Procreation of the hereditarily disabled (1 Viewer)

Should procreation between people with major hereditary diseases be frowned upon?

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
Hereditary (either totally debilitating or mortal) diseases are difficult burdens to bear. If you had a condition, say cystic fibrosis or huntington's disease, that had a high chance of passing on genetically to your children or grand-children, would you subject, nay, sentence your offspring to that kind of existence?

Should procreation between people with major hereditary diseases (that is, autosomal dominant diseases, where only one parent with the condition is necessary to affect a child, and there is a 50% chance a child will inherit the gene) be, if not regulated, frowned upon by society?

Discuss.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
rant said:
Should procreation between people with major hereditary diseases (that is, autosomal dominant diseases, where only one parent with the condition is necessary to affect a child, and there is a 50% chance a child will inherit the gene) be, if not regulated, frowned upon by society?
Yes.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
I wanted a poll :(:(:(

answer yes or no or undecided in your posts plz

EDIT: somebody seriously needs to fix this 'two minutes after post' polling rule

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I dont think so. What could be a greater expression of our freedom and love than the creation of a family? The couple should obviously consider the issue extensively, but it's outrageous to suggest that they should be denied that decision

forks

HSC
Maybe.

it would be impossible to regulate tho. if eventually there was a whole stigma built around it and procreation stopped, would heriditary diseases be 'killed off'?

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
The couple should obviously consider the issue extensively, but it's outrageous to suggest that they should be denied that decision
i agree with you, freedom should be the primary concern here. i'm still not sold though, what about the freedom of the eventual child to live a fulfilled healthy life?

@forks: interesting idea. abstinence FOR THE GREATER GOOD. afaik that wont work with herditary diseases (citation needed?)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The focus in this case should be cure, not prevention imo

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Maybe.

it would be impossible to regulate tho. if eventually there was a whole stigma built around it and procreation stopped, would heriditary diseases be 'killed off'?
Eventually, yes.

banco55

HSC
Don't worry there will be a genetic test for all of those kinds of conditions soon and we'll just kill them in the womb like we do with down's syndrome babies.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
Don't worry there will be a genetic test for all of those kinds of conditions soon and we'll just kill them in the womb like we do with down's syndrome babies.
yes, we know this is possible. the issue, though, is whether people who know that they will birth affected babies should be encouraged to go through with it anyway.

greekgun

HSC
Im pretty sure i read somewhere that some people had the choice to pick and replace genes with others to change their offspring's eye colour, hair colour etc. I wonder if this could b done to change the gene of an offspring which has a fatal disease to one which doesnt. Ill try and find wat i read off google or something.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Yes.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I don't think it should be regulated (freedoms and all that) but it should be frowned on.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
you can't deny choice, because then it becomes a dictatorship. however, genetic engineering will soon be able to combat this will it not? i suppose it would be in the nearish future, but until then, i think it should be frowned upon. it isn't fair on the [potential] kid.

4lettersdown

HSC
Even if both parents have faulty genes, they are still capable of producing a perfectly healthy baby. IVF screening could be made madatory in extreme cases, but its a tender issue.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
We've no right to tell anyone that they can't reproduce by their own choice, let alone tell someone they cannot do it because of certain gene features.

Where's this going to stop? One day we're preventing Huntington's disease, the next minute we're preventing batshit insane right wingers from reproducing.

owait..//.

EDIT: But no seriously, what a ludicrous idea.

4lettersdown

HSC
lul we are both in saem threads.
im pretty sure we dont let gays have kids right now (not completely sure) through third party etc, and i think a debilitating diease that (say) means the kid will probably only live to a few weeks is worse than a bit of buttsex

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)