• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Procrastinon due to lack of motivation (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
Oh god. The horror! Not studying as much on your holidays as you do during the term. YOU MONSTER!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Got worse. :cold: :cold: :cold:
I am joking guys. I got back on track. I made 20 notes on Chemistry today and I feel great. I did few exercises (I am talking about questions) and I got them all right!!!

I also went for 30 minutes exercise which I quite enjoyed. In few days, I hope to get back to what I was like in Year 9 and 10.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The reason you procrastinate is that you're all motivated by performance goals, not mastery goals.

All you want is to achieve high marks relative to everyone else. All of your motivation is tied up in that. So you'll probably rote-learn stuff and forget it right after the exams.

It's a pity. Schools need to try mastery goals. Study would be so much easier.

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
The reason you procrastinate so much is because it's the freakin holidays and they are there for a reason. Realistically you should decrease the amount of study you do by like, 50% otherwise you're going to burn out.

I've seriously never heard anybody be worried about the fact they don't study as much during the holidays.

You're taking this HSC thing too seriously mang.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I think it's the people who get bad UAI's that are the people who say the HSC doesn't matter. :D

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I think it's the people who get bad UAI's that are the people who say the HSC doesn't matter. :D
i got an awesome UAI. i think it's people with a grasp on reality and the greater world who say the HSC doesn't matter. and it doesnt.
so you screw up your HSC, there are 1001 other ways to get to where you want. 12 months after you finish your HSC no employer really gives a shit what marks you got.

Trajan

HSC
foram said:
Really foram? to you a bad uai is anything under 99.5. :)

She's right though, there's more to life than just academic prowess in exams.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Besodeiah said:
The reason you procrastinate so much is because it's the freakin holidays and they are there for a reason. Realistically you should decrease the amount of study you do by like, 50% otherwise you're going to burn out.

I've seriously never heard anybody be worried about the fact they don't study as much during the holidays.

You're taking this HSC thing too seriously mang.
May be I am and what you said up there is probably. However, I am a very serious person in my all aspects of life. I never take anything lightly. The reason why I posted this up is that I am beginning to see change in my attitude that I am taking everything around me too lightly.

I know that I need to relax and that's the criticism basically all my teachers gave during parents-teacher interview. I appreciate your advice but I shall not take HSC lightly but I will try not to let it control my mind & brain as if my life is being controlled by it. :) :) :)

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
May be I am and what you said up there is probably. However, I am a very serious person in my all aspects of life. I never take anything lightly. The reason why I posted this up is that I am beginning to see change in my attitude that I am taking everything around me too lightly.

I know that I need to relax and that's the criticism basically all my teachers gave during parents-teacher interview. I appreciate your advice but I shall not take HSC lightly but I will try not to let it control my mind & brain as if my life is being controlled by it. :) :) :)
The only reason people tell you to lighten up is because it's easy to set yourself up for failure. If you go into it with the mindset that the HSC is basically what's going to dictate your future, and you fail or don't achieve what you set out to, then the ramifications can be quite serious.

I only say this because having done my HSC, I have seen first hand what happens when somebody invests the entire 2 years into their HSC, only to not quite achieve what they wanted.

Seriously though, take a step back and make a plan. Even if you think failure isn't an option, have a back up plan. Be realistic and set goals outside of the HSC.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am not really sure whether the above posts are directed to me or not. I never said that HSC is the most important thing in life. I also said in the previous posts that I do not need high UAI (if I am thinking of education or other counselling degrees). I just want high UAI to see my potential and to broaden my options. I have got no pressure to perform well either.

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I am not really sure whether the above posts are directed to me or not. I never said that HSC is the most important thing in life. I also said in the previous posts that I do not need high UAI (if I am thinking of education or other counselling degrees). I just want high UAI to see my potential and to broaden my options. I have got no pressure to perform well either.
Reading your posts, I get the impression that you DO think the HSC is quite serious. You're saying you're sick of procrastination. To me that indicates that you probably study too much and too hard and that you're burning out.
To complain about a lack of motivation during the holidays is, to me, a warning sign that perhaps you're going a bit hard.

Just consider what we're saying. Nobody will think less of you if you take time out and enjoy your holidays without worrying about the lack of study you're doing. That's why we have holidays. If you've studied as much as you can during the term maybe it's not such a bad idea to take a sabbatical for a few days to clear your head.
You may even find that a few days off is the answer to your motivation problems!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Besodeiah said:
Reading your posts, I get the impression that you DO think the HSC is quite serious. You're saying you're sick of procrastination. To me that indicates that you probably study too much and too hard and that you're burning out.
To complain about a lack of motivation during the holidays is, to me, a warning sign that perhaps you're going a bit hard.

Just consider what we're saying. Nobody will think less of you if you take time out and enjoy your holidays without worrying about the lack of study you're doing. That's why we have holidays. If you've studied as much as you can during the term maybe it's not such a bad idea to take a sabbatical for a few days to clear your head.
You may even find that a few days off is the answer to your motivation problems!
I DO think the HSC is quite serious. But it's not the most important thing in my life and isn't it normal to think that HSC is serious?

And yes, I am sick of procrastination and I said in my OP that amount of studying has got nothing to do with my 'burning-out'. You mis-read my post or misunderstood the message I was getting across.

By the way, I do consider your valued comment. I think it is great that you are writing all these just to help this poor kid out. Thanks for your post and I will be taking all your advices into action. However, it is an overstatement to say that I am burning out due to the amount of work that I have been doing. And once again, HSC is not the most important thing in my life, it is just that I am a type of guy who tends to take things quite seriously.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
It's crazy to say that the HSC shouldnt be taken seriously,
After 13 years of schooling, countless assessment task, hour upon hour of study it comes down to one year of hard work and of course the HSC exams.

I agree that it is not the MOST important thing in life but I'm not going to take the HSC lightly, I think thats what lyounamu is saying aswell.

dtmur

HSC
just relax and do what you need to, to get through the year,
i thought year 11 was the better year out of 10,11,12 so far,
cause you got no major exams and stuff..

cheers

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
the hsc is serious (kinda) but there are so many other ways to get to whatever you want to do in life.

I think the majority of people take it TO serious.

This could mainly be because of parents???
Well, I guess you are right. But my parents don't pressure me (because they never tell me to study & tell me to go outside!) but they expect me to get high UAI (that pressures me indirectly) automatically. I think that's not right.

sajad07

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, I guess you are right. But my parents don't pressure me (because they never tell me to study & tell me to go outside!) but they expect me to get high UAI (that pressures me indirectly) automatically. I think that's not right.
Dus anyones parents make comparisons

dtmur

HSC
guess i got it pretty good then, i dont really get any pressures, they jus tell me to do best i can, and regardless they support me, just keep good notes and stuff from year 11 so u can revise it all next year, and take everything easy...

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
theshortykatt said:
the hsc is serious (kinda) but there are so many other ways to get to whatever you want to do in life.

I think the majority of people take it TO serious.

This could mainly be because of parents???
It would vary from person to person.
I think most parents have an expectation that their child will do the best they can, however others may place alot of pressure of their child. You see it at weekend sport aswell, the parents on the sideline screaming at their child on the field.
In the end it comes down to the person as to how much effort they put into the HSC and what mark they achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)