Post Your 2014 Sem1 Timetable (1 Viewer)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
That makes the two of us :haha: (half of my friends who said they'd do Comm at UNSW made a last minute ditch to USYD Comm)
Omg, hi-5. I need to make some friends. Spread my wings and fly away!!! Lol

Last edited:

lolwot

HSC
What is the deadline to change our timetables, is it like early March?

Posting here cause I didn't want to make a whole topic for this question

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That makes the two of us :haha: (half of my friends who said they'd do Comm at UNSW made a last minute ditch to USYD Comm)
Don't worry, you have us now :p

What is the deadline to change our timetables, is it like early March?

Posting here cause I didn't want to make a whole topic for this question

By the census date. This is usually 4-6 weeks after semester commmencement (so late march/early april).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
By the census date. This is usually 4-6 weeks after semester commmencement (so late march/early april).
Census date is actually like the end of first week of semester :( This is in terms of changing your timetable.

After this date you have until Week 3/4 to drop courses without having to pay for them.

After this date you get another 2/3 weeks to drop the course without any academic penalty but will still have to pay for the course.

Michelle Lin

HSC

I tried for an hour to timetable by myself but ended up clicking the auto button thingy. I've circled the buildings listed on the tiny campus map on the back of a UNSW brochure but I can't tell if:

Sir John Clancy is far from Goldstein or Morven Brown? *Clueless first year*

D94

HSC
N/A
Sir John Clancy is far from Goldstein or Morven Brown? *Clueless first year*
Clancy to Morven Brown is very close (around 100m).

Clancy to Goldstein is much further because you would most likely be walking down the Basser Steps.

I think you should attempt to make your timetable 'better' (IMO). It's very scattered, and I'm sure you would be able to get at least 1 day off - you only have 14 hours.

Start with classes that you can't move - such as courses that only have one lecture option, or courses where all tutorials are run at the same time. If you see that your lectures don't run on certain days, then try to pick tutorials that are not on those days, but rather on the days when you have lectures.

Michelle Lin

HSC
Clancy to Morven Brown is very close (around 100m).

Clancy to Goldstein is much further because you would most likely be walking down the Basser Steps.

I think you should attempt to make your timetable 'better' (IMO). It's very scattered, and I'm sure you would be able to get at least 1 day off - you only have 14 hours.

Start with classes that you can't move - such as courses that only have one lecture option, or courses where all tutorials are run at the same time. If you see that your lectures don't run on certain days, then try to pick tutorials that are not on those days, but rather on the days when you have lectures.
I honestly tried but things kept clashing and got very, very confusing. @_@

Edit: My friend's having a go at it for me to see if she has better organisational skills.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I honestly tried but things kept clashing and got very, very confusing. @_@
Well keep trying because you can put in at most an hour of work now and save yourself a potential thirteen weeks of pain.

It's simple:

You start with the lectures. And then you load up all the possible tute times, you use this website: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/ , and then you pick the tutorials around your lectures.

It really shouldn't take that long at all.

Michelle Lin

HSC
Well keep trying because you can put in at most an hour of work now and save yourself a potential thirteen weeks of pain.

It's simple:

You start with the lectures. And then you load up all the possible tute times, you use this website: http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/ , and then you pick the tutorials around your lectures.

It really shouldn't take that long at all.
Okay nope, my friend double checked for me... there's really no way for me to get a day off. My lectures are all only available on the one time slot and then the tutorials have to be at those times are they clash with another tut / lecture.

Oh, except she moved my friday tutorial up an hour. That's all she managed.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
The only other thing I can think of is whether you have chosen the 'correct' or 'best' set of courses for this semester. Maybe consider other electives, if you don't really like your timetable.

And yes, I used Rectangles: http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/ to check whether you could even get a day off, and you couldn't even if you chose the times that are currently full.

Michelle Lin

HSC
The only other thing I can think of is whether you have chosen the 'correct' or 'best' set of courses for this semester. Maybe consider other electives, if you don't really like your timetable.

And yes, I used Rectangles: http://mahler.cse.unsw.edu.au/rectangles/ to check whether you could even get a day off, and you couldn't even if you chose the times that are currently full.
I'm starting to feel like my experience with the timetabling system is very different to most people on this thread?

I tried the website just then and clicked the inc. full classes and the link says "A clash was detected between SOCW1001 and SRAP1000. No timetables were generated." LOL

Um... Also, those are the only four classes I'm eligible to take for the first semester for my degrees? Like, I'm pretty sure I don't have any other options due to prerequisite courses possibly because I'm not doing a very popular double? I think if I was only doing Social Work or SRAP I might have more options? Idk. But I have to do the 3 cores and the fourth is my SRAP major?

Edit: Really, thanks heaps for the suggestions and I'll keep the sites bookmarked for next sem/further down the track. Also, sorry for all the question marks in my posts - I'm just very, very confused about university and how it works atm. @_@

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay nope, my friend double checked for me... there's really no way for me to get a day off. My lectures are all only available on the one time slot and then the tutorials have to be at those times are they clash with another tut / lecture.

Oh, except she moved my friday tutorial up an hour. That's all she managed.
It's not just about days off, it's about other things too - like if you want all your classes to finish before like 4pm or something, or if you want to start later on Tuesday because you have a thing on in the morning every week, or if you'd prefer to keep uni on say Friday to a minimum because you have work in the afternoon or something.

Lectures are pretty much set, it's just the tutes you can move around - and there might be some leeway too to get a timetable you want more.

lolwot

HSC
So if you wanted to change the time of one of your lectures/tutorials for a course do you like go to "Vary Enrollment" "Drop" it, add the same course and then do the "Proceed to Enroll" thing were you select your times? Sorry for stupid questions again I'm just paranoid I'll stuff it up

D94

HSC
N/A
So if you wanted to change the time of one of your lectures/tutorials for a course do you like go to "Vary Enrollment" "Drop" it, add the same course and then do the "Proceed to Enroll" thing were you select your times? Sorry for stupid questions again I'm just paranoid I'll stuff it up
Use Swap. Just put in the same course code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)