Pros and cons of enrolling into a selective school for Year 12 (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I am a bit worried about the detrimental effect of continuing Year 12 at my current school. Would you recommend trying out for a selective school now? Your thoughts. Pros and cons?

Also, I would like to point out the matter of HSC subjects, so I would assume that I could theoretically change subjects after enrolling into a selective school. Is this correct?

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Spi, i'm on the exact same boat as you. I'm just going to apply and if I get in, i'll think about it further.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Spi, i'm on the exact same boat as you. I'm just going to apply and if I get in, i'll think about it further.
So far,

Pros

• Selective School

• Competition (Finally!)

• Looks fancy

• Beneficial to my ATAR

• No more people that steal my pencil case!

• Less dependence

• Potential to pick up Chemistry

Cons

• Year 7s, Blergh

• No one to annoy at lunch time

• Travel a bit further to school, I think...

• Might not cope with the workload

• 4 Unit Mathematics full

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
Moving to a selective school won't really boost ur atar. Just highly competitive nature will push you.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Moving to a selective school won't really boost ur atar. Just highly competitive nature will push you.
That is what I meant by beneficial, I was referring to the environment and I have always dreamt of making it into a PROPER selective school.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
So far

Pros

• Selective School

• Competition (Finally!)

• Looks fancy

• Beneficial to my ATAR

Cons

• Year 7s, Blergh

• No one to annoy at lunch time

• Travel a bit further to school, I think...

• Might not cope with the workload
I'm also a little worried about making new friends. I'm very introverted and it took me a good 2 terms to fit in and adjust. So I think we should also add adjustment issues to the cons. Will we be able to adapt and adjust in time? I know we don't go to school for friends, but friends are also important and I think we'll perform badly if we can't adjust and make good friends.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I know quite a few people there, but I would doubt they would hang with me at lunch time. Option B, study.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I know quite a few people there, but I would doubt they would hang with me at lunch time. Option B, study.
Umm... I know someone who gave up on a social life completely and just studied. The way this individual turned out...
Uhh... let's just say you need friends, okay? :]

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Umm... I know someone who gave up on a social life completely and just studied. The way this individual turned out...
Uhh... let's just say you need friends, okay? :]
But mummy, I want to go to a selective school, my last chance to fulfil my life long dream.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
But mummy, I want to go to a selective school, my last chance to fulfil my life long dream.
My little boy... I know :(
Son, you've gotta think about everything, not just academically but also the strain this would have on you emotionally, having to re-adjust and all. Imagine all the pressure and stress you'll have, having friendship problems as well as HSC stress. That can't be good psychologically. Unless you're great at befriending people and adjusting to new situations, you've got to think about that issue :]

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My little boy... I know :(
Son, you've gotta think about everything, not just academically but also the strain this would have on you emotionally, having to re-adjust and all. Imagine all the pressure and stress you'll have, having friendship problems as well as HSC stress. That can't be good psychologically. Unless you're great at befriending people and adjusting to new situations, you've got to think about that issue :]
Although I don't particularly excel in that particular field. I may be willing to give up my sanity to attend a selective school.

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Although I don't particularly excel in that particular field. I may be willing to give up my sanity to attend a selective school.
No, don't give up your sanity to attend a selective school. You'll lose social skills, which will impair you long term D:
Everyone needs friends, and SANITY. What if you snap during an exam and go nuts and rip your paper D:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
No, don't give up your sanity to attend a selective school. You'll lose social skills, which will impair you long term D:
Everyone needs friends, and SANITY. What if you snap during an exam and go nuts and rip your paper D:
There will always be a part of me missing if I don't try out, too many what ifs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)