Rules for Fat People (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Fat people should be depressed. They fail at life.

They are a drain on society, and a burden on my eyes.

Thier fatness is an advertisement of poor will-power and lack of responsibility.

The irony of reading these comments on an internet forum :rofl:

and seriously, weight control has nothing to do with will power and everything to do with lifestyle.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:

and seriously, weight control has nothing to do with will power and everything to do with lifestyle.
Yeah I think a lot of people say "WAHH I tried everything!" and what they mean is "I changed my eating habits for a few weeks and lost some weight, but as soon as I started eating 'normally' again, it all came back!" NOSHITSHERLOCK!

People don't realise that you actually have to STOP with the overeating of the bad foods and START with the eating of the good foods. Forever. Proper weightloss is a lifestyle change rather than a starvationfest.

Pace_T

HSC
fat people are the reason why i dont take public transport. they take up like 3/4 of the fucking seat, man.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Pace_T said:
fat people are the reason why i dont take public transport. they take up like 3/4 of the fucking seat, man.
I HATE that!

I'm tiny so I take up maybe 1/3 of a 2 seater, so fat people always take advantage of that and sit next to me, and their fat legs squish against my gorgeous ones and I press myself against the window in an attempt to create a gap but it doesn't work because their fat is like THE BLOB and it just keeps on coming.

Fuck.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:

It's actually mainly to do with genetics.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
I HATE that!

I'm tiny so I take up maybe 1/3 of a 2 seater, so fat people always take advantage of that and sit next to me, and their fat legs squish against my gorgeous ones and I press myself against the window in an attempt to create a gap but it doesn't work because their fat is like THE BLOB and it just keeps on coming.

Fuck.
Yeah I know!! The problem is that they're the ones that squish against everyone, and yet they get annoyed at others so quickly, as if they're the ones getting squished :vcross:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
what exactly do you want someone who is fat to do on public transport? I'm fat as hell so I'll take on board whatever suggestions you have.

K

katie_tully

Enteebee said:
what exactly do you want someone who is fat to do on public transport? I'm fat as hell so I'll take on board whatever suggestions you have.
I think he means walk Chadd.

But my observations lead me to believe that you're not morbidly obese.

NinjaSauce

HSC
_dhj_ said:
No.

Unless of course, all these fat genes suddenly turned on in the last 50 years, which i highly doubt. If your family has a very old photo album, i believe you will find no where the same level of fatness (as a percentage of population) as today.

It is not as if we have devolved (then again, turning on day-time TV makes me question that *snare* *Hi-hat*).

And as an extreme point; there were no fat people in concentration camps. If genes were the residing factor, someone would still be fat. I'll be first to note it is forced starvation, but it clearly showed that intake was the major factor.

You eat less (or comparatively move more), and you lose weight.

People who blame genes are looking for an excuse so it doesn't come down to their own will power.

K

katie_tully

_dhj_ said:
No it isn't. 50% of the adult population of Australia are not obese/overweight because they got shitty genetics.

No fucking dice.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Those of you who aren't fat, do you eat as healthily as you could? Is your body as toned and muscular as you'd like it to be? If not, then you understand basically what it's like to be overweight.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Enteebee said:
Those of you who aren't fat, do you eat as healthily as you could? Is your body as toned and muscular as you'd like it to be? If not, then you understand basically what it's like to be overweight.
No we don't eat as healthily as we could.

And by genetic I mean some people will never be fat even if they didn't care about what they eat. Health is an area with a heavy genetic influence. Even though lifestyle choices like smoking will make a person more likely to suffer from lung cancer, most diseases are hereditary.

The same I think goes for a person's height, build and weight. Of course you can change what you're born with through lifestyle choices but the path of least resistance differs a lot from person to person.

ninjasauce said:
Unless of course, all these fat genes suddenly turned on in the last 50 years, which i highly doubt. If your family has a very old photo album, i believe you will find no where the same level of fatness (as a percentage of population) as today.
I don't think there are THAT many fat people today. As I mentioned a good percentage of people will never be fat (besides the period of pregnancy) because of their genetic dispositions including height, metabolism and appetite. I think it's unfair to say "I am not overweight so it mustn't be difficult to manage one's weight".

K

katie_tully

_dhj_ said:
No we don't eat as healthily as we could.

And by genetic I mean some people will never be fat even if they didn't care about what they eat. Health is an area with a heavy genetic influence. Even though lifestyle choices like smoking will make a person more likely to suffer from lung cancer, most diseases are hereditary.

The same I think goes for a person's height, build and weight. Of course you can change what you're born with through lifestyle choices but the path of least resistance differs a lot from person to person.

I don't think there are THAT many fat people today. As I mentioned a good percentage of people will never be fat (besides the period of pregnancy) because of their genetic dispositions including height, metabolism and appetite. I think it's unfair to say "I am not overweight so it mustn't be difficult to manage one's weight".
I honestly think that genetic factors are taking a backseat in the war against bad health.
We are a fat nation because we lead sedentary lifestyles. We've grown accustomed to not having to do anything for ourselves anymore.
There are genetic predispositions to things like being overweight, or putting weight on more easily than others. This is another reason why people need to be diligent about their lifestyle choices.

The data is readily available. More than half of Australian adults are overweight or obese. I think the obese category is in the range of 14%. That is a lot of obese people.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
I honestly think that genetic factors are taking a backseat in the war against bad health.
We are a fat nation because we lead sedentary lifestyles. We've grown accustomed to not having to do anything for ourselves anymore.
There are genetic predispositions to things like being overweight, or putting weight on more easily than others. This is another reason why people need to be diligent about their lifestyle choices.

The data is readily available. More than half of Australian adults are overweight or obese. I think the obese category is in the range of 14%. That is a lot of obese people.
I agree that it is a major problem. But at the same time advances in health and dietary sciences have been so significant that average life expectancy has increased dramatically over the past century. So whilst overweight people are more likely to suffer health problems, the increase in obesity rates is also partly due to the increase in our overall quality of life.

K

katie_tully

_dhj_ said:
I agree that it is a major problem. But at the same time advances in health and dietary sciences have been so significant that average life expectancy has increased dramatically over the past century. So whilst overweight people are more likely to suffer health problems, the increase in obesity rates is also partly due to the increase in our overall quality of life.
I don't understand your link between > quality of life and > obesity.

There isn't a link. This generation is looking at being the first generation to die before their parents.

Advances in health haven't contributed to much by way of the obesity epidemic. Yes we know more about dietary sciences, but you can lead a horse to water - you can't make it drink. We can lead people to dietitians, we can't make them make changes in their diet.

Our morbidity rates for diseases like cancer are increasing, but this is due to advances in screening processes. The mortality rate for most cancers has either become stagnant or has decreased, despite the increased prevalence. These same advances don't necessarily translate into advances in the way we treat weight related diseases.

There is still very little that can be done by way of diabetes and CVD.

If you don't help yourself you cannot expect that science is going to do the work for you. And I think this is where we fail as a community. Too much emphasis is placed on 'oh well if x happens to be, there is y treatment'. It isnt that simplistic.

K

katie_tully

Also these advances in health cannot always be used to help those who are excessively overweight. Many doctors I have spoken to refuse point blank to do elective surgery on people who are overweight, because it's too hard to incubate a fat person.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I weigh 110kg, in year 11 I weighed 80, end of the 1st year of uni I weighed 150. In my experience it is remarkably easy to gain weight based on relatively small lifestyle changes but then a hard, daunting slog to get it off.

For someone to lose 50kg it will take probably an entire year or more, with a good diet and consistent excercise. So while you might be thinking that girl next to you on the train is just another lazy fatass, she might have been excercising for an hour a day and eating right for the past 6 months while being psychologically tortured by every asshole she comes across, so give her a fucking break about squashing you a little on the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)