• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Schapelle Corby: Innocent or Guilty- Your final verdict (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
So you set a lower standard of morality for yourself than everyone else? I'll admitt I do.
It's more an acknowledgment that while I may not be as moral as I should be, we would probably be better off on the whole if both myself and others lifted ourselves to such a level of morality - Of course doing so requires less selfishness than we may naturally have.

But more to the point, I regard her lying and cheating as self defence. If we're talking morals, I don't think the Indonesian governments conduct is moral and so I think she has a right to do things that would otherwise be imoral to try to save herself.

Not that I'm a big fan of moral rules. But from my usual utilitarian standpoint, if she decieves some people who voluntarily part with their money, that is a small amount of dis-utility compared with her plight in prison.
I was tempted to elucidate a little further on morals etc but I think the best response to this point is just that chances are she would have received adequate funding/support to receive her best chance of success either way, what she did by lying was receive excess cash.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Common you can never have too much cash when it comes to the corrupt Indonesian legal system. Each additional dollar made her slightly less likely to be convicted and allowed her to reduce the pain of imprisonment.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just ranting about this becuase I feel very strongly about ending drug prohibition at the moment. Given that she knew the laws and most likely choose to broke them to make a quick profit, maybe she doesn't deserve much sympathy.
I think the utility of extra money once you already have the sort of legal team she was provided by the government etc is fairly low. At least low enough that whatever lenience is reasonable for someone who knowingly takes a risk for their own profit is used up.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
So should we allow conmen to peddle snakeoil?

Not much for the people who donate, but not much for corby either... I'd say the important thing is just that everyone's properly informed, there's great utility in having a society where people can make intelligent informed decisions, a society where people deceive people where it's expedient is not exactly accomodating to this.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Without an overly explicit knowledge of the facts Im unable to make a specific judgement upon her innocence. My question then becomes (to someone familiar with the facts) do you believe an Australian Court would of found her guilty? Obviously in Australia the onus lies on the prosecution to prove guilt 'beyond any reasonable doubt', does this onus also uphold within the Indonesian Court system?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Without an overly explicit knowledge of the facts Im unable to make a specific judgement upon her innocence. My question then becomes (to someone familiar with the facts) do you believe an Australian Court would of found her guilty? Obviously in Australia the onus lies on the prosecution to prove guilt 'beyond any reasonable doubt', does this onus also uphold within the Indonesian Court system?
No I'm fairly sure there's a presumption of guilt in Australia if you're found with substances on you. I don't feel like reading over the customs act to get the exact section though...

Would an aussie court have found her guilty? Most likely and the evidence against her probably would have been better...

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Not that I'm a big fan of moral rules. But from my usual utilitarian standpoint, if she decieves some people who voluntarily part with their money, that is a small amount of dis-utility compared with her plight in prison.
lol it was at this moment i knew- you study economics :)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Highly out of context and the facts vary considerably (murder trial) but i just thought id quote of my favourite scenes from 'The Practice'- maybe if Corby's defense lawyers had used a variation of this as their closing arguement she might of walked free-

"Now the District Attorney says, she is ashamed to be a part of the criminal justice system. Right now there're over 100 people sitting on death row for crimes they didn't commit. And if Eddy Wix were convicted in California, the state that fired Dr. Forster for being too sloppy, he would also be on death row.

And how many times we've seen after the trial, after the man sitting on death row is cleared, after the guy sitting 30 years in prison is cleared on newly discovered DNA evidence or after the wrong man is executed. How many times we've seen, the DA say I'm ashamed to be a part of the process, they just say mistakes happen.

Well, that's right, mistakes happen, and even when it seems so obvious, mistakes happen, and nobody, not her, not him, not you, nobody can be sure that a big mistake isn't happening right here, right now.

It could have gone down exactly the way my client said it did, medical examiner knows it. You heard him admit on cross examination under oath that its possible. Possible to happen just like Mr. Wix said. Possible, that the prosecution is wrong.

And I'm not ashamed to stand before you and say you can not send this woman to prison for the rest of her life, when there's a chance that the prosecution is wrong. This is why we have trials, ladies and gentlemen, this is why we bother.

And I'm not ashamed to be a part of it, I'm proud to be a defense attorney. I'm proud to be the one jumping up and down even on cases where everything seems so obvious. I'm proud to be the one making the state prove its burden beyond all reasonable doubt before taking a woman's life away for ever, and I do not think it's a joke.

Now you have two choices, you can go back there and say drug dealing scum, let's lock her up anyway, or you can admit there was doubt, admit the state put on nothing that contradicts Eddy Wix's testimony and do the job you have sworn to do when you signed on as jurors.

But if you choose to ignore that obligation, you choose to say forget reasonable doubt, forget the state's burden of proof, and convict her anyway. Well then the prosecution is right after all. The system is in fact a joke. "

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I like Christians...

But I hate born agains...They have this whole mentality that they have to share their epiphany with the world and bring all people into the faith as they similarly found it.

Catholicism for the world...none of this evangelical crap. Vive la tradition.

P.S. I don't see WYD as an Evangelical event.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Re: 回复: Schapelle Corby: Innocent or Guilty- Your final verdict

hopeles5ly said:
Why the fuck would you care or even take interest?
You win.

WannaBang?

HSC
Guilty as a mother fucking bitch. Fuck her. Aussies just took a warming to her because she was pretty and most of them wouldn't have minded getting into her pants.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
WannaBang? said:
Guilty as a mother fucking bitch. Fuck her. Aussies just took a warming to her because she was pretty and most of them wouldn't have minded getting into her pants.
tbh i think she's kinda ugly.

dumarab

HSC
I don't know, it's a real tough decision. Mainly because we don't see the REAL story, you must understand EVERYTHING the media broadcasts has in one way or another bias or propaganda like seriously we can never be sure.

It's like the war on Iraq, you think what the media is broadcasting is true? Bullshit, it's fucking fake thousands of Iraqi-Christians die all the time, but the media says "No" the minorities are protected. THe media says the troops are helping, but they don't say that if the an Iraqi citizen steps 100 meters from a tank they get shot.

Honestly, unless you know someone directly concerned or connected with the Corby case, you can never be sure about the information you are given.

conclusion: the media is a bunch of low-life degenerate pieces of Shit!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Is it the Christian Iraqis who speak Assyrian? Are there any other Arabs who speak Assyrian? The language has always confused me as to who actually speaks it...

dumarab

HSC
Iraq is not just an Arab nation, it has remains of the many civilizations that have lived there including
Chaldean
Assyrians
ect ect

Assyrians speak Assyrian
Chaldeons Speak Chaldeon

both of which are a dialect of the Holy Language Aramaic

however there can be
arab-christians
assyrian-christians
Chaldean-christians

WannaBang?

HSC
Enteebee said:
Totally gree. She's fucking disgusting, but I guess she tickles the fancies of some older men.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
I dont really think she is ugly , but my heart does go out to those people in the same/similar situation without her superficial media appeal....

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
When the trial was first happening I was inclined to think she was innocent but I got over that pretty quickly (I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since she was making such a huge "omg I'm not a drug smuggler" deal over it). She's guilty. I think the sentence she got was disproportionately harsh in comparison to the crime, but I think her stupidity in trying to traffick drugs into a country with such strict regulations, that she knew about, justifies some of the sentence. I mean really, what a retard.

I don't really buy her "but I didn't know it was in there" argument either...I don't know how she packs her luggage but I tend to check everything before I put it in (not for drugs, just making sure it's all together and I'm not forgetting anything)...so a few kgs of marijuana is hardly going to go unnoticed...?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
When the trial was first happening I was inclined to think she was innocent but I got over that pretty quickly (I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since she was making such a huge "omg I'm not a drug smuggler" deal over it). She's guilty. I think the sentence she got was disproportionately harsh in comparison to the crime, but I think her stupidity in trying to traffick drugs into a country with such strict regulations, that she knew about, justifies some of the sentence. I mean really, what a retard.

I don't really buy her "but I didn't know it was in there" argument either...I don't know how she packs her luggage but I tend to check everything before I put it in (not for drugs, just making sure it's all together and I'm not forgetting anything)...so a few kgs of marijuana is hardly going to go unnoticed...?
Tend to agree with all said here^

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Lol schappele is apparently paranoid and hallucinating, she must be whacked.:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)