Rudd v Binge Drinking (1 Viewer)

parnell8

HSC
Re: who IS responsible for teenage binge drinking?

Iron said:
For everyone saying that raising the age limit wont stop underage/binge drinking, what's your proof?
-I wouldnt think for a second that there are more than 5 kids in the country motivated and intelligent enough to make their own booze.
-What parent will justify giving booze to a 17yo who cant buy it for another 4yrs? It's hard enough getting them to teach you to drive.
-What 21yo is going to buy it for a 15, 16, 17yo? 21 is worlds apart from <18
-If clubs/bars are selling it, or it's being stolen, then that's a law and order issue, and will be treated as such.
bahahaha ur kiddin rite lol im currently 17 n hang out wit a few 21 yr olds every now n then n they have bought me grog on many occasions lol ive had 30 yr old sisters bfs by it for me for fuk sakes buyin it for sum1 is as easy as buyin it urself that will neva stop

make it themselfs ummm they arent now so wat would changin the law have to do wit that lol they would get it how theyv always known stole got sum1 to buy it.

my parents were allowin me to drink at the age of 15 3 yrs before im 18 n well fuk me wat ur tellin me is that parents dont buy grog for 17 yrs olds in usa lol ur a joke serious my mum wouldnt second guess buyin it for me atleast she knows wat i am drinkin

as for the clubs n pubs umm its an lae issue now n ummm im gonna say it doesnt stop a dam thing laws are brocken every day

LOOK ITS AS SIMPLE AS SOCIAL NORMS AND SOCIAL NETWORKS TO DO THIS ARE IN PLACE AND PEOPLE DONT CHANGE CAUSE SOME KNOB IN A SUIT WHO HALF OF THE HEAVY BINGES HAVE NEVA HEARD OF SAYS THEY CANT DO IT.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Okok im convinced.
I was a fool to think that government could take on the 15-20yo bracket.
Sorry to all.

parnell8

HSC

Iron said:
lol no. I just doubt that owners will be willing to risk their licences or that police will be willing to overlook.
I liked some of your points, but on balance I really dont see how the laws will be effectively subverted
u do realise they loose their license now if they break it n it happens now wats gonna change its same penalty and same law being broken

HSC

I remember going to Karaoke World at 17, I was already smashed by the time i'd entered and the guy at the bar didn't care, he was even recommending me drinks which I hadn't tried yet, even when I was obviously shitfaced. I ended up watching the sun rise while simultaneously puking my guts out with a pleasant taste of raspberry.(Can't believe the crap I used to drink.)

So yeah, if you want to prove the current drinking laws are too lax, then first see what happens when they're actually enforced.

Muz4PM

HSC

parnell8 said:
bahahaha ur kiddin rite lol im currently 17 n hang out wit a few 21 yr olds every now n then n they have bought me grog on many occasions lol ive had 30 yr old sisters bfs by it for me for fuk sakes buyin it for sum1 is as easy as buyin it urself that will neva stop

make it themselfs ummm they arent now so wat would changin the law have to do wit that lol they would get it how theyv always known stole got sum1 to buy it.

my parents were allowin me to drink at the age of 15 3 yrs before im 18 n well fuk me wat ur tellin me is that parents dont buy grog for 17 yrs olds in usa lol ur a joke serious my mum wouldnt second guess buyin it for me atleast she knows wat i am drinkin

as for the clubs n pubs umm its an lae issue now n ummm im gonna say it doesnt stop a dam thing laws are brocken every day

LOOK ITS AS SIMPLE AS SOCIAL NORMS AND SOCIAL NETWORKS TO DO THIS ARE IN PLACE AND PEOPLE DONT CHANGE CAUSE SOME KNOB IN A SUIT WHO HALF OF THE HEAVY BINGES HAVE NEVA HEARD OF SAYS THEY CANT DO IT.
Such eloquence.

However, I do agree so far as saying that even if the drinking age is lifted to twenty one, people will still obtain alcohol in the same means as they did before they were eighteen.

HSC

Personally I would like to see a decrease in binge drinking through the introduction of safer party drugs.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

zimmerman8k said:
The question is more is it worth it, and should the government be intervening in something that only harms those that choose to use it?
An excellent point. Milton smoking analogy also noted (plagiarism: worth it).
Im sure that the less jaded could point out the various stakeholders harmed by it (stress on working families, drain on strained police, clot on congested hospitals, tiring for teachers, blight on battered businesses), but not me dear, oh no dear

HSC

Iron said:
An excellent point. Milton smoking analogy also noted (plagiarism: worth it).
Im sure that the less jaded could point out the various stakeholders harmed by it (stress on working families, drain on strained police, clot on congested hospitals, tiring for teachers, blight on battered businesses), but not me dear, oh no dear
I don't think the same argument can be applied to smoking, as the act alone can cause damage to the health of those around you, whereas only after excessive drinking does the probability that you will do damage to others rise, and even then it is not guaranteed.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Trampoline Man said:
I don't think the same argument can be applied to smoking, as the act alone can cause damage to the health of those around you, whereas only after excessive drinking does the probability that you will do damage to others rise, and even then it is not guaranteed.
Oo. Penny's dropped. Watch out for this one. Welcome aboard matey.
Esotericism: worth it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Cost of premixes to be upped by $15 a case

Daily Telegraph said:
Alcopop taxes plan to halt child drinking

By Heath Aston

April 19, 2008 07:49am
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

* Budget measure could push up alcopop price
* Australia has highest per capita consumption
* Drinkers to be slugged with hotels' fees

THE price of spirit-based pre-mixed drinks favoured by younger drinkers will likely rise as the Federal Government fights the youth binge-drinking epidemic.

The cost of a case of "alcopop" products such as Bacardi Breezer, Smirnoff Ice and Jim Beam and Cola, would rise by up to $15 a case, restoring the "cost barrier" that the Howard government removed.

The idea has the support of the medical fraternity, with doctors worried by the damage being done by a category of drinks they say has allowed more kids to get more drunk over the past decade.

The Budget measure - believed to have the support of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Health Minister Nicola Roxon - would reverse the price drop brought about by the introduction of the GST in 2000.

While the price of premium beer rose slightly, alcopops fell by 20 per cent, leading to an explosion in their consumption.

Confidential alcohol industry research obtained by The Daily Telegraph shows, for the first time, the grip alcopops have on young Australians compared with the rest of the world.

Australia has the highest per capita consumption of alcopops in the world, double that of the next biggest consumers, Britain and New Zealand.

Australians drink an average 15.7 litres of alcopop beverages, compared with 7.7 litres in NZ and just 2.1 litres in the US, according the figures compiled by Impact Databank.

Australian Bureau of Statistics research released this week showed consumption rose from 15.3 million litres in 2005

to 18.1 million litres in 2007 - the fastest growing category of all drinks.

Forty-five per cent of girls as young as 12 surveyed by the Australian Divisions of General Practice said their last drink was an alcopop, compared with 8 per cent saying it was beer and 11 per cent wine.

The Australian General Practice Network's chairman Dr Tony Hobbs said the "alarming" consumption of alcopops had to be curbed.

"Drinks need to be priced appropriately. This tax loophole needs to be closed so that drinks become more expensive, restoring the cost barrier to consumption," he said.

Consumption slumped in Britain, when the government in 2002 raised taxes on alcopops by 40 per cent amid similar concern over excessive youth drinking.

Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia's Paul Dillon said alcopops allowed kids to get drunk from a far younger age.

"It used to be that young guys tried beer and girls had a wine cooler or passion pop. They had far less alcohol content and were harder to use to get drunk," he said.

"We have no idea yet what liver damage might be being done by young kids drinking high-alcohol content drinks."

The Rudd Government minister responsible for alcohol policy, Senator Jan McLucas railed against alcopops when in she was in Opposition.

In a Parliamentary speech in 2004 the Labor Senator recalled a colleague's 10-year-old child who described an alcopop drink as "sweet and fizzy and tastes just like soft drinks".

Yesterday Senator McLucas would not comment on whether tax on pre-mixed drinks would be raised in the May Budget.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23564156-2,00.html

Yeah, apparently Jim Beam is an 'alcopop' now.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Re: Cost of premixes to be upped by $15 a case

so, will price rises actually stop anyone from buying / drinking as much?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

No, but I am going to firebomb parliament.

EDIT: I'm angry Ash. I'm angry.

neafoo

HSC

Fucking shit. I'm allergic to beer and these premix cola drinks etc are the only things that aren't massively strong that i can drink.

MsStrawberry

HSC

So, does this mean Vodka Cruisers as well?

Cos I love them, especially the red ones!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Wow wall to wall Labor is bringing more shit policies now than ever before.

Plus it will probably make people steal alcohol more...well at least Aboriginal kids have a excuse if they want their pension(our tax money) increased. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)