Reputation or scholarship? (1 Viewer)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
ur kinda in the same situation as me

i got offered a scholarship worth $8000 a year for four years at USYD if i do agriculture economics or resource economics. However I want to do Commerce/Law at USYD or UNSW. If I do law, i lose the scholarship. Right now I am leaning more towards commerce/law as my thought is, would I really do the degree if there was no scholarship? Ask yourself, if money was not a factor what degree would you really choose as that is probably the best thing to choose. why? you will be studying for at least 3 years and if you dont enjoy it, it will be the worst 3 years of your life whereas if you enjoy it, it will be the best 3 years of your life.

but whatever you choose, I wish you all the bst of luck with it :D I am ure you will do well either way

smileyhou12

HSC
To be completely honest, I'm not even sure that I actually WANT to do Law! It's just that quite a few people recommended it to me and said that it's useful to have, even if you don't practise afterwards. For now I think I'll go for the straight Arts at USyd, just because I know that's what I want, and then I'll go from there. I don't think the lure of money is worth me limiting my options or being unhappy.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
To be completely honest, I'm not even sure that I actually WANT to do Law! It's just that quite a few people recommended it to me and said that it's useful to have, even if you don't practise afterwards. For now I think I'll go for the straight Arts at USyd, just because I know that's what I want, and then I'll go from there. I don't think the lure of money is worth me limiting my options or being unhappy.
;D Well I'll probably see you there then, I'm planning on doing some philosophy electives.
And I'm glad you're going with what you want to do rather than the money. I hope we both don't regret it XD We won't, we won't.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
;D Well I'll probably see you there then, I'm planning on doing some philosophy electives.
And I'm glad you're going with what you want to do rather than the money. I hope we both don't regret it XD We won't, we won't.
Now see if you did the Philosophy Distinction Course I took, you could skip straight to second and third year. I would love to take ethics electives.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Now see if you did the Philosophy Distinction Course I took, you could skip straight to second and third year. I would love to take ethics electives.
Grr, I had some friends who accelerated who did that. It sounded really good.
I was actually accelerated in English from years 7-10, but I dropped out (even though I was getting straight A's) because I didn't think I was good enough to go on to senior english. The teachers didn't agree with me, but I just didn't have the confidence/maturity for it at that stage.
It worked out well though because I ended up coming first in my grade when I pulled back, haha. The only reason I somewhat regretted it was not being able to do philosophy, but alas, I can do it at uni.

I emailed someone the other day through that uni-advice email, and they briefly mentioned something about being able to go into second year subjects if I do a b Arts (Media/Communications), so maybe I will be able to after all!

saba_saba

HSC
This is my situation too, kind of! I've been offered two scholarships to do Arts/Law at UWS (both $5000 p/year, but I can only take one, I think... it's the Year 11 one and the Academic Excellence one) but I don't know whether I should go to UWS on a scholarship, or go to Macquarie on no scholarship. (I applied for their Merit Scholarship, but I haven't heard back so I guess I didn't get it. :[ ) I'm tempted to go to UWS for the money, but I don't know about the reputation... I mean, ultimately, is it worth it? *is confuuuused*

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
(much prefer USYD, and if I do well I guess I could transfer)

Also, what is the likelihood of me transferring to Sydney from Griffith after a year? Is it impossible?
Keep in mind, once you accept a scholarship you are pretty much locked into that course at that uni. Should you decide to change unis or courses, you will likely need to repay the sum of the scholarship in order to do so (since you are locked into a "contract").

I'm not sure if UNSW will let you transfer to another course WITHIN UNSW without termination of scholarship though. So you should enquire about this at your unis just in case.

smileyhou12

HSC
Keep in mind, once you accept a scholarship you are pretty much locked into that course at that uni. Should you decide to change unis or courses, you will likely need to repay the sum of the scholarship in order to do so (since you are locked into a "contract").

I'm not sure if UNSW will let you transfer to another course WITHIN UNSW without termination of scholarship though. So you should enquire about this at your unis just in case.
Thanks for telling me this! I'll ask at the open days, but I definitely don't want to be stuck at UNSW just for a $4000 scholarship! I'd much prefer to go to Sydney with no scholarship, though the money is going to be very tight!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How come I'm like the only one here in this thread (along with Aquawhite) who hasn't been awarded a scholarship? <_<

BOS people must be super-people or something...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
How come I'm like the only one here in this thread (along with Aquawhite) who hasn't been awarded a scholarship? <_<

I was about to say that I don't have a scholarship either, but then I realised that my job at college next year is a Residential Scholar position... sorry :p

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

The title is "reputation or scholarship" and would hence attract more people in a similar situation. =)
So don't feel too bad :p

Deer

Premium Member
HSC

And you've taken this long to realise that? ;p

I swear, whilst stalking every 'post your ranks!' or 'post your marks!' or 'what atar are you aiming for?!' thread this year, my sense of inadequacy increased ten-fold.

BOS Y U SO SMART!?

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
LOL you kiddies are funny. Don't give up hope though, you might get a scholarship if someone rejects their offer :)

@OP - I'd say go with your guts and go to USyd.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^
LOL you kiddies are funny. Don't give up hope though, you might get a scholarship if someone rejects their offer :)

@OP - I'd say go with your guts and go to USyd.
Yeah, and then seriously get in contact with me and then Griffith to recommend me for how much of a good boy I am ^_^

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You're a boy? I always thought you were a... nevermind. =P

And there's a difference between super smart and scholarship smart apparently now.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You're a boy? I always thought you were a... nevermind. =P

And there's a difference between super smart and scholarship smart apparently now.
Well I'd prefer to be scholarship smart... I rang the university and they said they are still sorting through the applications (of all things - they are slower than USyd, which had thousands of applicants).

I think the username tends to give off a feminine vibe sometimes, noticed that a while back; nonetheless, tis' a good username.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
If Shadow isn't joking about thinking you're a girl then there is something seriously wrong.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I put a "=P", of course I was joking!

Unless my intuition on emoticon use is also wrong <_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)