Rudd to ban thin models (1 Viewer)

Mothers

Banned
HSC
I think models should be thinner. Anybody want to second that?

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
And the thing is, it's what society itself seems to demand from the designers and models. We have plus sized models and typical models, and the typical ones are the ones viewed most often and the ones who get the most publicity. This is because this is what we want to see, so thats what they give us =)
Its like Frontline in English.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I think they aussie models I've seen are gorgeous =D

EDIT; having said that, I haven't really seen many.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
I'm getting tired of the fiddling around the edges.
Overaching narrative, go

What do you WANT from us Mr Rudd!?
Lead us and we WILL follow!!1
Finally a reasonable person!

Seriously Mr Rudd. Stop teasing. Give us what we want (you know what that is).

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Also to overly thin people. Eat a chocolate bar.
You know you want to.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
cd said:
When did I say there were any benefits?
You didn't. I just thought that there would be more substance to your argument than the old "liberty is good in and of itself" argument.

I just don't think the government ought to have the power to say what is and isn't an acceptable body type to show. Unless their attitude is going to be "every HEALTHY body is okay no matter what it actually looks like" instead of "someone think of the children, if you're skinny you're a BAD influence on vulnerable girls" there will be no benefit to Rudd's idea.
My guess: There is a MYSTERIOUS CORRELATION between skinny and unhealthy! Same way that there's a correlation between fat and unhealthy! Is this voodoo?

All he wants to do is to get these fashion dealies to stop promoting only one type of body image, as it encourages people to achieve this body image, which is this case is *gasp* unhealthy! IMO: NOT A PROBLEM! :hammer:

Also our opinions on whether someone is "horrifyingly" skinny or not don't really matter. The issue should be health not aesthetics. Someone who looks too skinny to you might be perfectly fine, and its not up to anyone except a doctor to say they aren't.
Mmhmm but other emulate, my dear. Emulation of an uncommon (and hence for the majority, unhealthy as it strays from their norm) body type cannot be a good thing.

Not to mention that I don't think the government should have the right to put limits on people's personal aspirations. We are supposed to live in a free society, if you want to go and do ridiculous things in the name of beauty so you can enter a cutthroat industry that I find it hard to believe anyone really enjoys being in, well so be it. Go right ahead. I shouldn't have the right to stop you just because I don't like what I see.
A free society so much as it maximises the good of the majority, dear citizen.

xJennax

HSC
They were saying they'd still use thin models, but girls who are naturally like that and not too thin. I think it's good they aren't going to be using really bony girls.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Hollieee said:
I think they aussie models I've seen are gorgeous =D

EDIT; having said that, I haven't really seen many.
All women are gorgeous. Except emytaylor.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Exphate said:
Banning skinny models to protect girls from eating disorders.

what's next? Banning Jackass to prevent innocent minds from being raped and forced into stupidy?

This is bullshit.
i'm sure there are plenty of ppl out there who'd like jackass banned coz there's kids doing stupid stunts after watching them...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Exphate said:
Banning skinny models to protect girls from eating disorders.

what's next? Banning Jackass to prevent innocent minds from being raped and forced into stupidy?

This is bullshit.
I know right! They also should unban smoking advertisements, and drugs.

Glorifying something which is detrimental to your health is stupid. So yes, I'm all for banning some of the overly dangerous things done on Jackass.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Hollieee said:
Lol I'm actually quite addicted to both versions. And yeah, Whitney is fucking annoying. Pretty sure she is the most fake person I've ever seen on TV; sort of like a typical American cheerleader type you see in the movies. I didn't think they actually existed, I always thought they were some sort of exaggerated sterotype.. But nevermind. =) When I found out she won I was so surprised. Actually it took me a really long time to realise she was even 'plus size'- I didn't realise ANTM let plus size models on? So yeah, I hardly noticed. Then again, I rarely notice other peoples bodies...

I don't know enough about modelling to be able to pick a true contender. I just know which ones I think are pretty and have a good personality, and which ones are shit. That said, I'd prefer Whitney there than Lauren. Urgh.

Actually, having thought about it all, when I watch the Top Model shows, they motivate me to do exercise. It's really weird. Not because I want to be as skinny as them by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason the show just motivates me to be healthy. Weird =) Maybe it's just cause I wanna be as comfy in a bikini as they are?... Hmmm.

Spoiler: Whitney ends up winning A(merica's)NTM. Plus size bitch, first and last to win in that show, lol.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
i'm sure there are plenty of ppl out there who'd like jackass banned coz there's kids doing stupid stunts after watching them...
I'm sure there are plenty of ppl out there who'd like Hitler banned coz there's kids emulating Nazism.

YOU GOT YOUR WISH! REJOICE!

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
xJennax said:
It annoys me when people assume all models/skinny people have anorexia.
Same. But it also annoys me when people assume that because someone's not skinny that they're lazy and take no pride in themselves...

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Spoiler: Whitney ends up winning A(merica's)NTM. Plus size bitch, first and last to win in that show, lol.
Already said that she won.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
You didn't. I just thought that there would be more substance to your argument than the old "liberty is good in and of itself" argument.

My guess: There is a MYSTERIOUS CORRELATION between skinny and unhealthy! Same way that there's a correlation between fat and unhealthy! Is this voodoo?

All he wants to do is to get these fashion dealies to stop promoting only one type of body image, as it encourages people to achieve this body image, which is this case is *gasp* unhealthy! IMO: NOT A PROBLEM! :hammer:

Mmhmm but other emulate, my dear. Emulation of an uncommon (and hence for the majority, unhealthy as it strays from their norm) body type cannot be a good thing.

A free society so much as it maximises the good of the majority, dear citizen.
Oh for heaven's sake. Skinny does not mean unhealthy, how many times must I say this? You CAN be unhealthily skinny or unhealthily overweight, all I am saying is that the government does not have the right to decide what is healthy in that regard. Unless Mr. Rudd is a doctor, which he is not, he cannot look at a picture of a model and decide whether or not her weight is unhealthy and therefore projecting an unrealistic body image. So someone looks too skinny. So what? You can't prove they are, you don't know they are. I'm not saying all models are beacons of glowing health, just that there aren't many people in a position to judge properly and the government certainly does not number among those people unless they're going to actually bring in health professionals and examine every model under a size 8.

The modelling industry promotes a certain kind of body image. This is a fact of life which I wish people would just get over, tbh. For sure I'd like to see a bit of a mix up; doesn't mean I'm going to go throw up my last meal if it doesn't happen because I have to look like [insert emaciated model]. I stand by what I've said about people being responsible for their own choices. If you are a healthy weight for your own circumstances and you know this and you still aspire to the image of someone who was way luckier genetically than you and has to work way harder than you ever will to maintain their looks, you are a moron and you probably deserve bulimia.

You're also talking about emulation like everyone who reads a fashion magazine or watches a runway show is going to go and starve themselves. It's a deluded minority who do this; again I should point out that it's rarely the only thing behind an eating disorder, if it contributes at all.

As for your last statement, we're talking about people's personal health choices. It's got nothing to do with the good of the majority. A model chooses to not eat enough = personal choice. Someone sees what she looks like and decides to do the same thing = personal choice. It's not as if models stop eating and the rest of the population stops too. Some people will, most of us will just get on with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)