Recreational activities during hsc (1 Viewer)

mac1996

HSC
Hey guys
What do you guys think of getting a gym membership during hsc, considering that I am aiming for a 95+ atar. Im playing to go 3 times a week, 1.5hrs each session. Do you think I need to go gym to manage stress levels or is it just going waste my study time? What do you guys think?

deswa1

HSC
Definitely go for it- the HSC can't take over your whole life- you need time to do other stuff. During HSC, I played soccer twice a week, met up with friends at least once a week, still kept up with t.v. shows, movies etc. and stull did well. Obviously I still studied a lot but the point is you have a LOT OF TIME. If you don't procrastinate when you study but actually study, you can smash out enough work to get a very sexy ATAR and still have time left over for other stuff.

And just as a personal tip- everyone I know that got the very highest ATAR's were the most balanced people. Basementing 24/7 doesn't not lead to higher marks because you get tired, don't think as clearly etc

mac1996

HSC
Definitely go for it- the HSC can't take over your whole life- you need time to do other stuff. During HSC, I played soccer twice a week, met up with friends at least once a week, still kept up with t.v. shows, movies etc. and stull did well. Obviously I still studied a lot but the point is you have a LOT OF TIME. If you don't procrastinate when you study but actually study, you can smash out enough work to get a very sexy ATAR and still have time left over for other stuff.

And just as a personal tip- everyone I know that got the very highest ATAR's were the most balanced people. Basementing 24/7 doesn't not lead to higher marks because you get tired, don't think as clearly etc
thanks a lot bro
how did u go for your atar?
i heard you went hectik
"Basementing 24/7 doesn't not lead to higher marks because you get tired, don't think as clearly etc" this is so true, u start to give up and hate what you are doing.
those are wise words my friend

ShayK

HSC
HSC is a one time thing but later in life you will realise it wasn't worth the whole stress. I reckon you should join the gym and what not. I myself played tennis every Tuesday and Thursday and spent atleast 6 hours on Saturday watching tv series and movies. And not trying to offend anyone here, but the kids in my school who were 24/7 studying didn't really do well as now recalling, after the exams they said they really got bored of studying :S

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys
What do you guys think of getting a gym membership during hsc, considering that I am aiming for a 95+ atar. Im playing to go 3 times a week, 1.5hrs each session. Do you think I need to go gym to manage stress levels or is it just going waste my study time? What do you guys think?
I'm going to echo what everyone said here and say you need to do stuff outside school and physical activity is really good.

In my HSC, I still did some dance, went overseas mid year right before trials and major work being due, had a few days of school to do public speaking/debating, had time for a 30 Rock marathon or two, had time to go to 18ths and still had time to do enough study to be thoroughly sick of it by the HSC time and get the results I wanted and over what I needed for my course and scholarship.

5.5 hours on physical activity will be great for you mind and body, that's pretty much what I kept up with dance/pilates and the occasional bikeride.

HKspec009

HSC
The only time i had free was after studying... you get over the stress, can't do much

premskies

HSC
Yes definitely go gym! Very flexible (as opposed to something like Soccer) and is extremely beneficial for your overall health - will in turn help with study and memory retention also. :)

Myans

HSC
Hey guys
In response to Bold: ABSOLUTELY NOT! Healthy body = Healthy mind.

From personal experience, I went jogging 4 or 5 times a week and recited English Quotes, Economics Statistics, Legal Statutes and Mathematics Formulas. If you are worried about time, just combine study with exercise!

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Study smart, not hard. More hours spent studying does not equate to more effective study.

went overseas mid year right before trials
I went overseas for just over 2 weeks, a month before my first HSC exam :) and circumstances meant I had literally zero time to study while there. On the other hand, I made all my friends jealous by posting fb pics of the Italian countryside while they were stuck at home writing practice essays.

deswa1

HSC
Umm for me personally, I probs did around 3 hours a day during these hols but I didn't do anything on Sunday and I also went on holidays during this break too. The trick is say even with 3 or 4 hours, you can do some in the morning and some in the evening and thus still have time to go out etc.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Definitely go for it!! I went to the gym once a week and went for regular walks; throughout holidays, I'd exercise everyday. Exercise reduces stress levels, helps you sleep better, gives you a clearer mind = better marks. Really helped me get through considering I am someone who stresses VERY easily.

mac1996

HSC
thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help. You guys really motivated me to go gym.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)