• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rudd to ban thin models (1 Viewer)

inconnuBubble

HSC
just brainwash people like in the giver by lois lowry, when i looked past the opinions of the main character, i found that their society functioned really well..
their lives were so much simpler than ours, it would seem boring to us, except because its their life, its not boring for them at all, its ingenious

biianxsh

HSC
Hollieee said:
I don't think people should call others anything nasty, really. Calling someone fat doesn't exactly inspire the self confidence needed to hit a local gym and get healthy.
You just said yourself that you took offense to someone who called you too thin, and it's the same with being too fat.
And if obesity was accepted in society, little kids wouldn't still get teased for being a bit over weight.

Although I will admit lots of magazines and whatnot are going for the 'real girl' approach (what is that anyway? like a skinny person isn't real?) they're also not encouraging people to be fat. Just healthy in general. Which I think is fine. If you're healthy for you or happy how you are, everyone else should probably just back the fuck off, imo.

I personally think people shouldn't be told they're too fat or too skinny. If its a real problem, someone close to them should get them some sort of help? Teasing only makes things worse.
yay!

Indikaorama

HSC
i don't know, telling them their fat isn't the way to go, but accepting obesity in society is Definitely NOT THE WAY TO Go!

I mean heart disease, diabetes, the list is endless, its stupid to expect something unhealthy to be an accepted part of society, when we know it causes so many problems, its like how cigarettes are being phased out, the same thing should be happening with obesity and childhood eating disorders.

L

lissyrocks56

i think this is really stupid, what about the people who are like naturally that thin and beautiful. what will happen to them.

like its good to use normal sized models but they arent thinking about the people who are naturally small.

why don't they just educate people that starving urself is not the answer.

pink-hickup

HSC
Hollieee said:
You just said yourself that you took offense to someone who called you too thin, and it's the same with being too fat.
And if obesity was accepted in society, little kids wouldn't still get teased for being a bit over weight.
(Sorry only just saw this reply)

I'm not sure whether you misunderstood my point but what you just said -That was precisely my point! People recognise that fat people take offense to being called 'fat' but society fails to recognise that those labelled too thin may also take offense.
And obesity clearly is accepted. Yes 'little kids' that are over weight are teased and what not, but that is because 'little kids' (assuming the age bracket is between about 4-8yrs) see things in black and white - they are not affected by societal values in the same way teens and adults are. And again, lets not forget that 'little kids' are also teased for being too short, too THIN, too smart, too dumb etc. I don't personally believe that societies values should be measured by that of a 5year old.

I've heard so many stories about the overweight child being teased or bullied and then that bully is reprimanded by the teachers, parents etc because -yes- it is wrong. BUT what about when the tall, thin kid is teased by people such as our good friend Mr Rudd? Who is going to stand up for us?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
pink-hickup said:
I'm not sure whether you misunderstood my point but what you just said -That was precisely my point! People recognise that fat people take offense to being called 'fat' but society fails to recognise that those labelled too thin may also take offense.
Being overweight is more socially acceptable for a male than being mid-low weight.

BMI says I'm in the healthy weight range (6 foot, 62kgish), I feel healthy, I'm sure my low weight will help me live a long time, but I get heaps of shit that I should gain more weight. Societies ideas about healthy weight for men is really fucked up. Obesity is normalised. Meh.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
pink-hickup said:
I've heard so many stories about the overweight child being teased or bullied and then that bully is reprimanded by the teachers, parents etc because -yes- it is wrong. BUT what about when the tall, thin kid is teased by people such as our good friend Mr Rudd? Who is going to stand up for us?
I think people should be reprimanded for teasing, and it shouldn't matter who they were teasing or what it was about. I was always bullied when I was younger for being overweight, and no one was ever reprimanded as far as I can recall. Funny thing is, when I look back at pictures, I actually wasn't fat, but I was absolutely convinced that I was, sheerly because of what the other kids said to me.

Yeah, basically the point is people should stop picking on other people's bodies. Rudd included. People need encouragement and positivity, I feel. Not degrading remarks such as being told their body type isn't 'real' because they're thin or being told they have no pride because they're bigger.

People can be healthy at more than one point in the weight spectrum. We shouldn't be told we have to fit one particular size, no matter what it is, because as we've said here, one size doesn't fit all. HEALTH PEOPLE, HEALTH!
=)

Fin.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I think that when you get down to the extremes of the weight spectrum there can be little doubt that it's unhealthy. Nobody is going to look at a 6 foot, 30 kg person and be able to say without any sense of bullshit that they might be healthy. Likewise if the same person was 250 kg. Obviously this person is either dangerously skinny or dangerously overweight.

However, even if we think we can probably make a reasonable judgement as to whether or not someone is an acceptable size to function, the only people who are in a position to formally recognise it and do something about it are the person themselves, and/or their doctor. Rudd may mean well, but he is still not really qualified to make the judgements he's making. He also can't help but generalise; banning skinny models may well take a few unhealthy ones off the catwalk but being so distanced from the individual women means that all he has to go on is an estimate (like bmi, which is bullshit) which will probably result in a bunch of healthy women losing work also. Which is not fair.

Not to mention that "banning" body types has a very negative connotation and he'd probably get much further "encouraging" healthy weights. Oh, and that there are probably a million much more important things going on than fucking skinny people displaying dresses. Does anyone in this thread genuinely care what size models are? I really do not give a shit if they're too skinny. If you don't like seeing it because it makes you feel indequate for whatever weird reason, you know where to throw up your lunch. I'm so over it.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Aha, agreed.
I like that most people on this forum are generally agreeing with what each other has to say. Most people seem to be thinking along the same lines.

It's pretty laughable, when you think about it. Banning skinny models. Banning any body type really, is just ridiculous. Such a twirp =)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
katie tully said:
Fat models defeat the purpose of having models.

Good going Rudd.
I sure as shit don't want to open a magazine and see a subpar looking woman try and sell me clothes.

I want to be able to enjoy the top AND play the xylophone with her ribcage.

No fatties.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Bitches please, if you guys saw fat chicks in a magazine trying to sell you clothes, you wouldn't like it either.

Skinny chicks sell the mystery. They make the top look good. They lull you into a false sense of security; 'wow this top is awesome, i want it, i dont care if i dont have a hope in hell of making it look half as good'

That's the whole point.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
agreed

i disagree in principle with making being overweight/obese more socially acceptable, just because it's more common now

coz what's it gonna do... make more people be happy to become overweight?

lol, positive feedback loop -_-

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Precisely man. There is nothing wrong with being a size 12 or whatever, but obesity and morbid obesity are fucking ridiculous and 'big is beautiful' should not be celebrated.

Moar like, Happy Atherosclerosis Day!

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, trolling fat chicks is a bit of a hoot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)