Presidential Election (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Re: First Presidential Debate

The Obama campaign hurt itself by perpetuating such strong opinions about Romney which set high expectations for his villainy in place. When those expectations were not met, Obama’s (or his surrogates’) strategy backfired. Basically, Mitt Romney was a myth – a piece of gossip. Given the media’s strong influence, women hadn’t seen much of Romney and they had a certain strong expectation of what to expect from him. He wants to steal from poor people and force raped women to give birth. Romney didn’t come off that way, which is why he made his biggest strides among female voters.

That is a huge shift. An 18 point shift and a dead heat among female voters. Since the overall swing was only 12 points, something that Romney did or said must have appealed to this cohort. To drill down even further, there was a 22 point swing among likely white female voters whereas there was only a five point swing among white men.

93% of African American voters say they would vote for Obama? Seems awfully high.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

either way, the jews win

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Yeah..because he considers it murder. Nothing anti-freedom about being opposed to what you view as murder.
Yeah that's fair. Johnson is more in line with my views on it. My views might change if I was an obstetrician though.
93% of African American voters say they would vote for Obama? Seems awfully high.
racist

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Yeah that's fair. Johnson is more in line with my views on it. My views might change if I was an obstetrician though.
yeah and ron paul wants to overturn roe vs wade. ron paul is your quintessential activist big-government president.

gary johnson just says fuck it, cowabunga dude and slithers off into the sunset, leaving a trail of glittery liberty slime

vote gary johnson

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

obama wins, romney wins, reptiles win

halapenyo

HSC

Ryan was way too polite in that debate.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

no he has just no charisma and is a poor debater. how many times did he say "look". that's a debating no no. and how many times did he say "heres the problem" in quick succession? it's okay to say it once if you're actually going to explicitly state what the problem is. but if you say "heres the problem", and then when you're explaining the problem go on to say "heres the problem", you've already lost.

ryan's anecdotes were weak. biden says that his administration has done a lot for detroit. ryan responds by saying mitt is a car guy because he visited a massachusetts family whose sons had been in a car crash. first off, that's a terrible anecdote. and considering that biden responded by reminding us that his own wife and daughter had died in a car crash, it's clear that ryan's anecdote was either 1) fucking retarded or 2) an attempt to put biden on the back foot. either way, it didn't work.

ryan wasn't polite, he was incompetent. the moderator will always allow interruptions in the case of legitimate objections, of which biden had many. the difference was that unlike team ryan, team biden was well prepared and brought the charisma biden is famous for. ryan came out as a twerp.

Lentern

HSC

no he has just no charisma and is a poor debater. how many times did he say "look". that's a debating no no. and how many times did he say "heres the problem" in quick succession? it's okay to say it once if you're actually going to explicitly state what the problem is. but if you say "heres the problem", and then when you're explaining the problem go on to say "heres the problem", you've already lost.

ryan's anecdotes were weak. biden says that his administration has done a lot for detroit. ryan responds by saying mitt is a car guy because he visited a massachusetts family whose sons had been in a car crash. first off, that's a terrible anecdote. and considering that biden responded by reminding us that his own wife and daughter had died in a car crash, it's clear that ryan's anecdote was either 1) fucking retarded or 2) an attempt to put biden on the back foot. either way, it didn't work.

ryan wasn't polite, he was incompetent. the moderator will always allow interruptions in the case of legitimate objections, of which biden had many. the difference was that unlike team ryan, team biden was well prepared and brought the charisma biden is famous for. ryan came out as a twerp.
Imo he didn't do too badly, he was as you say ineffectual but hardly set the campaign back in any sense. You'd expect Biden with thirty years in the senate and four as vice president would have a bit more debate swagger than a 42 year old. I actually think Ryan was a very odd choice for Romney, for Ryan it is fantastic, the national exposure he'll get, either he spends eight years as vice President or is the presumptive nominee four years from now, by which time he'll have accrued considerably more gravitas and experience and won't be facing a sitting president. But for Romney who comes across as pretty economic savvy all he really brings is a extra element of economic braininess. Much better choice than Palin or Quayle but hardly a stroke of genius.

halapenyo

HSC

Opinion polls indicate that the general consensus after the debate was a tie, so Ryan did pretty well (considering Biden was on the front foot throughout the debate).

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

Imo he didn't do too badly, he was as you say ineffectual but hardly set the campaign back in any sense. You'd expect Biden with thirty years in the senate and four as vice president would have a bit more debate swagger than a 42 year old. I actually think Ryan was a very odd choice for Romney, for Ryan it is fantastic, the national exposure he'll get, either he spends eight years as vice President or is the presumptive nominee four years from now, by which time he'll have accrued considerably more gravitas and experience and won't be facing a sitting president. But for Romney who comes across as pretty economic savvy all he really brings is a extra element of economic braininess. Much better choice than Palin or Quayle but hardly a stroke of genius.
the way i see it, this debate was about carrying on the momentum of the first presidential debate. the winner was who changed/preserved the momentum. ryan lost it completely, and biden turned obama's poor performance around. ryan's performance was poor, biden's was top notch, although he's smug as always. i have no doubt that biden has more swagger, and it is largely due to the 36 years in the senate under his belt. although i would also argue that considering ryan has only ever worked in washington politics, he has missed many of the character building opportunities other politicians enjoy. i doubt he will ever be an effective orator, and i doubt he will accrue gravitas or experience.

i don't think ryan is a strange choice at all. he's an almost-tea-party candidate. that's the angry base republicans need to placate at the moment, though i'm surprised someone like marco rubio didn't get it (he probably didn't want it).

the only way ryan will ever be president would be through spending 8 years as VC. that's the only thing that can work in his favour. even then, i very much doubt that he could be considered the presumptive nominee. most importantly, he does not get the black or latino vote - symptomatic of the republican party at large - and that's where the future is. without appealing to it, he has lost already. and he has no way of building his credentials with these communities. ultimately, the republican party is not interested in his platform, and he's a platform guy. so i don't think the future is bright for paul ryan.

Lentern

HSC

You don't believe in that "electoral momentum" bullshit do you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)