Privacy in relationships (1 Viewer)

If your gf / bf (of 1-2 yrs) wanted to look at your phone, is it ok to say no?

• I'm a girl and I think it is okay to say no.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I'm a girl and I think it is suspicious to say no.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I'm a boy and I think it is okay to say no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a boy and I think it is suspicious to say no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If you've been going out with someone for over a year you should be able to trust them with nearly anything, so yes I'd find it weird not to let them look at your phone

HSC
i couldn't care less if someone wanted to look through my phone/fb etc, i have nothing to hide .. but at the same time i don't think i'd ever ask, i don't really care tbh

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think it really does depend on the person, particularly if they have cheated or whatever in the past.

I mean, if they get all wound up by you wanting to check their phone obviously they have something to hide right?

steph xx

HSC
agreeing with mostly everyone; trust. i would not have a qualm with my boyfriend going through my phone, not that he would and vice versa.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
My boyfriend and I pretty much know everything about each other. He certainly knows all of my secrets.

We have a great relationship and are very open with each other, so I'd have no problem with him looking through my things - however, I still think one should be respectful and ask first, even if the answer will be yes.

If you're hiding things from each other that is a bad sign, and if either of you is secretly snooping to find something, that is also a bad sign.

Trust, right.

Guesss

HSC
If I had a GF who didn't let me look at her phone I'd be pretty suspicious. I mean... what do you have to hide?
Same here, in the opposite sense though, i.e. a BF

and whenever she wants to look im like why dont u trust me how could u etc guilt trippin
lol. Shifty.

He can go through my phone whenever, I don't mind. I have nothing to hide. But it also depends on why he seems to be going through it, and it obviously would make me question him if he frequently does it.

It's a matter of understanding and trust, I guess.
This^

I still think one should be respectful and ask first, even if the answer will be yes.
Yeh, i mean if he asked i wouldnt mind, but say going behind my back to check out my phone would be a let down.

Yiqun

HSC
I think its fine, if u guys have been going out for 1-2years why cant u look through their emails and phone?
by that time you should know everything about them anyway, from job to friends to basically anything in their life.

Plus, why would u look through someone's stuff unless ur sus to begin with?

Also i think if they deny, it clearly shows they have something to hide. After 1-2years, they should be okay with anything u ask. Afterall you have been together for a pretty long time.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
eh, i don't give a shit who goes through my phone. except i can't stand overly curious people who feel the need to look through peoples messages/phone books etc and ask who every single person is, it's annoying as fuck

although like.. i know of some people in relationships who are like "oh yeah lol my bf/gf goes through my phone all the time" and i'm like what the fuck? really? and they're like "yeah" and act like it's a normal thing to do... it seems kind of fucked up to be in a relationship with someone who clearly has such little trust for you that they need to go through your personal shit on a regular basis

HSC
Uni Grad
eh, i don't give a shit who goes through my phone. except i can't stand overly curious people who feel the need to look through peoples messages/phone books etc and ask who every single person is, it's annoying as fuck

although like.. i know of some people in relationships who are like "oh yeah lol my bf/gf goes through my phone all the time" and i'm like what the fuck? really? and they're like "yeah" and act like it's a normal thing to do... it seems kind of fucked up to be in a relationship with someone who clearly has such little trust for you that they need to go through your personal shit on a regular basis
This pretty much sums up my views.

HSC
Uni Grad
However I wouldn't be suspicious or offended or any thing if she said no because

i dont want people going through my shit. personal fucking space.
is a perfectly fine attitude imo as well.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
To those saying that "if you say no, you have something to hide"...

It's not that I personally have something to hide but I'd rather not have her going through my messages, reading things that friends want kept behind closed doors. It's not simply an invasion of my privacy, but the privacy of all the people I talk to in SMS form. There is a level of confidentiality that should be observed in conversations.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
i'd be quite offended if my life partner did not want to go through my personal things, it would mean they don't care enough about me to be jealous or that they think i am noob and am too dickless to be capable of cheating on them. but if i ever catch my partner going through my things i will dump them. i just wwant them to want to do those things, buit i dont want them to actually do it, gosh, the strifes of the modern woman :(

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
this issue has never really come up for me. i haven't ever had a need to go through his things and i assume it has been the same on his side (he is not the type of person who wouldn't say something about it).

but now, because we have been together so long, it's quite natural for us to use eachother's fb/phone/smsing/emails. i suppose that's different through - we would both go through them to look for something specific, maybe an event or a receipt or something like that but not really to check up on eachother

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
To those saying that "if you say no, you have something to hide"...

It's not that I personally have something to hide but I'd rather not have her going through my messages, reading things that friends want kept behind closed doors. It's not simply an invasion of my privacy, but the privacy of all the people I talk to in SMS form. There is a level of confidentiality that should be observed in conversations.
I agree with this...I don't have anything to hide personally, but if a friend has told me something in confidence over SMS/facebook/email, I'm not going to break that trust by then giving my phone to my boyfriend to look through.

I have friends who tell their partners absolutely everything, even about their friends' personal lives, not just their own. Apparently this is normal? I don't like it though...if I ever tell my bestie something now I have to explicitly remind her not to tell her partner about it and even then I still wonder if she does or not. It's weird.

Yo1anda

HSC
never done it

and no boy has ever been suspicious of me cheating so its never been done to me woooohoo.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i HATE people going through my phone, i think it's a gross invasion of privacy, and just rude to start doing it without asking.

I'd be more concerned if my partner asked me in the first place to go through my phone, i mean honesty, why do that, shouldnt you trust your partner.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
townie i had a dream of you and i having sex last night and i thoroughly enjoyed it but i was unsatisfied with the fact that i did not wake up with a wet dream >:[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)