Physics -vs- Economics -vs- Japanese Cont. (open high schools) ? (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
Pros and cons of these subjects? ... planning on switching from society& culture.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Do physics since you seem to be a science orientated student.
If you ever did Commerce, and liked the Economics side of it, Economics is a viable choice.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Doing physics opens up Engineering as an option. Japanese opens up very little unless you want to pursue something related to it.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
Science yes, maths no. For some crazy reason I'm doing 3U though; that most likely will change... But physics is a mathematical science (problem solving! :O ) mostly, that's the scary part :/

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
OK. If maths is not your cup of tea then neither is Engineering. Choose subjects that help you do what you plan to do later.

As Bored-of-HSC pointed out you need to provide a bit of background about yourself so more meaningful advice can be given.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Science yes, maths no. For some crazy reason I'm doing 3U though; that most likely will change... But physics is a mathematical science (problem solving! :O ) mostly, that's the scary part :/
The maths involved in Physics is alright anyways... I chose both subjects (Phys and Eco) so I don't know which one to support hahaha

Eg155

HSC
You haven't told us anything about yourself. :)
Soz :(
Ok, well...
I want to do medicine, eventually going into a specialty or surgery hopefully, i.e i need a really high ATAR :L so i want the best chance of that. I wouldn't mind doing international business seeing as i don't know if I'm cut out emotionally for med (defs not doing law though). I don't really like maths. Love science though. Mainly a humanities person most of all. Sooo....? :) I don't know what else to write lol.

Pfortune35

HSC
Ok, well...
I want to do medicine, eventually going into a specialty or surgery hopefully, i.e i need a really high ATAR :L so i want the best chance of that. I wouldn't mind doing international business seeing as i don't know if I'm cut out emotionally for med (defs not doing law though). I don't really like maths. Love science though. Mainly a humanities person most of all. Sooo....? :) I don't know what else to write lol.
As far as medicine goes youve got 2 sciences which is good so you dont need to do physics, and for international buissness economics is the go, plus it has heaps of essay writing.
that being said if u did jap in 7-10 liked it and thought you were good thats still an option, But if your thinking open highschool for it im guessing they dont do it at ur school and subjects are always easier when youve got mates to do them with (and if you considered doing jap and comerce/bussness at a tertery level there would be no stoping u on the international trading market)

hope that helps,

pfort

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, well...
Choose Economics. The End. (Nah, think about it, you still have time)

Eg155

HSC
Choose Economics. The End. (Nah, think about it, you still have time)
lol only 2 weeks :O then it's back to the books.

As far as medicine goes youve got 2 sciences which is good so you dont need to do physics, and for international buissness economics is the go, plus it has heaps of essay writing.
that being said if u did jap in 7-10 liked it and thought you were good thats still an option, But if your thinking open highschool for it im guessing they dont do it at ur school and subjects are always easier when youve got mates to do them with (and if you considered doing jap and comerce/bussness at a tertery level there would be no stoping u on the international trading market)

hope that helps,

pfort
thanks! (to both of you)
yea, well they have a teacher for jap but there's not enough people for a continuers class... 2 actually... If they ran this i would choose it in a heartbeat but the careers advisor at my old school said not to do it through OHS coz most of the students already have at least one parent who is fluent, hence disadvantaging me :L + as you said having friends makes everything more fun.
But apparently physics is easier to study for because you can just 'check-off' the syllabus point, but for economics or jap you really have no idea what question they're going to pull out of the syllabus or how they're going to manipulate it :S

bleakarcher

HSC
HSC and Preliminary Physics is for you more than it is for someone like me. Why? Because it definitely is NOT an mathematically orientated as a physics course would be in university. The maths gets as difficult as applying the quadratic formula which you should have done in year 10. It is much more theory based and since you like science you should be fine with that.

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
The maths in physics is piss easy (if you passed year 9 maths you'll be fine) as long as you actually understand what you're doing. It's just subbing values into equations you're given. At most you have to rearrange them.

animeiswild

HSC
I don't suggest Japanese continuers through Open High school because the language becomes extremely hard and my Japanese teacher is tutoring a student who studies Jap cont. through Open High School and apparently she is struggling because the quality of her lessons aren't good enough. To my understanding, I believe lessons are conducted through webcam like Skype or something.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
lol only 2 weeks :O then it's back to the books.

thanks! (to both of you)
yea, well they have a teacher for jap but there's not enough people for a continuers class... 2 actually... If they ran this i would choose it in a heartbeat but the careers advisor at my old school said not to do it through OHS coz most of the students already have at least one parent who is fluent, hence disadvantaging me :L + as you said having friends makes everything more fun.
But apparently physics is easier to study for because you can just 'check-off' the syllabus point, but for economics or jap you really have no idea what question they're going to pull out of the syllabus or how they're going to manipulate it :S
It really doesn't matter what questions they use during the HSC exams because if you find that a falling point, then it means you didn't learn the course properly so you never had a chance of doing well in the first place. The good news is, most people do learn it properly so that argument only really applies to students who are academically lazy.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I don't suggest Japanese continuers through Open High school because the language becomes extremely hard and my Japanese teacher is tutoring a student who studies Jap cont. through Open High School and apparently she is struggling because the quality of her lessons aren't good enough. To my understanding, I believe lessons are conducted through webcam like Skype or something.
I did Jap through open high school, we didn't use skype, just plain phone calls. I did most of the stuff myself. It wasn't TOO hard, but it did get irritating not having immediate access to someone who can help you.

O and nice sig lol

princezeekat

HSC
Hello! I do both Japanese and Economics, and I've got to say that I love them both. There was a comment earlier that said something about how they manipulate something out of the syllabus, well that's not true. In japanese, it is harder to study following strictly the syllabus, but if you learn all the vocab and structures properly and thoroughly, you'll be prepared for whatever they throw at you. The same with economics, plus economics is quite easy since everything links together, so if they did write up a question that you didn't know how to answer, you could break down the question and just try and link it to what you already know:) Japanese is super rewarding though, because it impresses potential employers since you know another language:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)