Rudd's "Education Revolution" (1 Viewer)

Do you support the change in curriculum for all Australian Schools?

• Yes, I strongly support

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I support

• No, I oppose

• No, I strongly oppose

• Total voters

ilikebeeef

HSC
teach kids about dinosaurs, which would include some science and history, and then get them to paint pictures of them!

Oh fuck man, I still love dinosaurs.
As reflected in your signature. :)

my mother has been explicitly instructed by her school principle to teach the NAPLAN test, forget about real education, its a thing for the universities to deal with
Oh shit..

I know but the school needs to give parents what they want and parents think they want good naplan results.
The Government want to quantitatively show the parents that they're, as they say, "improving national standards" because if they did it qualitatively, people would most likely say "Hey, why are you so sure that everyone is doing so well? Where are the statistics to prove this? Where are the marks?"

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's still up for discussion, so this is where all the teachers and parents and stakeholders who weren't involved in the writing process will hopefully be able to make some important changes.

Hopefully. All the people in my course have been encouraged to contribute, since we'll be the ones implementing it.

HSC
Uni Grad
So for people doing teaching does that mean what we are learning (at least in part) is redundant before we even get through a semester?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Not really. Effective pedagogy will still be effective with the new syllabus, and the bulk of the syllabi will be the same as before. Maybe a couple more things added and some new ideas or perspectives.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
will accreditation for us people who are doing teaching be effected? Would there still be a NSW Teachers Federation.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I think nationalising the curriculum is a good idea, but I definitely see the labor policy emphasis thus far.
It will be interesting to see exactly how this will effect year 11 and 12 in the years after the K-10 curriculum has been introduced. I reckon before long, the whole education system will be changed and there won't be such a thing as the HSC anymore. It'll have some other arbitrary name.

On a different note, I also heard from two reputable sources, that the method of cylindrical slicing in Volumes is also being scrapped in MX2 :/ And also that along with a national curriculum will come a universal scientific calculator. Whether it's recommended or compulsory is another thing though...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
This is just the curriculum being implemented, not a changing in teacher standards or accreditation.

The Graduate Teacher Standards are not being changed, and this is what your accreditation is based on.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
This is just the curriculum being implemented, not a changing in teacher standards or accreditation.

The Graduate Teacher Standards are not being changed, and this is what your accreditation is based on.
ok thanks for that :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
on a different note, i also heard from two reputable sources, that the method of cylindrical slicing in volumes is also being scrapped in mx2 :/ and also that along with a national curriculum will come a universal scientific calculator. Whether it's recommended or compulsory is another thing though...
o.o

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC
On a different note, I also heard from two reputable sources, that the method of cylindrical slicing in Volumes is also being scrapped in MX2 :/ And also that along with a national curriculum will come a universal scientific calculator. Whether it's recommended or compulsory is another thing though...
True as most volumes qs use shells these days.

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
this will just be a way for them to indoctrinate students with their bullshit starting from grade 1.

in geography theyll learn nothing but the perils of "climate change"

in history theyll learn everything from a "black armband" point of view, all about how YT has displaced the coonis aboriginalis, "sorry day", "invasion day", and little else...

no matter what your politics, it clearly is an opportunity for indoctrination.... remember that the government you prefer will not always be the ones in power.......

also it is an attempt, i believe to try and bring down private schools to the level of state schools. completely unfair given that people from many private schools pay $20 000 more per year for a better standard of education.... why not try to lift the performance of the state schools rather than enforce some sub-standard gov't rubbish on the private schools

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I think it's important for kids to talk about issues that they'll be hearing about in the news. They don't exist in a bubble, and climate change is an important issue regardless of how you feel about it. Let the students research, debate and discuss it.

ilikebeeef

HSC
this will just be a way for them to indoctrinate students with their bullshit starting from grade 1.

in geography theyll learn nothing but the perils of "climate change"

in history theyll learn everything from a "black armband" point of view, all about how YT has displaced the coonis aboriginalis, "sorry day", "invasion day", and little else...

no matter what your politics, it clearly is an opportunity for indoctrination.... remember that the government you prefer will not always be the ones in power.......

also it is an attempt, i believe to try and bring down private schools to the level of state schools. completely unfair given that people from many private schools pay $20 000 more per year for a better standard of education.... why not try to lift the performance of the state schools rather than enforce some sub-standard gov't rubbish on the private schools
Why would that bring private schools down? Private schools aren't THAT different from public schools besides the fact they are more expensive and may be more religious - it's not like they have their own curricula. Rudd IS trying to lift the disadvantaged public schools, that's the point of his whole "Education Revolution".

Is it true that you don't get to see a periodic table until year 10?...
Well I'm pretty sure existing periodic tables on classroom walls won't be confiscated or something.

HSC
Yea but to actually learn about it in year 10? Isn't that just ......a bit too late >_>.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I'm not sure how the new curriculum would drop the standards of private schools?

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
Why would that bring private schools down? Private schools aren't THAT different from public schools besides the fact they are more expensive and may be more religious - it's not like they have their own curricula. Rudd IS trying to lift the disadvantaged public schools, that's the point of his whole "Education Revolution".

Well I'm pretty sure existing periodic tables on classroom walls won't be confiscated or something.

Private schools are "that" different. in my state of QLD, only one state school got into the 100 highest achieveing schools last yr (a selective state school) .... there is CLEARLY a massive difference

sure, i agree, state schools on the whole perform abysmally and something needs to be done about this.... but,at least according to teachers who have worked in both kinds of schools, the work done in the higher end private schools simply cannot be compared with what happens in state schools. think about it, there is no "not careing" when parents are forking out 20 grand per year. if they dont care then the money will be spent elsewhere

i see this as a kind of an "equaliser" in that it aims to make what the schools teach more similar

this is the wrong approach as it will limit some schools, ..... just concentrate on trying to lift the performance of the lower-end schools

but what i said about indoctrination is by far the most important point.

it will not just be allowing students to "discuss" climate change --- it will be feeding them the stuff like its a proven gospel fact.

no room for dissent whatsoever

doesnt matter what party you support, when the other side is in, a national curriculum can just as easily be used as a vehicle for indoctrination/enforcing views of that party....

ilikebeeef

HSC
Private schools are "that" different. in my state of QLD, only one state school got into the 100 highest achieveing schools last yr (a selective state school) .... there is CLEARLY a massive difference
It's because of the students. Richer families are more likely to afford coaching/tutoring.

It's like Ruse. Apparently the teachers at there aren't that great but it is the students which make the school perform, as everyone there does tutoring.

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
It's because of the students. Richer families are more likely to afford coaching/tutoring.

It's like Ruse. Apparently the teachers at there aren't that great but it is the students which make the school perform, as everyone there does tutoring.

tutoring has little to do with it, youd be suprised at how few do it... only around a third id say

its because people in the best private schools come from families that have done well for them selves through education and hence value and education and PUSH their kids very very hard (in general)

and the money factor does come into it... it someone doesnt want to try, the parents just wont fork out the money

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)