question about resumes (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf1990

HSC
If you wanna include your achievements that you gained over the school days, what sort of stuff do you include? I know it's a good idea to include stuff from HSC but is there anything else? like maybe stuff from SC????

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
-awards from competions (maths, science... whatever) should be distinction-high distinction awards
-perfect attendance?
- any school involvment??? (for example, i myself was leader of the year12 fundraising committee)
- src?
- community stuff? like redcross

lol hope that helps

Kiim2507

HSC
Nah SC is useless

Achievements, skills, subjects you studied in HSC (don't think you have to include marks but you can if they're really good I guess). Community service work if you did any through school, work experience etc

LoneWolf1990

HSC
Nah SC is useless

Achievements, skills, subjects you studied in HSC (don't think you have to include marks but you can if they're really good I guess). Community service work if you did any through school, work experience etc
hang on, I know that SC in the long run is relatively useless but what if you want to show proof that you are computer-proficient? and when I did SC we did the computing test and wouldn't that be relevant?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
TBH, most people assume that our generation is 'computer-proficient'. You'd only want to include computing if you have extra skills such as usage of MYOB, Macromedia, or programming.

Include extra cirricular activities like SRC, Prefect, Commitees, Sport, Clubs, Teams etc.

Only include awards if they are impressive. A first in Art from year 8 isn't much use to you in a post-HSC job market.

Have you had a job before? Including all relevant job information is more important than school stuff.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
TBH, most people assume that our generation is 'computer-proficient'. You'd only want to include computing if you have extra skills such as usage of MYOB, Macromedia, or programming.

Include extra cirricular activities like SRC, Prefect, Commitees, Sport, Clubs, Teams etc.

Only include awards if they are impressive. A first in Art from year 8 isn't much use to you in a post-HSC job market.

Have you had a job before? Including all relevant job information is more important than school stuff.
nope never had a job before, so I could use all the help I can get please

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
try starting off with some voluntary (ie nonpaid) stuff. ppl will see that you're willing to learn, plus you get some experience to add to ur resume.

it really sux when you cant get employed if you dont have experience, since the only way to get experience is to be emplolyed, lol.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
nope never had a job before, so I could use all the help I can get please
If you were HSC 08, and you've never had a job, what have you been doing for the last year or so? Just trying to get a perspective to help you...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my employment experience:

- end of year 11 (technically first term of year 12, end of 2006) i worked at the local takeaway shop. They were looking for someone to work for them, so i just talked to the owner and he gave me the job (its a really small place, run by asians). I worked thursday and friday afternoons, from 5pm-9pm, i got $7 an hour (i was 16 years old then).
i quit after 2 months so i can focus on hsc, also i didnt like the job.

- throughout my year 12 (2007) i occasionally worked at the local petrol station. My cousin worked there, and i did 'training' there, so i did quite a number of hours there, learning how to use the cash register while being supervised by my cousin or the boss or someone.
Eventually i started paid work there, started off just going there occasionally, maybe once a week or month (my cousin was in charge of shifts, so he'd slot me in at random times), then when i finished my hsc i worked there often, 3 or 4 days a week, or my cousin would give me his shift if he didnt feel like going, lol. I got $8.50 an hour (i was 17 then).

- now i work at David Jones, it's a logistics position so i work at the loading dock. Boxes get taken off the trucks, get scanned, then i'd stack, unpack, unbox, load on trolley, send to the appropriate department in the store, do whatever the manager wants to be done basically.
I applied online for retail (website said there were vacancies), got emailed a week later saying there's no positions, then got called up a few days later saying there's a logistics position in my top store of preference and was asked if i wanted the job, i accepted, so i had a one on one interview, and got the job. $15.63 an hour on weekdays and saturdays, $20.?? on sundays (havnt got a sunday shift yet...), pay will go up when i turn 20 in a few months.

so basically... look around at small shops, they usually have signs out the front saying they need an extra person to work there, or talk to the manager.

Maybe even offer to work voluntarily (without pay), that way you can get experience, you'll know if you like the job or not, and the employer will notice your willingness to learn.

Also, always keep up to date with online applications for retail jobs.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Also, fork out the money and get your RSA and RCG. Two easy certificates that will open up a huge job market in pubs/clubs/hotels etc.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
If you were HSC 08, and you've never had a job, what have you been doing for the last year or so? Just trying to get a perspective to help you...
been in uni(USYD) getting used to the uni-life isn't as easy for someone like me, so I decided to spend time getting used to the new life considering I never had much of a life beforehand

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
been in uni(USYD) getting used to the uni-life isn't as easy for someone like me, so I decided to spend time getting used to the new life considering I never had much of a life beforehand
Ah, ok, makes sense. Well, then you'd include the course you are doing now on your resume. Note any particularly courses that may be transferable into business skills. E.g. I had to do Business Information System as part of my Creative Arts/Commerce course, justifying more advanced (albeit not by much more :) ) computer skills.

Also, work experience done in high school should definitely be listed.

If you need a quick way to get experience or a reference, doing backstage on a local theatre production is always an option. Even if you have no real interest in the arts, it's only really 2-3 weeks of shows, an about 2 weeks of rehearsals before that. It's only a few days a week, and can be used to show team skills, listening skills, ability to follow instructions, are on time, group work, independent thinking, initiative etc.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Is there anyway to get that free? Some of my friends from other schools get them from school, but I think at ruse we have to take pe as a subject to do a first aid course.
not sure.

my parents did the first aid course for free last month, but i think it was provided by my dads work.

i applied for one, it would've cost me $155, so mum told me to cancel it and wait till the next free one.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Is there anyway to get that free? Some of my friends from other schools get them from school, but I think at ruse we have to take pe as a subject to do a first aid course.
I did mine through a school subject (entertainment) and still had to pay for it. Admittantly it was cheaper, because you could group book, but it still had to be paid for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)