'Prophet carpet' goes for $5.5m (1 Viewer)

Guesss

HSC
The Pearl Carpet was created in the late 1860s

A carpet that was commissioned in India 150 years ago to decorate the tomb of the Prophet Muhammad in Medina has sold for nearly $5.5m at an auction in Doha.

Bidding was expected to start at about $5m but the starting price was brought down to $4.5m as there were few buyers.

The rug, known as the Pearl Carpet of Baroda, was created using an estimated two million natural seed pearls.

It is decorated with hundreds of precious stones, including diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emeralds.

A gift
"We had to reduce the opening bid to $4.5m and the pearl carpet [eventually] sold at $5.458m," including commission and fees, news agency AFP quoted Sotheby's spokesman Habib Basha as saying.

The identity of the buyer has not been revealed as he wished to remain anonymous, Mr Basha said.

It is believed that the Pearl Carpet of Baroda was commissioned by India's wealthy Maharaja of Baroda, Gaekwar Khande Rao, as a gift to sit at the tomb of the Prophet Muhammad.

The maharaja's death meant it was never delivered and remained in India, being exhibited as a highlight of the Delhi Exhibition more than 100 years ago.
Later, it was taken by a family member to Monaco.

The tiny natural pearls, known as Basra, were harvested from the waters of the Gulf.
Created in the late 1860s, the carpet is largely red and blue, with swirling vines of flowers and three large round rosettes across its centre.

source:BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'Prophet carpet' goes for $5.5m

:)Your thoughts? (in my opinion $5.5m is just a little 2 expensive! dont u think?)

Venom.

HSC
Great idea to post it here. Well at least Schroedickhead is banned.

Venom.

HSC
Pieces of toast with apparent images of Jesus sell for thousands, so this doesnt surprise me.

Guesss

HSC
true that ay! but i dnt reckon having a prophets carpet or a piece of toast wif Jesus on it makes u any more holy or special than the avg. person! I mean faith is supposed 2 b in ur heart, isn't it? :) (am i making sense?)

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
i dont know whats more stupid, India giving it away or paying more than $5m for a rug.

bloody buffoons.

Venom.

HSC
true that ay! but i dnt reckon having a prophets carpet or a piece of toast wif Jesus on it makes u any more holy or special than the avg. person! I mean faith is supposed 2 b in ur heart, isn't it? :) (am i making sense?)
No it doesnt. It's meant for historical significance, sort of an antique like thing. The people who spend like millions of dollars on this are retards, it's nothing but a carpet.

Guesss

HSC
No it doesnt. It's meant for historical significance, sort of an antique like thing. The people who spend like millions of dollars on this are retards, it's nothing but a carpet.
come 2 think of it...how can they be sure thats it did belong 2 mohammed?:confused:

id crack up laughinng if it was a hoax! :haha:

Venom.

HSC
come 2 think of it...how can they be sure thats it did belong 2 mohammed?:confused:

id crack up laughinng if it was a hoax! :haha:
It didnt belong to Mohammad lols. "Commissioned 150 years ago". Mohammad was 1400 years ago.

greekgun

HSC
Woah thats alot of money. I wonder what the person who bought it is going to do to it.
I wonder what would happen if someone bought it then lit it on fire in front of everyone.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
I believe we need an extremist Jewish perspective on this issue... banco ? :confused:

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
I believe we need an extremist Jewish perspective on this issue... banco ? :confused:
i must agree,

5.5 mill is steep, i wonder how much if it was actually on tomb. Also wrong time to sell, all the royals are out of cash because petrol is cheap.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Looks like a nice work, probably a good investment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)