Screw HSC markers (1 Viewer)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I've tried asking him/her. She mumbles, and said something about them saying it's wrong. I asked him/her how it is wrong, h/she couldn't answer, and I gave up.

I think I know who the teacher who marked this part of the paper be...Probably the same teacher who marked my brother down for the double bond thing =\

There's also another English teacher at our school who likes to mark down essays. He/she is famous for marking down essays that are not -top-, and awarding the -top- essays so much more than others.

lionking1191

HSC
if you don't get anything out of the teacher who marked it, talk to the head teacher about it. if still nothing, chances are the fault is not with them

in the hsc the paper is marked and remarked and the avg of marks are taken

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I was going to ask the head teacher about it...But my tutor told me a story of his past student, saying that his marks might've been altered when he challenged the teachers, and he told me to just forget it, and not risk it, since I'm coming first anyway...

But damn, I really wanted to know where I went wrong >=O

ashlee-xx

HSC
man i hate my english teacher
she says to use simple words as opposed to good vocab, and that will get good marks

giant poo head

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Well she's right TO AN EXTENT.

Using gigantic words won't get you anywhere if you don't use them properly. The top in our school had an essay which didn't have many gigantic words, but simple and clear, concise words. It's how integrated your answer is, I guess.

HSC
ashlee-xx said:
man i hate my english teacher
she says to use simple words as opposed to good vocab, and that will get good marks
Complex words =/= good vocab. What's the problem?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
to be absoulutely blunt; you sound like a dick if you use words that are, despite being large and impressive, are totally irrelevant to your point or arent even applicable with in the sentence.

r0b

HSC
In ext. 1, we're urged to use the simple vocab, the goal is a clear, arid style of writing.

The continual use of complex words sounds/looks pedantic.
But it isn't easy to structure simple words for impact.

danz90

HSC
All I know is that any science subject has each question marked 3 times, Maths is marked once... not sure about other subjects.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Imagine a marker with 200 papers or so to be marked.

By the time they're finished with the 3rd or so, they'd already be extremely bored.

Now, we all know that papers only get seen once. Often in extended responses in subjects such as science, there may be a few questions that they just glimpse over, and end up missing a few points. That will take away your precious marks.

Whose fault is it? No-one?

WRONG!

It's entirely the fault of the HSC markers. Yes, I understand that they had been really stressed and tired. But wait, think about other professions, such as a doctor for example. They sit in their office all day, they hear the same complaints from their patients, but do they recklessly diagnose you with leukaemia or AIDS? Of course not! It's because it's their responsiblity as a doctor.

Markers, it's your career! Your job! Your responsiblity! Who the hell cares if you've been sitting there all night? It's your job, and you're paid to do it.

As for the pay...Hm? Pay is low? Well guess what I'm gonna say.
YOU KNEW DAMN WELL HOW WELL THE PAY IS BEFORE YOU BECAME A TEACHER.
What would the world become if all the hygiene-keeping workers of the world decided they wanted to have a strike?

Now instead of having industrial actions and wasting the precious time of HSC students, or screwing up students' exams because they felt sleepy, how about you GET A GRASP OF REALITY, and ACCEPT that you CHOSE your path as a teacher, and do your jobs PROPERLY?
A most commendable post.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
OK, to be honest OP, The post was way to long & I didn't read much of it..

But 2-3 people mark each paper, so its got to be pretty fair.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Are you unhappy with teacher marks for English, or what?? English is harder to explain because what seems clear to you might not be articulated properly to a marker. When your teacher says poor explanation maybe you didnt make it clear enough.

Scan the paper and PM it to me and I'll try and explain it better? I'm no English teacher - just a 4Uniter at Gosford Selective - but I can try and give you some feedback if you want, its what I end up doing with my classmates at school.

r0b said:
In ext. 1, we're urged to use the simple vocab, the goal is a clear, arid style of writing.

The continual use of complex words sounds/looks pedantic.
But it isn't easy to structure simple words for impact.
Same here :). The key is clarity and simplicity, not to overwhelm markers with a large vocabulary.

Sprinkle of well-educated words here and there, but keep it straightforward what you're trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael1990

HSC
cem said:
Not all subjects and questions go to a second table.

e.g. in Modern History some topics have so few candidates that both markers will be at the same table. All the Asian personalities are marked at one table but they are still given the same consideration. It would be a logistics nightmare to have to have two SMs briefing on each Asian Personality along with the other personalities when there are only 20 essays.

In bigger topics they can go to different tables but not always - certainly in Modern.
A Head Teacher at my school. Which is also a Head Marker had told us that all papers are marked by 2 teachers.

HSC
I agree 100% with the topic starter, for design its a fucking ONE YEAR PROJECT!! and the fgts mark it in 20 mins by skim reading areas and if they choose to read an evaluation and unfortunatly its a shittest one out of all the good ones then thats tough luck.

HSC
Studentleader said:
Don't know about NSW but in WA if your unhappy with your mark for an exam (question marked wrong) you send $50 and your exam back, they remark it and if you were wrong they get your $50, if they change it (up or down) you get it back
I'm pretty sure that this only applies in externals, in which case you don't get the exam back, but have to apply based on the marks you THINK you should have gotten compared with what you actually got. (Raw marks this is)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
A Head Teacher at my school. Which is also a Head Marker had told us that all papers are marked by 2 teachers.
Two markers yes - two tables no.

By a table I am referring to a group of markers headed by a Senior Marker not an individual table where one marker sits (actually we have two desks per marker).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)