School Certificate Maths Paper (1 Viewer)

Icee_tee

HSC
I NEED HELP HERE!
Basically, i find it hard to complete the maths paper on time. There are too many questions. I either rush through it and get heaps of wrong or i work slowly and fail to finish the test.
Can anyone give me some tips on doing the maths SC paper?

HSC
I NEED HELP HERE!
Basically, i find it hard to complete the maths paper on time. There are too many questions. I either rush through it and get heaps of wrong or i work slowly and fail to finish the test.
IMMEDIATELY SKIP the questions you are unsure about/ are having difficulties completing. This will prevent time "wastage" on marks which you might not even get? In consequence, complete ALL the questions you can do/ have a thorough idea about how to complete (so you try and maximise the marks which you can attain). After you have completed all the questions you can do, make sure you come back to the ones you have skipped, and once again repeat the process. If you reach a stage where you have absolutely no clue about what the question is asking, skip it, and re - read your test paper.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
if you're doing 3 unit maths next year, the SC should be a breeze for you.

work quickly and skip all hard questions. you can still get a Band 6 if you skip 10 questions.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
IMMEDIATELY SKIP the questions you are unsure about/ are having difficulties completing. This will prevent time "wastage" on marks which you might not even get? In consequence, complete ALL the questions you can do/ have a thorough idea about how to complete (so you try and maximise the marks which you can attain). After you have completed all the questions you can do, make sure you come back to the ones you have skipped, and once again repeat the process. If you reach a stage where you have absolutely no clue about what the question is asking, skip it, and re - read your test paper.
Prior to this, allocate a set amount of time for each question. For example,"In Section A I will spend about 1 minute per question, no more". Then, if you find yourself lost on a particular question, follow Prashant's instructions.

FTW

HSC
Work through it fast. It's approx 1 mark per minute, if you find a question hard skip it and finish the rest of the paper first.;)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
its not that hard. if you're stuck just skip it, its better to get the hard questions wrong but get the easy ones right than missing out doing the easy ones.

Schoey93

HSC
I NEED HELP HERE!
I hear you brother! I'm good at math too, but like you I am SLOW at math! I just did the 2008 School Certificate Maths Paper (non calculator section) and got 18/25 ...not bad, considering it's a RAW mark, but it could have been a lot better (I didn't finish three whole questions).

I recommend these strategies (it's how I troubleshoot my own difficulties):

• In the non-calculator section, do NOT, if possible, show working out. Marks are awarded for ANSWERS only, 1 mark per answer.
  • Do the geometrical constructions (e.g.: Draw a triangle x cm high and x cm wide, hypotenuse = 5 cm) FIRST...they are a pain in the backside and take up precious time.
  • Do NOT OVER THINK it for the objective responses (multiple choice)! What you think is the right answer, if you're decent at math, probably is right.
  • For the final section (Section 2 Part B), try to leave plenty of time. From memory, this is the hardest section, as it's free response and REQUIRES a calculator (do not listen to the "calculator may be used" crap: it SHOULD be used. Take your time, don't rush things (for Section 2 Pt B) and you'll be fine.
  • At the end of the day, just do your best.

Edit: Oh and PLEASE remember to use the formulae sheet! (I always forget personally...) :)

Last edited:

jonowang

HSC
just work through all the questions as quickly as possible. do some papers for practice so that you can get faster in answering the questions. and if you dont know any just guess

Schoey93

HSC
What a load of crap, Official. I know from experience that practise, practise, practise does NOT always make perfect. Enough with the quick-fix responses!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
its not that hard. if you're stuck just skip it, its better to get the hard questions wrong but get the easy ones right than missing out doing the easy ones.
This and just come back to the questions you've skipped if you have time :)

Xcelz

HSC
What a load of crap, Official. I know from experience that practise, practise, practise does NOT always make perfect. Enough with the quick-fix responses!
ah that's probably some of the best advice you can get. if you practise the questions you develop the mind set and techniques to answer future questions more quickly and easily.

silence--

HSC
actually, practise is the best way to study and improve for anything, especially with maths where doing a question once makes it easier to do a similar type question again. Especially in the case of "too many questions too little time" which is what the problem seems to be here.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Dude what alternative technique could one propose? Its practise and nothing else. Noone is born with it completely, they may be a prodigy, but they still have to work their way up.
The perfection axis is an asymptote to this the function of life, though as practice reaches infinity the output is close to perfection, nonetheless.
:lol:
man i have no life.

Icee_tee

HSC
Dude what alternative technique could one propose? Its practise and nothing else. Noone is born with it completely, they may be a prodigy, but they still have to work their way up.
The perfection axis is an asymptote to this the function of life, though as practice reaches infinity the output is close to perfection, nonetheless.
:lol:
man i have no life.

Wow, i really like your insightful words at the end!
Thanks man! :drink::drink::drink:

angels2

HSC
the very same thing happened to me for the sc trials. I was not able to finish the whole mc exam (i skipped heap load of ques.) but I still recevied a decent mark of 17/20
I could use loads of this advice bt like previously said my mistakes were spending way too much time on a question and also because i couldn't see the time. there was no clock in the room and teachers kept swapping and wouldn't tell us so taking a watch is a good idea.
plus i realised i used calculators for questions in the calc questions that didn't necessarily needed to be calculated using one. so if it is simple just go for it. that's just a few. but thanks for these posts they really help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)