N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
"Give me the child for seven years,
and I will give you the man." - Ignatius Loyola
Don't agree with the Ignatius dude.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah but Parkes wrote during pretty sectarian times when both Churches were powerful moulders of identity.
I think there's some argument for Chaplains today, given that kids might never otherwise learn about religion from level-headed religious people with shiney theology degrees. But yeah, the whole thing makes me cringe a bit. The onus should ideally be on the Church, not the State, to make religion relevant. Build it and they will come.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Okay but I'd google him before you condemn him.
ok i will later. I learned at church that he was the founder of the jesuits... the pastor used the above quote of his in a sermon....

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
im wondering even if a chaplain is implemented into a government school at what time would the chaplain be used where the amount of $ spend on one gives a certain amount of return.

its just not economically feasible to even suggest such bullshit.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Julie Bishop said:
The chaplaincy placement is a voluntary program. It's up to the school community to determine if they want the chaplaincy services and also, if they do, what sort of services do they want.

Some states have no chaplaincy services at all and in other states it's proven to be a very successful way of providing and supporting students' spiritual wellbeing and their pastoral care.

Julie Bishop said:
Some states have no chaplaincy services at all and in other states it's proven to be a very successful way of providing and supporting students' spiritual wellbeing and their pastoral care.

Julie Bishop said:
Parents are looking for values in their children's schooling. Schools already have extensive counselling arrangements. We're providing more choice so that if parents in a school community want to establish a chaplaincy service or enhance an existing chaplaincy service then we're providing them that opportunity.

Julie Bishop said:
This is part of an overall approach that the Australian Government is taking to ensure that we have nationally consistent high standards in our schools. Now currently chaplaincy services are available to some schools, not all, and I believe it's the role of the Australian Government to ensure that we provide opportunities and choices to all schools across Australia.
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1776399.htm

If the school community wants a chaplain, and if they have enough resources to support one, give them a chaplain and get over it.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
people are so dumb and thick, im so shocked. the amount of ignorant religious tards on this thread that are pushing for lunacy is mind boggling.

please, fuck off. and die.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
It's because the extreme religious right just believe anything that's told to them whether it is true or not. I have no problems with religion but there is a growing amount of people as suggested by this poll (41% should be a fucking concern for any rational person) that are becoming dangerous in which they want their religion to be thrust upon the education system and the government..... which ironically are the same type of aim terrorist like al-qaeda want.

PLEASE. im sick of you idiots. just go away. fucking drown in a lake or some shit and pray while your dying and then follow the bright RED light......dont get exited, your going to hell.

just go away.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Like it or not, Christians make better citizens. Meek? Humble? Obedient? Cheek turners? Charitable? The state does have some interest in preventing the growth of monster youths alienated from the concept of a good greater than themselves

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
ok i will later. I learned at church that he was the founder of the jesuits... the pastor used the above quote of his in a sermon....
Wait... What's so bad about the Jesuits...?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol, sure, but regardless of what we like to think about our education (even at uni), there's a healthy dose of government-friendly indoctrination injected into the proceedings

They get at least a decade to tame our primal warrior within. Previously the Church was instrumental in this taming process. Now, I dont think that year 10 Civics and Citizenship is enough to fill the void
STORMCLOUDS ARE LOOMING

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Are Chaplains more important than textbooks?
I think the greatest need of anybody is to come in to a relationship with christ.
I think however that if a school can not afford textbooks, then that should be catered for.

Remembering I have not said we must have a chaplian, i am saying that i think that it would be a good idea.

Incavi

HSC
anything to do with christianity is cursed, i sayeth no chaplains anywhere!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
The yoof left to their own devices will fill the spirtual and intellectual void with the viewing of television and the pops music? Creating a classed society of the lettered elite versus the knuckle-dragging, cola-swilling proles?
Yes yes yes, very well!
I just dont want to see us fall backwards. Allowing the corporations to fill the void will only lead to a manchurian candidate in the White House. This unholy marriage of State and Business will be the downfall of the republic.

By pandering to satisfy our every base instinct, the corporate world is dehumanising us. The lowest common denominator is what ensues - a nation of "belly men" - with Simpsonesque gut urges and one dimension: simple consumers, like cows in a feild.

They can keep us tame and malleable and open to all other exploitation: so can the Church. The difference is that the Church was a much more class act. It praises our humanity and fires up our idealism. In the long run therefore, it's much better that children are moulded by Chaplains, then by barbaric, vulgar, paedophilic advertising being pushed by the market.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Wait... What's so bad about the Jesuits...?
What??????
Who said anything bad about the Jesuits? Did you actually read what i wrote ? :)
I have immense respect for them in general. I disagreed with something that one of them said, that is all.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Please answer the questions. If a school has n dollars which would pay for a chaplain or textbooks they need for a class, should that money go to the chaplain or the textbooks.

Money is a fixed quantity, the amount that you have can be traded for goods and services, much like a bartering system but with a more easily transferred store of value. Unfortunately, as money is fixed, you are unable to spend it twice! Say I wished to trade a sheep for a stack of bibles off you, after having made this trade I cannot then trade the sheep for a stack of playboy magazines, as the sheep is yours!

So you see, in this way they cannot take the money and pay the chaplain and then take the same money and buy the textbooks! That money has become the chaplain's money and they are unable to do so.

I hope this clears up any problems you're having with the concept.
umm i answered that i said textbooks

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
What??????
Who said anything bad about the Jesuits? Did you actually read what i wrote ? :)
I have immense respect for them in general. I disagreed with something that one of them said, that is all.
Yeah, I misread it...

But what was so bad about what Ignatius Loyola said? I thought it was a good quote..

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
squeenie said:
Yeah, I misread it...

But what was so bad about what Ignatius Loyola said? I thought it was a good quote..
I just lightly disagreed with it. That is all :)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Iron said:
Yes yes yes, very well!
I just dont want to see us fall backwards. Allowing the corporations to fill the void will only lead to a manchurian candidate in the White House. This unholy marriage of State and Business will be the downfall of the republic.

By pandering to satisfy our every base instinct, the corporate world is dehumanising us. The lowest common denominator is what ensues - a nation of "belly men" - with Simpsonesque gut urges and one dimension: simple consumers, like cows in a feild.

They can keep us tame and malleable and open to all other exploitation: so can the Church. The difference is that the Church was a much more class act. It praises our humanity and fires up our idealism. In the long run therefore, it's much better that children are moulded by Chaplains, then by barbaric, vulgar, paedophilic advertising being pushed by the market.
Yeah. You have a really good point there. I'd rather have my kids listen to a chaplain than listen to some corporate crap. But I think if corporations would just behave themselves (which unfortunately, they don't), they wouldn't have to be seen as a threat.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Exphate said:
Same could be said of Priests?
Oh right, I forgot about that...

So if corporations are going to hypnotise our kids, and priests are going to rape them, where does that leave us? Seems like you can't trust anyone these days...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)