• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Post election thoughts (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I voted for Labour, so I am not happy that they lost but was expecting it anyway. So did the Coalition end up getting the majority in the Senate:(?

Last edited:

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
I voted Liberals as i saw no need for a change of government. Though the possibility of a senate majority is dis-heartening.

omg_a

HSC
as much as i recognise the problems associated with the coalition having a possible majority in the senate, we have to accept that it is like that because people voted for it. which is in itself depressing to someone on my side of the political spectrum, but there actually are that many australians out there who follow/support the coalitions policies/views, and our parliament must, logically reflect that.

still, itll be a long three years...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
cattlefat said:
I've gotta say...no way! My parents own a small business and we are a low income bracket family...We've rented since 1996, and rents have gone up, the GST makes everything expensive, and since we've got this stupid GST you'd expect public infrastucture to be better supported by the federal government..but is it? NOOOOOO WAY..instead the money goes to really necessary things like defence and recruitment ads for the army (which we would never have needed if Howard hadn't made us a terrorist target by associating us with the US and its capitalist ideals).
I mean it's not like the GST gets redistributed to the STATES (although there are some equality issues it has no relevance for this post). Now the defence force are not only a FEDERAL responsibilty they are still needed even if we weren't a terroist target. Timor-Leste, Solomon Islands, Sinai, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Ethiopa are all countries where we have troops on peace keeping jobs only where we did not invade the country. Not only that the defence force maintains patrols of Australia and the Southern Ocean to prevent illegal fishers.

The recruitment ads have nothing to do with being a terroist target, they were running before September 11, and us having troops in Australia does not prevent any terroist attacks in foreign countries eg Indonesia.

Last edited:

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i can't believe the coalition are back in :(
i voted labor and i can't believe they lost
we need a change, john howard is a liar
and if they get the senate as well we are screwed
but all i can say is it is not my fault
because i am not that dumb that i vote for them

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I am quite disappointed with the election results, probably more than I should be, seeing as I'm under 18...

But yeh, yay to Howard...congrats to him. To his credit he's done an alright job of managing the economy. There are some extremists here who claim everything he's done is right, and everything labor has done is wrong. This is not true, they have both made viable contributions.

do not insult the integrity of latham.

I am sick of hearing him dubbed as uneducated....he went to sydney uni. so he was working class, what is possibly wrong with that?

and it's spelt LABOR.

I agree with xayma cattlefat your claims have unfounded basis...please look up your facts...

and please, just stop it.

why do posters have this perchance for including personal insults when their arguments start to dribble into a mass of incoherence and untruths?

and why is asquithian always the (sorry) scapegoat? he has relevant opinions, and he's slightly more qualified than some of you...

choose someone else for a change it's just getting tiring now.

If we're going to argue intelligently we should do so without so much emotion...bias is of course necessary...but when it explodes into the one sided spiels that some are so keen on it sort of destroys the spirit of this forum.

but, of course you males can continue to argue over me as you've always done.

I do apologise for this rant, I am feeling remarkably rantish today. maths does that to people.

EDIT: sorry math nerds, I just, argh, simple harmonic motion is pissing me off.

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
I was almost going to agree with you until you had to say this...

cherryblossom said:
I am feeling remarkably rantish today. maths does that to people.

:vcross:

HSC
steph@nie said:
cherryblossom its spelt SCAPEGOAT
I thought it was done to add humour :) I liked perchance instead of penchant too, apart from that it was a moderately decent post, until the 'oh you males' bit, but eh, ten points for effort.

In response to the original thread, my first thought was "Fuck", and that's pretty much been it since. Not really a happy camper, but hey, maybe next time. Now we sit back and see how it goes.

As amusing as arguing politics on the Internet is, we'd probably all be far better served doing something constructive, like building bomb shelters in our back yards.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Estel said:
pfft... pedant... "it's"
I didn't do it to be pedantic. If I was, I'd be spell check.

I did it because I found it ironic that someone who was telling others to spell couldn't even do the deed herself.

Anyway. Politics. Unchecked Liberal government scares the hell out of me.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
look I wrote that post in a hurry - it was a typo, but when people spell it labour chances are they did it thinking that was how it's spelt, it was not intended to be malicious. i have been doing austen related english work for most of these holidays, excuse the flowery shit.
thing is current affairs is very male dominated except now after the election it's getting more people.

neo_o said:
i only thought you were a guy, because no girl ever comes into the news/pols forums apart from eviltama :/
and I think I'm the only female labor supporter in here. so yes.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
cherryblossom said:
look I wrote that post in a hurry - it was a typo, but when people spell it labour chances are they did it thinking that was how it's spelt, it was not intended to be malicious. i have been doing austen related english work for most of these holidays, excuse the flowery shit.
thing is current affairs is very male dominated except now after the election it's getting more people.

and I think I'm the only female labor supporter in here. so yes.
fair enough. austen sucks, so I'll give you that.

by the way, you're not the only female labor supporter. :)

cattlefat

Well Xyama and cherryblossom, Howard would have had to increase spending in defense because of the involvement in Iraq...And how did my post suggest that I believed funds from the GST would be redistributed to the US?! All I said was that having a GST should mean better public services...and instead we've seen the opposite (ie. the decline in bulk billing "The percentage of Doctors bulk billing has dropped from 80.6% to 68.5%, as of the March 2003 quarter".

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Li0n said:
i like males
keke
me too but not the ones that plough over you in political discussions simply because you're of the opposite sex.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
cattlefat said:
Well Xyama and cherryblossom, Howard would have had to increase spending in defense because of the involvement in Iraq...And how did my post suggest that I believed funds from the GST would be redistributed to the US?! All I said was that having a GST should mean better public services...and instead we've seen the opposite (ie. the decline in bulk billing "The percentage of Doctors bulk billing has dropped from 80.6% to 68.5%, as of the March 2003 quarter".
Maybe this is a 'global trend' like the economy :)

evil99

HSC
agree!

somborac said:
i wanted labor to win. more uni places and less uni fees. with howard now the class of 04 has less chance to get into uni.
I feel devastated, a shocking result

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)