Pre-uni tutoring (1 Viewer)

jenjf88

HSC
i went to pre-uni in yr 10 and found that although the teachers i had were good, the booklets were really crappy. The chem teacher i had was good as he brought extra work for us to do, that the booklets didn't have or only brushed upon. But i quit two terms later because it found it really ineffective.

azziebess123456

HSC
jenjf88 said:
ithe teachers i had were good, the booklets were really crappy.
\

yeh that wasreally true. we often ended early because there wasn't anything substantial in the booklets

joannnee*

HSC
yeah. preuni is way too crowded now.
my english class has like nearly 30 students.
and the teacher just doesn't have the time to get around everyone.
he's a good teacher i guess being a senior HSC marker and all that but he gives homework and doesn't even check.
we've been doing the same thing over and over again ever since the beginning of this term.
and a lot of new people come and disrupt the class so he goes over the same thing each lesson
it's really arghh ><
year9/10 classes were just a bludge therefore waste of money.
i don't think preuni is that good anymore ... that's why i only go there for english now.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Why would anyone support an institution run by Maria June-Hee Lee who haven't paid income tax and is convicted of cash-reporting offences? Corruption at it's best.

Local
Fight for $12m empire
WARREN OWENS
MATP
241 words
8 October 2006
Sunday Telegraph
9 - Metro
English
Copyright 2006 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

A MILLIONAIRE Sydney businessman is battling to save a $12 million property empire from being confiscated after his wife was convicted of cash-reporting offences.

Company director Maria Jung-Hee Lee received a good-behaviour bond for depositing more than $460,000 cash in seven people's bank accounts, in breach of cash-reporting laws.

Supreme Court orders had "frozen" 19 properties linked to Mrs Lee, mainly home units at Hurstville, in 2004.

The Lee family home at Strathfield and bank accounts linked to Mrs Lee, understood to contain more than $1 million, were also "frozen".

Under federal laws, Mrs Lee had six months to challenge the orders, or the properties would be forfeited to federal or state governments.

That period has expired, but her husband, James Young-Soo Lee, and related companies have launched a Supreme Court action to challenge the forfeiture.

Mrs Lee has also appealed her conviction.

The Lees own the "very profitable" Pre-Uni New College at Strathfield, with other colleges franchised around the suburbs, Sydney District Court was told at her trial.

In 2004, Mrs Lee banked more than $460,000 cash in bank accounts in the names of seven friends and associates, including students and an employee.

All of her 63 deposits were less than $10,000 -- the sum that triggers an automatic report to the Federal Government agency AUSTRAC.

[STE_T-20061008-9-030-145461 ]

Photo

Document SUNTEL0020061007e2a80006f
Local
Suspicion over cash
WARREN OWENS
MATP
308 words
13 November 2005
Sunday Telegraph
1 - State
English
Copyright 2005 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

A MILLIONAIRE Sydney businesswoman deposited more than $460,000 in cash in different people's bank accounts at several banks over a four-month period, a court heard last week.

None of the 63 deposits involved sums bigger than $10,000 -- the amount that triggers an automatic report to the Federal Government cash-monitoring agency, AUSTRAC.

A District Court jury was told all this money was transferred back to accounts controlled by the businesswoman, Maria Jung-Hee Lee, and later she withdrew $130,000 from one of the accounts to pay the deposit on a house.

Mrs Lee, who with her husband runs the "very profitable" Pre-Uni New College at Strathfield, pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of structuring bank deposits to avoid cash-reporting laws.

Crown prosecutor Wendy Abraham QC detailed events at a Bendigo Bank branch on January 23 last year, when Mrs Lee and four friends arrived.

Mrs Lee stepped forward with cash from her bag, in $8000 bundles, to open new accounts for her friends, all with her as signatory.

Then Mrs Lee and three of her friends repeated their actions at a nearby Westpac. All told, $79,000 in cash was deposited in 11 separate transactions that afternoon.

Defence lawyer John Agius SC told the jury that the Crown's case against Mrs Lee was "entirely circumstantial".

He said Mrs Lee made no secret of her involvement in all of the cash transactions, which "she always believed would be reported to AUSTRAC".

Mrs Lee and her husband had a corporate structure for their business and therefore it was in their interest to spread their banking among several banks.

"She had particular reasons for wanting to deposit amounts less than $10,000," he said.

The trial continues this week.

[STE_T-20051113-1-019-356431 ]

Photo

Document SUNTEL0020051112e1bd0000w

stephenchow

HSC
Yeah I knew they were crook when I was still there. Didnt give a shit about the teaching, only about the money.

And they confiscated Pokemon cards and never gave them back.

WhistleBlower

HSC
N/A
Miliux said:
Why would anyone support an institution run by Maria June-Hee Lee who haven't paid income tax and is convicted of cash-reporting offences? Corruption at it's best.
Up until recently I worked at Pre-Uni.

Do you know that the Lees do with their money? They set up schools and provide free milk to school children in the most under-privileged countries in our world. Pre-Uni fees were often reduced or even waived completely for families that could not afford to pay. I wonder what you, Miliux, have done to help those less fortunate than yourself lately? Nothing perhaps?

By the way I think it my duty to let people know what is going on at Pre-Uni lately. It is no longer operated by the Lees. A huge accounting company has taken it over. After many years working for Pre-Uni I left without another job to go to because this company made my working conditions intolerable. They do not appear to have the interest of staff or of customers as a priority. They are very unpleasant people.

Morale of both staff and teachers was very poor when I left with many considering their options.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
WhistleBlower said:
Up until recently I worked at Pre-Uni.

Do you know that the Lees do with their money? They set up schools and provide free milk to school children in the most under-privileged countries in our world. Pre-Uni fees were often reduced or even waived completely for families that could not afford to pay. I wonder what you, Miliux, have done to help those less fortunate than yourself lately? Nothing perhaps?

By the way I think it my duty to let people know what is going on at Pre-Uni lately. It is no longer operated by the Lees. A huge accounting company has taken it over. After many years working for Pre-Uni I left without another job to go to because this company made my working conditions intolerable. They do not appear to have the interest of staff or of customers as a priority. They are very unpleasant people.

Morale of both staff and teachers was very poor when I left with many considering their options.
What makes you think you know much about my values in volunteering and make such an assumption? I am actually heavily involved in my volunteering community for a number of years now. But i still managed to pay all my income taxes!

Now much much did those free milk cost compared to the tax evasion? A drop in the bucket. It is nothing more than a public relations act. No good will will wipe away the stains of these criminals.

But i wonder how much slush fund can they get out since most of their money are actually overseas. More undeclared tax perhaps? Well think about it. What kind of a fool would hide that much money under the bed and think that governing bodies would not notice it?

Corruption at its best. It is like those typical celebrities who purchase friends and connections through extravegant wealth.

Yes, i know the 37 year old manager now runs the Pre-Uni. There were so many employees who just left the Homebush branch in droves. But this time i'm sure Pre-Uni will realise that everybody must abide by the Rule of Law.

Now why didn't they get jail sentence really is surprising. Even with all the Australian asset freeze, it is still a slap on the wrist for them. A big proportion are in offshore banks. And i got this in former employee of Pre-Uni too. Surprise surprise.

Last edited:

acq128

HSC
too much trust on the justice system

plenty more like them out there, i don't think people like paying taxes in general

there are bigger criminals to catch

and back onto topic guys

I think i had a pretty good Math teacher at Pre uni for yr11 and 12, Mr Noonan GMTITU

and i also had Robert Wills, not sure if they still worth there though

mich33

HSC
N/A
well, parents hu gossip about good tutors says that if u go 2 pre-uni after selective test, pre-uni is really crappy but yr 12 mite be different........

haphazard.

HSC
I did it last year, found the math classes to be quite disappointing, i think it was because of our teacher. Science was good though, i only did it in the last term which was a shame. My class size was small - about 10 people.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
acq128 said:
too much trust on the justice system

plenty more like them out there, i don't think people like paying taxes in general

there are bigger criminals to catch

and back onto topic guys

I think i had a pretty good Math teacher at Pre uni for yr11 and 12, Mr Noonan GMTITU

and i also had Robert Wills, not sure if they still worth there though
Yeh, Mr Mark Noonan AKA GMTITU is a pretty teacher! Kudos to him! I have him now for Year 11 Maths Ext. 1

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
haphazard. said:
I did it last year, found the math classes to be quite disappointing, i think it was because of our teacher. Science was good though, i only did it in the last term which was a shame. My class size was small - about 10 people.
Who did you have? And what day did you do?

jules.09

HSC
I attended Pre Uni in yrs 5 and 6. They were well worth it. I never attended those holiday courses though, that's just a con in my view. You really can't cram, what you can do is just study at home, individual study is best.

My friends did years 7- 10 at Pre Uni. I didn't. We're all from selective schools too. Those years are REALLY BAD. I've reviewed the work. First hand. Honestly, if you seek to learn in those years the BEST THING you can honestly do yourself is to buy the Excel math study guides, yr 7 - 10. You'll have covered everything. As for english, do the same, read widely and become genuinely interested in what literature has to offer.

As for year 11, I did do half a year of it for math ext 1 and eng (adv) when I was in year 9. Mr Noonan really does live up to his name, he is a fantastic teacher, innovative with his powerpoint presentations and explanations. He's also extremely friendly and approachable. I give him the thumbs up.

However, as helpful as Noonan is, I vividly recall people who just found his lessons overwhelming. They couldn't cope with the information that was thrown at them. You should personally assess your ability before considering to attend or not.

As for english, that was helpful. Even though the notion of area of study was new to me at the time, exam techniques are taught, you are encouraged to actively participate in the discussion and there was peer assessment. My teacher came around and checked everyone's work, gave constructive criticism and we were made to write responses to previous HSC english papers in a given time limit. Very appropriate in my view.

--------------

I'm in year 11 now. I don't attend tutoring - except math at an almost unknown and unconventional tuition college. I like it there because I am able to go at my own pace (go ahead of tutoring) and actively ask questions, literally every second, if I had to. I'm doing well in english but my advice is this - if you want to excel, you've got to be genuinely interested in the cultural and social affairs of the world. Your knowledge should encompass different scholarly fields; a bit of philosophy, politics and all that jazz.

Good luck! :cool:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
jules.09 said:
As for year 11, I did do half a year of it for math ext 1 and eng (adv) when I was in year 9. Mr Noonan really does live up to his name, he is a fantastic teacher, innovative with his powerpoint presentations and explanations. He's also extremely friendly and approachable. I give him the thumbs up.

However, as helpful as Noonan is, I vividly recall people who just found his lessons overwhelming. They couldn't cope with the information that was thrown at them. You should personally assess your ability before considering to attend or not.
Noonan's great, but Diane's better.

SwampHen

HSC
I went from years 4 - 6, and then for 3 terms in yr 11 lst year for ext 1 maths. I actually really liked it at Pre Uni cos I had Diane and thought she was a really good teacher (quite energetic too). My class was really small though - at most maybe 10 people so that was good. I remember this one lesson where i was the only student in the class because everyone else had exams. But apparently it gets heaps crowded in yr 12???

I also had Mr Noonan a couple of times when he subbed my class when Diane was away but I much preferred Diane'########## to Mr Noonan's- I think the powerpoint was a bit overwhelming, and i couldn't really follow sometimes.

I quit though after cos it was a bit far too travel and because it clashed with my after school classes that I picked up in yr 12. -.-''

mangaLOVE.

HSC
atm i do pre-uni maths ext 1
and northshore english.

my maths teacher is pretty good.
it just depends on which centres have the better teacher.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
atm i do pre-uni maths ext 1
and northshore english.

my maths teacher is pretty good.
it just depends on which centres have the better teacher.
I got there for Maths Ext 1 as well; which centre do you go to?

danusha

HSC
Has anyone tried pre-uni's economics classes?? Are they any good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)