Results Check / Raw Marks / Exam Responses (1 Viewer)

jniranjan

HSC
Anyone have any data for last year? On the success rate of the results check?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Note that they actually mark much more harshily for Chemistry in the exam room than in probably any school in NSW

so where you may think you did something right, you probably didn't hence resulting in lower mark than expected
lol. Not my teacher, he marks pretty much the same.
I got 71 in the trial raw and got 91 in the HSC.

All up this'll cost me $321.50
Far out. Why so expensive?!

EDIT: Fuck, what a waste of money, what is wrong with me??!?!?!

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
It's ridiculous that transparency costs so much.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
if it was cheap, half the people would be paying for a remark. its only for those people who truly believe an error has been made (or if their parents have deep pockets)

D94

HSC
N/A
if it was cheap, half the people would be paying for a remark. its only for those people who truly believe an error has been made (or if their parents have deep pockets)
So what if I don't want a remark and only want my raw marks (which are accessible directly from a database)? They don't give me an option there to only purchase the raw marks. For me, I'm genuinely curious as to how my raw marks went; I don't believe there's an error but I'm still curious.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So what if I don't want a remark and only want my raw marks (which are accessible directly from a database)? They don't give me an option there to only purchase the raw marks. For me, I'm genuinely curious as to how my raw marks went; I don't believe there's an error but I'm still curious.

You don't believe there was an error but imagine the publicity if you get your raw marks and then it is obvious that there was an error - that would impact the confidence in the system - that is my understanding as to why the BOS is doing it this way - to circumvent some bad publicity if they have made an error. They have been bitten before so this is a circuit-breaker to prevent it happening again.

Do I agree with it? No but then I think you should be getting your raw marks instead of aligned ones anyway.

D94

HSC
N/A
You don't believe there was an error but imagine the publicity if you get your raw marks and then it is obvious that there was an error - that would impact the confidence in the system - that is my understanding as to why the BOS is doing it this way - to circumvent some bad publicity if they have made an error. They have been bitten before so this is a circuit-breaker to prevent it happening again.

Do I agree with it? No but then I think you should be getting your raw marks instead of aligned ones anyway.
Chances are that BOS has indeed made errors, as seen in previous years. I doubt there would be that much publicity, when BOS publicly announces there were clerical errors. Confidence and transparency are linked, but tactical deterrents to avoid ease of transparency doesn't help their aim for public confidence. Now I am less confident in the BOS because they've placed a financial deterrent. It gives the appearance that there is a cover up of marks or they don't have confidence in themselves.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Chances are that BOS has indeed made errors, as seen in previous years. I doubt there would be that much publicity, when BOS publicly announces there were clerical errors. Confidence and transparency are linked, but tactical deterrents to avoid ease of transparency doesn't help their aim for public confidence. Now I am less confident in the BOS because they've placed a financial deterrent. It gives the appearance that there is a cover up of marks or they don't have
confidence in themselves.

I understand your argument but remember relatively few students ask for rechecks and even so they always find some errors. All the BOS is trying to do, in my opinion, is prevent more bad publicity by making sure that any raw marks given are accurate.

As I have said I think all students should be getting their raw marks (that is what I believe you should have received yesterday) but I can see why the BOS is taking this approach - to prevent bad publicity over errors AND to stop the raw marks from getting out there - remember they fought for years to stop anyone ever seeing their raw marks.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
May I ask where you get told this?

Every time I have marked we have been told to award as many marks as possible - and from talking to other markers in other subjects they are told the same thing - to be a generous with marks as possible, unlike how we are at school, where we are harsh to try to get students to do better.
Well in the sciences, markers, as you say, probably do try to award as many marks as possible, but they are restricted by the ridiculous marking criteria.
If, for example, on a seven marker question, you happen to miss out one point, regardless of how minor it is, the marker is forced to give you say a 5/7 at maximum.

Hence, what I'm trying to say is that one may have thought that they had completely gunned a question, but due to the guidelines that the markers have to follow (which looking at past exam notes from the Marking Centre is much more rigourous than in most schools), may have lost numerous marks where they would not have expected to have.

lucyc19

HSC
So if we think they made a mistake we call them tomorrow cause it says from 15th it allows you to check but our ATAR gets released then so can the ATAR change if they were a mistake?

The ATAR changes but I think someone else has misunderstood -if you pay for a check and your original reported mark was higher than it should have been, you lose them and the ATAR could go down too.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The ATAR changes but I think someone else has misunderstood -if you pay for a check and your original reported mark was higher than it should have been, you lose them and the ATAR could go down too.

No - you can't either lose marks or have your ATAR go down - they will only change it in your favour.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well in the sciences, markers, as you say, probably do try to award as many marks as possible, but they are restricted by the ridiculous marking criteria.
If, for example, on a seven marker question, you happen to miss out one point, regardless of how minor it is, the marker is forced to give you say a 5/7 at maximum.

Hence, what I'm trying to say is that one may have thought that they had completely gunned a question, but due to the guidelines that the markers have to follow (which looking at past exam notes from the Marking Centre is much more rigourous than in most schools), may have lost numerous marks where they would not have expected to have.
That would mean that the school isn't marking properly. Any school not using an HSC style marking guideline is misleading their students. My school always uses the same type of criteria so that the kids get the right idea of what will be needed at the HSC.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It can't go down.
Cem is a very knowledgable and respected member of this community and is most likely correct.

zhiying

HSC
Chemistry marks harshly, harsher than schools for sure.

Official and my source, our chemistry teacher(s), senior markers for chemistry

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Chemistry marks harshly, harsher than schools for sure.

Official and my source, our chemistry teacher(s), senior markers for chemistry

Differs from the Chemistry teachers at my school - one of whom is also a SM - and a former colleague who has been the SOM of Chemistry. They have said that they give marks at HSC marking that they wouldn't give at school - as per the norm across all subjects. Any school who doesn't mark more harshly than the HSC is badly preparing their students as the students aren't learning what is needed to get marks in the exams.

ReneeApple

HSC
They have said that they give marks at HSC marking that they wouldn't give at school - as per the norm across all subjects.
This is what I've always heard. That's why I'm a bit lost as to why my HSC marks were so low. The aligned marks that I got were similar to a raw mark that I would normally get in that subject - and all my teachers have been HSC markers and have said they're marking stricter than in the HSC to get us to where we need to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)