• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Presidential Election (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Re: First Presidential Debate

Opinion polls indicate that the general consensus after the debate was a tie, so Ryan did pretty well (considering Biden was on the front foot throughout the debate).
No they don't.

Lentern

HSC

Share the joke Silvy?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

You don't believe in that "electoral momentum" bullshit do you?
no. i'm referring to the emotional investment people have in the presidential debates, and why people talk about 'winning' and 'losing' a debate. i believe the debates are about momentum, not the elections per se. the debates are a rare opportunity for candidates to reach out to a national audience for an extended and intimate period of time. the outcome of the debates does feed into the decisions of some voters (probably tuned-in undecideds), and in this regard momentum is important.

to this effect, i believe the purpose of the second debate was for ryan to maintain the faith in the romney campaign won during the first presidential debate, while biden's purpose was to do anything to counter this momentum and take the sheen off of romney's debate performance. for this reason, i conclude that biden won and ryan lost, even if some surveys might say that respondents believe it was tied (which is indicative of biden stopping the romney momentum).

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

i watched it, and looked at the transcript. it's not clear whether he's impersonating a republican or not when he said that. if he was, he didn't make it clear; if he wasn't, he's straight up lying, which is the cool thing to do right now.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

I think idiotic beliefs about the cause of the recession are more worrying than lying in a debate tbh

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

yes, idiotic beliefs about the cause of the recession are very worrying indeed

halapenyo

HSC

watching the debate while doing my enrolment for semester 1 2013. YOLO.

cant tell whos winning. both are giving pretty vague answers for immigration. but the discussion on tax was interesting.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Obama won the battle but has lost the war.

halapenyo

HSC

Obama won the battle but has lost the war.
i dont think so. Romney was gaining momentum and this will stall it. but even with all that momentum he was only level with Obama in the polls before this debate.

and the next debate is on foreign policy, where he wont be able to exploit Obama as much. apart from that Benghazi attack, Romney will just go on and on about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)