Repeat hsc? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
I got an atar of 95 and my parents would really like me to do medicine. They are insistent upon me repeating it so I can get a higher score and get into med.
is repeating really a good idea?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No, it is a terrible idea, do not waste a year of your life on that.

Go to uni and try to transfer into med by getting a decent GPA and sit UMAT again, a *lot* of people take this avenue anyway

Good luck!

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
You can take alternative ways to get into med.

I personally wouldn't repeat

HSC
You really wouldn't want to repeat and 95 is a great ATAR, you can do Med Sci and transfer.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It is an utterly terrible idea. Don't do it.

You got a pretty decent mark, there are alternative ways to get to where you want to go.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
You mentioned that your parents really want you to do medicine. May I ask what you want to do?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I got an atar of 95 and my parents would really like me to do medicine. They are insistent upon me repeating it so I can get a higher score and get into med.
is repeating really a good idea?
What do you really want to do? Do not bow down to your parents pressures.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
First off - do what you want not your parents.

Secondly - remind your parents that if you repeat and end up with a lower ATAR that is the one that will count not the higher of the two but the result from 2014.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Repeating is a two-edged sword. It might work for some, but it wouldn't work for others. If you're being forced to repeat by your parents, and it's not because it is what you want, you're highly unlikely to do well again because it's not what you want but it's what your parents forced you into.

If repeating is what you want to do and it's not something which is enforced by others, then by all means go for it. There are people who do repeat and get a higher mark, but that's because it's based on their own determination to do well and they want to get that mark.

But based on OP's post, if you're forced into repeating by your parents, then I would suggest that you forgo this idea of repeating since you won't do well especially if you're forced into something.

Maryanayeah

HSC
NOOOOO OMG HSC ALL OVER AGAIN NO NO NO hhahah don't even think about it!!!! get a AMAZING GPA & THEN TRANSFER!!

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
anyone who thinks repeating HSC is a good idea is a complete idiot.

With a 95 ATAR, go do sciene for a year.. re write UMAT and if you do semi decently thats enough for james cook at least

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
My mate got an 84 ATAR with the medicine goal, repeated the HSC in hopes of 95+, then had some unforeseeable and very tragic events happen (death in family etc etc) and then flunked and got 53. Now he's working at his dad's timber shop full time and has had enough of life, when he could've went into any degree and worked his way up.

Don't repeat. It's not worth it. What you got was meant to be. You don't want to be that person still graduating from year 12 whilst all your friends are entering into their second year of university. You don't want to be that person who got a worse result than before. You don't want to be that person who suddenly comes to the realisation that they're living an uninteresting and unfulfilling life because they wanted to impress their parents.

SanjoyM

HSC
First and foremost, do YOU truly want to pursue Medicine? Are you actually PASSIONATE about the course? Remember, it's YOUR choice, not your parents choice. It's YOUR career, YOUR life!

If you are truly driven to pursue Medicine, I'd recommend Advanced Science or Medical Science, obtaining an incredible GPA (6.5+) and re-sit the UMAT. Now, I know that the UMAT can be utterly horrifying, so there's always GAMSAT and other postgrad opportunities.

Repeating with such a competitive and brilliant ATAR would frankly be ludicrous!!

Follow your impulse, your instincts.. Do YOU really wish repeat? Once again, there are various other avenues for attaining a place in Medicine.

Lastly, congratulations on your ATAR! Very well done :) You should be proud.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
95 is a great ATAR and your parents should be very proud of you. Now to answer your question: DO NOT REPEAT.
There are many pathways that you can follow to attain your goals. Perhaps, you should sit down and ask yourself what you really want to do, what can you see yourself doing in the future? It is your life, and take full control. Don't let others drive you. There are a lot of options available, and believe me a GPA of 6.5+ is very much attainable by a 95 ATAR student. From my experience, I felt the same way last year. I really wanted to do medicine, but my ATAR was so horrible that it's embarrassing to talk about it. It was in the mid-high 80's range, and I was thinking of doing my HSC again at a different school. Yes, I went to a really crappy school (ranked 636/660 this year -.-). But I did not let my ATAR define my potential, and I put in average effort this year and attained a GPA of 6.4/7. Yes, it might not be enough for medicine, but doing a different degree has opened my eyes about other career prospects. Don't be afraid to take risks, maybe do a science degree that is more relevant to medicine. You could also do a completely irrelevant degree, and sit the UMAT. However, this wouldn't ideal if you're keen for GAMSAT.

If your parents really care about prestige, maybe consider a prestigious degree like Law/Science at UTS (you may get in with a 95 ATAR). But like others have said, it is your life. Do what you like and what you would likely succeed in. #YOLO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)