School Prohibiting Subject (1 Viewer)

maryjane05

HSC
My brother is in year 10 and is starting his subject selection process now, the school has not "recommended" him for physics so he is unable to do the subject. The school gives a recommendation for some subjects to dictate what subjects students can do. He is doing pretty well in year 10 advanced math and he really wants to do physics. Is the school allowed to do this?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
My brother is in year 10 and is starting his subject selection process now, the school has not "recommended" him for physics so he is unable to do the subject. The school gives a recommendation for some subjects to dictate what subjects students can do. He is doing pretty well in year 10 advanced math and he really wants to do physics. Is the school allowed to do this?
schools are allowed to block you from doing certain subjects based on what they perceive to be your potential ability/inability to perform well in the subject. my sibling's school also does that for maths + english (the school recommended maths adv only and english ext 1 for them). if my sibling wanted to do a higher level subject then they'd have to bring it up with the head teacher

hehe43

HSC
No, if the school has enough space for more students in their physics class they can't do that. However if it's a private or selective school they can probably get away with it.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
The school is essentially allowed to do this, your brother/your parents can choose to try and challenge this decision if he really wants to enroll (and the challenge may be successful) but it's not a particularly strategic decision to make. He can always take something not dissimilar: DesignTech/Engineering/Construction/Electrotech/EX1Math/Senior Science and he will be able to do some bits and pieces of physics (to varying extents) in any of these subjects.

If for some reason the math/science teachers think he is not going to succeed in physics (which is a notoriously difficult subject - ill-suited to students who are not highly dedicated to study) then it is very likely they just won't allow him to enroll.

random93810938

HSC
I don't think the school can do this. We had an interview between myself, my parents and the head of learning regarding year 11 subject selections, she said one of my teachers recommended a lower level of the subject than I wanted and all we had to do was say that we still wanted to do it.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
doesnt "recommend" mean you're "recommended" to not do the subject but u still can??

band6yesplease

HSC
doesnt "recommend" mean you're "recommended" to not do the subject but u still can??
yeah that's what they do at my school but if you pick the subject they can't do anything
eg. my teachers recommended maths ex1 and no higher than english advanced and I ended up dropping maths all together and coming first in all 4units of English with high B6/E4 averages. At the end of the day, it should be the choice of the student because they know their capabilities and limits more than anyone else...

that being said they're recommending it for a reason so maybe he could ask them to elaborate on their reasons and he could try and work on it?

maryjane05

HSC
For added context, I am in a private school that has more than enough resources to have a larger class and accomodate my brother.

maryjane05

HSC
I'd like to reiterate anyone saying that the school is a allowed to do this is wrong. If the school is a public school and they still don't allow you to select the subject them take it up with NESA
Unfortunately this is not a public school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)