• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ranking (2 Viewers)

bouncing

HSC
hi could someone please explain ranking to me

eg. in a hypothetical situation like there are 5 kids
two with the mark of 80%
two with 90%
and one with 50%

would the person with 50% be rank 5 or rank 3?
(there are only 5kids/hypothetically speaking)

a bit confused if someone could explain thanks

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Two with 90 are Equal first.
Two with 80 are Equal Third. (This is because two people are taking up first & second, even if they're both first, there's still 2 people)
the one with 50 is 5th. (2 people on 80 are taking up 3 & 4)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In that example, 5th. Based on that evidence alone it would go:

1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th

However, other factors would break them up into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

bouncing

HSC
In that example, 5th. Based on that evidence alone it would go:

1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th

However, other factors would break them up into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

what factors would these be??
and another question... in the hsc exam when it comes to that whole school rank determines atar mark etc etc would both people that came "1st" be getting the highest mark attained by anyone at that school as their corresponding HSC EXAM MARK added to their HSC school mark (hopefully that question made sense)

iRuler got it.

EDIT: So did everyone else. Very fast posters.

yeah :D thanks iRuler

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To divide the ranks, they'd normally have to look at the individual marks for each assessment. As to what happens if two students in the same school get exactly the same mark for everything, I'm not sure. I believe there is a determinant, but I can't be sure offhand what it is.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
and another question... in the hsc exam when it comes to that whole school rank determines atar mark etc etc would both people that came "1st" be getting the highest mark attained by anyone at that school as their corresponding HSC EXAM MARK added to their HSC school mark (hopefully that question made sense)
You're saying that if you're rank 1 internally, you'll get the highest external mark even if you dont get that mark?

This will help you, but it wont exactly be that mark, it will be changed depending on your perfomance, but will not affect you a lot since you were first internally.

np

To divide the ranks, they'd normally have to look at the individual marks for each assessment. As to what happens if two students in the same school get exactly the same mark for everything, I'm not sure. I believe there is a determinant, but I can't be sure offhand what it is.
It could also be the external mark, as to who performs higher externally.. well i think so anyway.

bouncing

HSC
You're saying that if you're rank 1 internally, you'll get the highest external mark even if you dont get that mark?

This will help you, but it wont exactly be that mark, it will be changed depending on your perfomance, but will not affect you a lot since you were first internally.

OH UNDERSTOOD... IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW
thanks all

ps how hard do you guys think it will be to climb from around 50-60/80 to lets say like the top 20... with only trials and a small 15% task to go.. :cry: feeling extremely scared with this whole ranking thing being shoved in my face

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, could be anywhere from easy to impossible.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah, if your grade is generally high performers on assessments, then you're pretty much going to have to get 90+ on all of them. By the way, is there a very large gap between your mark and the highest?

For example: at the moment for English, I'm ranked first with someone else, but we have about 10 other people at equal 3rd. They're only a single mark below us. Then there's someone ranked around about 12th with one mark below them. They still got 18/20 for their assessment. If we get lower marks, they can still top the class. (we only have 1 Advanced class)

All depends on the difference between your marks.

bouncing

HSC
well i got a mark of around 80% the highest was like 94% or something however apparently the average was only 70% (not sure yet)

sighhhh :( damn half yearlies

oh wow that must be some pretty intense competition by the way.. not being able to drop marks

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If two students, after the assessment schedule is completed, are on equal marks then they are sent in as equal. To do otherwise would rightly result in an appeal to the BOS which would uphold the student's position.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
what factors would these be??

If the top two students from the school are sent in as equal first there final assessment mark will be the average of the top two exam marks.

e.g. School sends in 91, 91, 87, 84, 81.......

Exam marks 93, 85, 81, 79....

Assessment marks will be 87, 87 etc.

The top exam mark becomes the top assessment mark only when the top student is the only one. When two or more are equal they get the average of the top marks equal to the number of students who had that top mark (the same operates at the bottom mark by the way).

lordinance

HSC
If the top two students from the school are sent in as equal first there final assessment mark will be the average of the top two exam marks.

e.g. School sends in 91, 91, 87, 84, 81.......

Exam marks 93, 85, 81, 79....

Assessment marks will be 87, 87 etc.

The top exam mark becomes the top assessment mark only when the top student is the only one. When two or more are equal they get the average of the top marks equal to the number of students who had that top mark (the same operates at the bottom mark by the way).
ain't the assessment marks of the top two students = (93+85)/2 = 89?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That sucks. That really sucks.

However it is fair as otherwise all schools would do is send in everyone as equal first and they would all get the same top mark as their assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)