• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rape Ingrained in Islamic Culture? (2 Viewers)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i give my two pet dogs equal treatment amoung them, it doesnt mean i treat them like a human.
thats what polygamy in turn does. The islamic law does state that women have to be treated equally, even though in practise its impossible to do. but the whole topic of polygamy makes women inferior to a male.
the islamic laws make women be treated like objects and incourages violence to be used against them if they step out of line. you may once again argue that its only people who follow the law wrong that are doing this, but since the laws allow numourous people to follow them wrong, its obvious that the problem is not with the people who do wrong, but the islamic laws themselves.
its not the law that allows this, its the poor enforcement. it is possible to treat women equal in practice, although it is very hard to do. affection, however, is a different thing altogether. we must give them equal treatment and what we give in wealth to one the others must get, but allah understands that we may like one slightly more than the other, and has not placed equal affection as a requirement.

the whole topic may make them sound inferior, but notice it isnt practiced by many people. and which law is it that you talk about when you say punishment for women and them being objects? it has been mentioned countless times, with no law being said.

X

xeuyrawp

veterandoggy said:
and which law is it that you talk about when you say punishment for women and them being objects? it has been mentioned countless times, with no law being said.
Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and as to those on whose part you fear rebellion, admonish them, and then leave them alone in the sleeping-places and last beat them (idribûhunna); then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.
-- Koran 4:34. trans. MH Shakir.

My summary:
- Allah made women imperfect,
- A good woman is, therefore, obedient, although a man must keep her in line,
- If a man fears a rebellion or disobedience, he may admonish and beat them,
- Finally, if they do obey you, leave them alone.

That took me 3 seconds to find on the net, I'm sure I could find a tonne more. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

hahaha, actually, read through Koran here, specifically, on women.

edit: I wish I could find a more readable online version...

Last edited by a moderator:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
hahaha, actually, read through Koran here, specifically, on women.

edit: I wish I could find a more readable online version...
Oh but you see by the real interpretation beat means shower them with gifts!

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Oh but you see by the real interpretation beat means shower them with gifts!
Well my interpretation of 'withoutaface' is actually 'closet raging homosexual'. :p

googooloo

HSC
Rape is haram act in Islam. This means it is forbidden, illegal, and you are punished for it. The worst punishment is in the afterlife though, which is hell for sinners of course.

I heard about the whole case with the lawyer saying raping non-muslim women is part of lebanese culture and life. Whihc is stupid. Ignorance is not bliss.

Imams should be trying ot stamp out the idea that it is okay to rape a non-mulsim girl. If they are non-muslim, a muslim man should not touch her so( i do not mean non-muslim womenare ugly or grotesque, but that to have intercourse and relatiosn with them is wrong, ehnce the marry a mulsim woamn thing, but it does happen.), and to have sex outside of marriage is again haram. There are jsut so many thigns wrong with rape, no where should a religion say this is acceptable, and Islam is not one fo those,( if any such religoin or belief exists, well that's just plain messed up I do not need to emphisis how much! You people know!)

googooloo

HSC
PwarYuex said:
-- Koran 4:34. trans. MH Shakir.

My summary:
- Allah made women imperfect,
- A good woman is, therefore, obedient, although a man must keep her in line,
- If a man fears a rebellion or disobedience, he may admonish and beat them,
- Finally, if they do obey you, leave them alone.

That took me 3 seconds to find on the net, I'm sure I could find a tonne more. :)
In the Qur'an it actually says that Men and Women are equal. Neither has more power over the other, neither has more rights than the other, and niehter is lesser than the other. Maybe you should use other mediums besides the web, it's not always a useful source. Just saying. (And I am not saying I am immune form crappy net resources. My comment on buddhism overpaowering chrisitanity is one of them...just thought i'd state this before you chucked what I said back in my face.)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think you know as well as anyone else does that there are condradictory verses in the koran... you are probably correct that the section you are referencing says men and women are equal, however there are other sections that was otherwise.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
What's the islamic definition of rape?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
googooloo said:
In the Qur'an it actually says that Men and Women are equal. Neither has more power over the other, neither has more rights than the other, and niehter is lesser than the other. Maybe you should use other mediums besides the web, it's not always a useful source. Just saying. (And I am not saying I am immune form crappy net resources. My comment on buddhism overpaowering chrisitanity is one of them...just thought i'd state this before you chucked what I said back in my face.)
bullshit. we already provided like 100 pieces of evidence that clearly show that the quran sais men are seen more superior then women

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
veterandoggy said:
i would expect it to be the same as your definition.
Use the quote button.

So whats your definition of rape? If someone can't define it then there is no point on ranting about rape not being supported by Islam...

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
oh. you mean the verses that show that men get more in heaven? cos we dont know what each person may get in quality/quantity
no.

the verse that state, that men are one degree above the women
the verse that state women also get half of anything that a man will get in inheritance
the verse that sais u need either 2 men or1 man & two women as a witnesses.
that its ok to beat your wife to put her back in line

and others i cant remember of my head

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
SashatheMan said:
no.

the verse that state, that men are one degree above the women
the verse that state women also get half of anything that a man will get in inheritance
the verse that sais u need either 2 men or1 man & two women as a witnesses.
that its ok to beat your wife to put her back in line

and others i cant remember of my head
men are one degree above women? i dont remember it, but it must have reasons accompanying it.

women get half? i thought it was the other way around? again ill look for the verse, if i can find it

women can be more easily swayed by their emotions, that is why. not because of their inferiority, but because of their overcompassion.

beating your wife only rings a bell in my head when it says to beat them with the end of a handkercheif. dont know how mucxh that will put them back in line...

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
veterandoggy said:
women can be more easily swayed by their emotions, that is why. not because of their inferiority, but because of their overcompassion.
Who says?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
erawamai said:
Use the quote button.

So whats your definition of rape? If someone can't define it then there is no point on ranting about rape not being supported by Islam...
i didnt need to if you knew it was for you :)

i would define it as sexual intercourse without consent, hence condemning gang rapers and rapers, if the question to follow will involved them.

googooloo

HSC
To beat is not to bash and make them black and blue. A wack on the arm as u would anyoen else when outraged is what I know of. This comes from my boyfriend, but he has never wacked me like this, adn never intends to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)