Question about plagerism (1 Viewer)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Something I've always been wondering...

Is it considered plagerism if you use include a phrase/sentance (word for word) from a textbook as part of an answer in the HSC?

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i am not sure entirely but i wouldn't do it all that shows the examiner is that you can memorise stuff out of a book, something most can do, It does not show the examiner that you can explain it.

HSC
Anything shorter than a sentence is probably allowed, but really you have no reason for not rewording it at least.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:

Is it considered plagerism if you use include phrase/sentance (word for word) from a textbook as part of an answer in the HSC?
In the HSC, they will not deduce marks for that. It's an exam based. Plagiarism becomes an issue when people put stuffs in assignment or given tasks without an appropriate acknowledgement and exam markers wouldn't have a clue anyway whether you put that exact phrase down or not.

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yea.

I'm not one to memorise things from the book word for word (I usually learn concepts rather than sentances), but was just wondering if they would penalise you for it if you did.

Bainesy

HSC
if they catch you they definately would deduct marks. all it is showing is that you can copy other peoples work, so they would doubt how much you really understood and how much you just reproduced from a study guide/textbook

Poad

HSC
They can't really penalise you for something like that in most subjects, especially if the content is purely factual. All you're doing is writing out the facts, not claiming that what you have written is your own personal idea.

But on the other hand, for subjects like English or History this can be a problem, because then you are using another critics personal idea and calling it your own, which really it isn't.

jazzbaby

HSC
midifile said:

Is it considered plagerism if you use include a phrase/sentance (word for word) from a textbook as part of an answer in the HSC?
good post

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In Modern History if the quote is relevant to build the argument and you said something like 'an historian said' there wouldn't be a problem because we do expect you to use ideas from historians and understand that exam stress can lead you to forget the actual historian's name.

That being said last year a number of students were penalised for plagiarism in the English exam. I believe the issue was that they used ideas from a story in the creative writing section and the markers recognised the story and penalised them accordingly.

cccclaire

HSC
i don't think so for facts, but for opinions then I think you would be penalised.

Say the subject is biology or chemistry, generally the text book will explain a fact in the most correct and compact way, if you were to change it into your own words you would probably be dumbing it down or making it longer. So for facts I think copying word for word is fine.

Say it's like economics and theres someones economic predictions in the book, then to copy it as your own work would be plagerism I think.

HSC
midifile said:

i think if you can integrate it so that it sounds like your own language i think it is fine... but like has been said previously, itll probably depend on the subject. in things like english it will be more obvious that you have plagiarised.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
In the HSC exam i don't think so. It's under exam condition. You cant simply copying and pasting because there is no where you can copy from.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
chewy123 said:
In the HSC exam i don't think so. It's under exam condition. You cant simply copying and pasting because there is no where you can copy from.
As I said earlier they did ping kids for plagiarism in the English exam last year due to the creative writing that they did.

conics2008

HSC
simple answer no.

the lady from BOS, came and we asked her that exact same question.

it was a simple no, because its a conecpt you might explain or define a term.

eg maths formula ?? eg define stake holders .. different text books different meaning.

therefore its a simple no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)