Rudd v Binge Drinking (1 Viewer)

jcurry

HSC
Re: Rudd sets aside $53-million to tackle binge drinking

Graney said:
Never had more than 3 drinks in 2 hours?
never had more than 3 drinks in 1night?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Re: who IS responsible for teenage binge drinking?

passing out on a randoms lawn is rooted in australian culture...

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC

rudd pulled out one of his cards. he has similar tactics to the labour (sic) party of Britain, most notably of Blair who- whenever something bad turned up - the revelation of his consideration of docking the welfare payments- he would bring a magic hat out of his bag. ie. this scheme.

hes a jerk for not implementing it sooner..

24lover

HSC
Re: who IS responsible for teenage binge drinking?

Graney said:
Everyone in this thread is a binge drinker.
not I =P

i try to drink as much as i can sometimes......the max i get up to is 2 bottles haha (and most of the time my boyfriend has a couple of gulps)

once i did drink 3?

yeah, i was gone LOL (weak)

Alissia

HSC

man my parents let me drink from a young age but that dnt mean i got an alco problem besides the fact everyone says that i do! .. i agree wit d guy up above, its our choice if we wanna drink aint no body forcing us to!:hammer:

HalcyonSky

HSC

so, newcastle has a 1am curfew now. No drinks over 5% alcohol content can be served after 10pm, and I think after 10 we're limited to 4 drinks per patron, dont know how they follow that up but whatever. No drinks served after 2:30am, with standard 3am closing time.
Wonder if that will fix any of the roudiness and STD problems we have

Zrap

glock9
HSC

They say its UN-AUSTRALIAN to not drink, that's what fucked people up.
It's also UN-AUSTRALIAN to be a pussy so like Chopper Reed once
said, Harden the fuck up

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

HalcyonSky said:
Wonder if that will fix any of the roudiness and STD problems we have
Really never seen much violence, just stay away from 24 hour maccas/king street in the early hours.

Residences at Newcastle Uni have new Alcohol and drug guidelines for residents including such fun as-
  • Alcohol free periods in all common areas from 1am to 12 noon, 7 days.
  • No drinking games ever.
  • No pub crawl ever.
  • No spectators/athletes drinking at sporting events.
What happened Newcastle? Farewell days of rowdy abandon. Next they'll cancel Autonomy day.

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

people usually drink that bit too much because they think they are tanks and whatnot, trying to impress their mates or the chicks. god help men and their livers if the day comes when you get laid just because you had 10000 beers that night.

why don't people just fken stop when they know they are tipsy?

Evan11

HSC

wuddie said:
people usually drink that bit too much because they think they are tanks and whatnot, trying to impress their mates or the chicks. god help men and their livers if the day comes when you get laid just because you had 10000 beers that night.

why don't people just fken stop when they know they are tipsy?
for a lot of people, like when u get older, the order of drinking changes. like, when ur young, u drink a bit, and u feel it and u feel different so you know ur tispy or drunk or gone. but when ur a bit older, u dont feel changes, u just slowly realise "hey the conversation is flowing" or "shit i shouldnt hav said that", but yeah, its harder to tell what stage you are at.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

When you're older it's harder to realise what stage you're at?

Really?

Wow, I totally absolutely disagree. If anything, you better understand how you drink; what you prefer, what you can't handle, what you shouldn't mix, how much you should drink, what can you get away with if you intend to drive (full license) etc.

(At least in my experience and what I have observed with my friends anyway.)

Anyway, I fear this will stray off topic...

Evan11

HSC

ur_inner_child said:
When you're older it's harder to realise what stage you're at?

Really?

Wow, I totally absolutely disagree. If anything, you better understand how you drink; what you prefer, what you can't handle, what you shouldn't mix, how much you should drink, what can you get away with if you intend to drive (full license) etc.

(At least in my experience and what I have observed with my friends anyway.)

Anyway, I fear this will stray off topic...
nah but when ur like 15/16 and u hav some drinks its like "WHOAH!!!!" and it hits u and u realise u are drunk. maybe its just cause ur used to it or whatever, but when ur older it just feels more natural as u ease into a different mind frame.

Evan11

HSC

Schroedinger said:
Not really but. I passed out vomiting heaps when i was younger and now I just pass out.

Difference. Yeah.
congrats. am i the only one that feels this way, that u sometimes dont even register that u are drinking, it just happens? coz to be honest its so subtle that i cant tell when im tipsy or gonskies until i really think about it, which is why its hard to "just stop drinkign when ur tipsy" which wouldnt be too bad an idea were it practical for me.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

So back on topic... ish

Evan11

HSC

ur_inner_child said:
So back on topic... ish
oh, right sorry. 53 mil? why waste it for, better to put it towards liver rehabilitation centres

HSC
Message on a bottle for binge drinkers & Drinking Age Raised to 21 is on the cards

Message on a bottle for binge drinkers

Stephanie Peatling
March 24, 2008

BOTTLES of alcoholic drinks could soon carry graphic pictures warning of the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption as part of the Federal Government's latest series of measures to cut down on under-age and binge drinking.

At a meeting of state and federal leaders in Adelaide on Wednesday the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, will tell his state colleagues he also wants national guidelines covering the responsible service of alcohol and uniform standards on the serving of alcohol to minors, including training for bar staff.

The Minister for Health, Nicola Roxon, said yesterday there was "no coherent national approach to tackling binge drinking among young people".

"While young people must take greater personal responsibility for their behaviour, binge drinking is a community-wide problem that demands a community-wide response … What is lacking is a consistently tough message," Ms Roxon said.

The Federal Government is concerned that the penalties for bar attendants and licensees found to be selling alcohol to people under the age of 18 vary from state to state and wants the inconsistencies ironed out.

In NSW, a licensee found guilty of supplying alcohol to minors can be fined $6600 but in Queensland the fine is as high as $18,750 and in South Australia the penalty is $20,000.

"State and territory laws relating to secondary supply are currently inconsistent," Ms Roxon said. "For example, in some states, it is deemed acceptable if a minor is supervised by an adult. In some states, restrictions on supplying alcohol to minors only relate to licensed premises, or to public venues."

Labels on alcohol containers could mimic the graphic pictures on cigarette packets that are intended to scare people off smoking by showing them photographs of gangrenous limbs and ulcerated mouths.

The Federal Government is on a crusade against binge and under-age drinking. Earlier this month Mr Rudd said he wanted to "scare the living daylights" out of binge-drinking teenagers with a graphic Grim Reaper-style advertising campaign warning of the health risks of excessive alcohol consumption.

As part of a $53.5 million national binge-drinking strategy endorsed by cabinet earlier this month, the Government will require sporting clubs to introduce codes of conduct on responsible drinking behaviour for players, officials and members.
The latest plans came as two brewing companies announced they would ban "alcopops" - the high-energy, high-sugar alcoholic drinks favoured by many younger drinkers.

Any move towards warning labels on liquor bottles and cans would put the Government in the good books of the Family First senator Steve Fielding, who has been calling for such a system to be introduced.

His vote in the Senate will be crucial after July 1, when the Government will require his support along with that of the South Australian independent Nick Xenophon and the five Greens senators to pass legislation.

But the Government has not yet gone as far as expressing support for Senator Fielding's plans to put a 9pm curfew on alcohol advertising, a plan being investigated by a Senate committee.

That committee is also examining the effectiveness of putting warning labels on bottles and cans.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-binge-drinkers/2008/03/23/1206206927424.html

Honestly, can lazy moral crusaders who think their work is done by putting gruesome stickers on everything just fuck off already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Re: Moral crusaders strike again

Trampoline Man said:
Honestly, can lazy moral crusaders who think their work is done by putting gruesome stickers on everything just fuck off already?
No.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

Stickers will probably go some tiny distance (probably with the lil kids who are under 16)

But if they want to do something for the people over 18, the government needs to increase the severity of the punishments if they get caught.

HSC

fernando said:
But if they want to do something for the people over 18, the government needs to increase the severity of the punishments if they get caught.
Get caught doing what, drinking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)