notes, when all of the information is in front of u?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)