School Certificate: Does it matter? (1 Viewer)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
The School Certificate recently came to my attention, with the Examinations commencing very soon, every single cohort of mine has asked it: Will my SC results affect my ATAR?

I was dazzled as i tried to answer this question, i was as clueless as they were.

From what i was told, SC should only be taken seriously to those who are to leave school for an apprenticeship as year 10 concludes,

BUT i was concerned to as if the SC will affect the class distribution for selected subjects. Which got me thinking to another question, will my HSC results be scaled depending on which classes i am to be in?

Please share your thoughts and opinions :)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Nope, the school certificate does not affect your ATAR whatsoever.

It is simply a very dodgy attempt at giving year 10 students an indication of where they stand in the state.

Your ATAR is solely based on your performance in year 12.

Lots of kids who have gotten bands 4s etc in the SC got UAI/ATARs of 90+ so don't worry :)

The subjects you pick will play a large role on what ATAR you get - just look around and you'll find a gazillion threads.

TheStallion

HSC
Some jobs such as when I applied for ADFA ask for your SC results if you apply while still studying for the HSC, so in that sense, it's extremely important.

But as said above, no, doesn't make any difference to your ATAR.

clue444

HSC
If you're planning to do the HSC and go into University, you're SC certificate is just a piece of working out paper.

If you wanna leave school in year 10 and want to find work/apprenticeship, then the SC is not a piece of working out paper.

Also, the SC does NOT affect your ATAR. SC is just for low educated kids who hate and want to leave school.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It still doesn't affected you if you drop out. I don't think a firm is going to reject you from a plumbing apprenticeship if you get a Band 3 in History.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
SC means absolutely NOTHING unless your school enforces cut offs on marks to do certain subjects.
it is a piss easy walk in the park. enjoy it while it lasts!

rokkuguhyo

HSC
In answer to your last question, yes, HSC results are scaled, but don't think about that when choosing subjects. Just focus on yourself and on your own performance in whatever subjects you choose to do. If you're one of those people who completely obsesses over subject scaling, ATAR, and class rankings, you'll only give yourself a whole lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety.

de__locke

HSC
The SC means so little the government is seriously considering abolishing it.

HSC
No.believe me, when you're in year eleven, focus on your preliminaries and HSC.

SC is seriously a piece of joke. Don't worry yourself too much about it, if at all for that matter.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I guess if it's for classes, then you should aim to do the best you can so you'll be in a better class, but even that shouldn't matter. Classes don't affect the scaling or anything. If you came first or any rank for that matter in class D for example, it would be the same as coming that same rank in class A.

sombrero

HSC
School certificate results don't matter

Its similar to the SNAP and ELLA tests. Has anyone ever asked you for your results? (employment wise, etc) I thought not

As long as you get that paper

0hNivlek

HSC
At my school you need certains Bands to get into certain subjects. Like a band 5/6 to do Chem, 3U maths etc... But it's debatable since many people just appealed and got in anyway lol...

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Not only is the School Certificate a waste of time an trees...

The exams themselves are basically comprehension and common sense, with probably no study or very little required (except for History and Geography maybe).

I got all band 6's including a 98 for Maths in the SC and I didn't study once in the entirety of Year 10. I'm not particularly brilliant... I just used common sense to answer the questions.

Don't stress about it... even if you go into a trade, they're probably not going to give a flying fuck if they're already taking students out of year 10.

Enjoy the rest of the year. If you're relaxed you're probably more likely to do well.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
At my school you need certains Bands to get into certain subjects. Like a band 5/6 to do Chem, 3U maths etc... But it's debatable since many people just appealed and got in anyway lol...
So your school doesn't do its subject selections until mid-December.

That seems rather strange as most schools will already have done them now with the SC exams still over a month away and the results over 2 months away.

Over the years we have been very surprised at some of the results e.g. students getting Band 6s whom we expected to get maybe a low Band 5 and others we expected to get Band 6 only getting Band 4 e.g. last year no one got a Band 6 in Geography and we usually get at least double the number of Band 6s in Geography to History but we got I think 2 Band 6s in History.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
The School Certificate is important, if the school you're requesting to transfer to next year, asks for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)