Rudd to ban thin models (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
How dare a government attempt to look after its citizens? The government is there to simply look pretty. The people should be a free market and govern themselves - works well for Somalia.

MissSarajevo

HSC
mattchis said:
It will never work anyway - Not trying to be mean or anything, but if your a clothing company and want to make your clothing look really good - your not going to put them on an overweight person and take pictures and put them in a magazine . . .
Jennifer hawkins is certainly not thin and she looks perfect for those magazine.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
How dare a government attempt to look after its citizens? The government is there to simply look pretty. The people should be a free market and govern themselves - works well for Somalia.
lol

coz not increasing acceptance of fat people to appease scum == anarchy

truth is, if it was howard doing the same thing you'd be calling him a fascist or some rubbish

no principles

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
The government should not be able to censor what people can and can't do on the basis of body size e.g. saying "no, you can't model because we've decided you're too small". Which is how I see this. Plus I really don't see how you can tell what a healthy size is without doing a thorough physical examination of every model that walks through the door which is a little impractical.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
will said:
lol

coz not increasing acceptance of fat people to appease scum == anarchy

truth is, if it was howard doing the same thing you'd be calling him a fascist or some rubbish

no principles
Oh so the government is there only to prevent anarchy?
BTW, comrade, I'm certainly not supporting the self important daddy campaign Rudd is waging, but this particular instance is of no bearing on me and I don't see too many evils coming out of it.

cosmic doris said:
Plus I really don't see how you can tell what a healthy size is without doing a thorough physical examination of every model that walks through the door which is a little impractical.
o_0

They er, do it with almost every sportsperson...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's entirely possible that she's naturally that thin. I mean, you can see my ribs and I eat tonnes!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
That made no sense. Improve your argument.
Okay, I said it would be impractical to give every single model a health check before they were allowed to get on the catwalk (assuming this has to be done every single time), you responded by saying that sportspeople do it all the time. I don't see the connection, they are two different industries. It would be impractical to introduce the same kind of measures used for athletes into the modelling industry. The designers need models to show their designs, the models want work, if they're lucky and have the right image to succeed at the time they're pursuing a career, they get it. That's how it works, it's completely not like the job of an athlete.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Oh so the government is there only to prevent anarchy?
BTW, comrade, I'm certainly not supporting the self important daddy campaign Rudd is waging, but this particular instance is of no bearing on me and I don't see too many evils coming out of it.

o_0

They er, do it with almost every sportsperson...
the anarchy strawman (somalia) was yours, not mine

so you're ok with the government interfering in peoples' lives unnecessarily as long as it doesn't affect you

like i said, no principles

if the government is really worried about childhood obesity/body-image issues etc. there's plenty of things they could look at
1) Technological age (computers etc)
2) Fast-food culture
3) Lack of parental responsibility
4) Lack of proper school based PE initiatives
5) bullying in schools
Australia has the least physically active kids in the world
It comes from schools & families, not skinny models, ffs

the government isn't attempting to "look after its citizens", it's applying bandaid solutions to appeal to prejudiced old people that won't help anything

social policy, Today Tonight style

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Charity F said:
I didn't say it is, but I do see a problem with making snap judgements like that based on photographs. She may be unhealthily thin, then again she may not be. It's what I was trying to say before about small sizes being perfectly OK as long as you're not damaging yourself to get there. If that model is doing herself harm then it's not okay for her own wellbeing but I don't see a problem with letting her model if that's what she wants to do.

edit: look through all the pictures on that page, most of them are actually pretty OK imo. One or two that could do with a sandwich but otherwise no problems ...

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sounds l like doris is an angsty thin girl.

The industry is self regulating. If women are so repulsed by the models, they won't buy the dresses being modelled.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
withoutaface said:
Sounds l like doris is an angsty thin girl.

The industry is self regulating. If women are so repulsed by the models, they won't buy the dresses being modelled.
hahahahaha no I just hate it when people rag on skinny women for setting unrealistic expectations or whatever other bullshit they can think of :eek:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
cosmic doris said:
Okay, I said it would be impractical to give every single model a health check before they were allowed to get on the catwalk (assuming this has to be done every single time), you responded by saying that sportspeople do it all the time. I don't see the connection, they are two different industries. It would be impractical to introduce the same kind of measures used for athletes into the modelling industry. The designers need models to show their designs, the models want work, if they're lucky and have the right image to succeed at the time they're pursuing a career, they get it. That's how it works, it's completely not like the job of an athlete.
I still don't follow. You measure the health of the person in focus and then you either do or do not let them perform. This is how it should work - people should not be taken advantage of if they're hideously unhealthy, be they a steroid pumped wrestler on the verge of a heart attack or a model who is dangerously underweight. Allowing models to gain employment in a given industry is not more important than preserving their health.

I don't see how or why it would be impractical to conduct widespread health checks on models over athletes either. Explain that without talking about how dangerously important it is for models to succeed in the modelling industry even at the risk of their own health?

Will said:
so you're ok with the government interfering in peoples' lives unnecessarily as long as it doesn't affect you
Well, obviously, but I'm not in a position to fairly judge whether my own personal goals are for the betterment of society, am I? If I were about to blow up Sydney Harbour Bridge, I wouldn't want the government to stop me (theoretically speaking). I would expect them to try though, and I imagine that most would say that's understandable. Dig?

Will said:
if the government is really worried about childhood obesity/body-image issues etc. there's plenty of things they could look at
1) Technological age (computers etc)
2) Fast-food culture
3) Lack of parental responsibility
4) Lack of proper school based PE initiatives
5) bullying in schools
Australia has the least physically active kids in the world
It comes from schools & families, not skinny models, ffs
What are you, a moron? Aside form the first, governments in Australia have done a tonne in regards to those things.

waf said:
What a load of manure.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
lol, anarchy and terrorists

now you just need a strawman about hitler to complete the trifecta

obviously they've done fuck all if we still have the least physically active kids in the world

it's about changing the culture of laziness and blaming everyone else

banning random things just makes that exact culture worse

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
lol, anarchy and terrorists

now you just need a strawman about hitler to complete the trifecta

obviously they've done fuck all if we still have the least physically active kids in the world

it's about changing the culture of laziness and blaming everyone else

banning random things just makes that exact culture worse
Yeah I noted that you pointed out 'bullying in schools', the evidence from Singapore at least is that increasing bullying and peer pressure leads to better results in overweight children.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
lol, really?

i was thinking in terms of body-image problems leading to eating disorders

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I still don't follow. You measure the health of the person in focus and then you either do or do not let them perform. This is how it should work - people should not be taken advantage of if they're hideously unhealthy, be they a steroid pumped wrestler on the verge of a heart attack or a model who is dangerously underweight. Allowing models to gain employment in a given industry is not more important than preserving their health.

I don't see how or why it would be impractical to conduct widespread health checks on models over athletes either. Explain that without talking about how dangerously important it is for models to succeed in the modelling industry even at the risk of their own health?
Obviously we are misunderstanding each other. I don't think health testing would be a bad thing, and I'm certainly not advocating exploiting people who are not physically fit to work. I'm just saying that considering the relative lack of regulation in the modelling industry as it stands now, that to suddenly introduce measures where every model has to undergo a health check every time she steps onto the runway, would be quite hard to establish and regulate. For sure it would be a good idea. Actually making it happen in a way that can be monitored properly is a whole other thing, girls will slip through without being checked, how are you going to stop that?

Also I would worry about models who are just naturally quite stick like being turned away from jobs on the basis of stupid measures like BMI.

And another thing, at the end of the day I really think it's up to every individual person to take responsibility for their health, not for other people to do it for them. Girls who starve themselves to be skinny are ridiculously stupid but I'm not going to say I think we should step in there and force them to stop, at some point it's gotta be up to you to take control of your own circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)