SDD Major Project Ideas (1 Viewer)

J0n

N/A
HSC
Well, what would your database program actually do? A few ideas from the BOS' support documentation are:
  • An appointment system
  • Hotel bookings
  • Video store management sytem
  • Subject choice/report system
  • Payroll system
  • Library system
Or if you wanted to make a simple one with basic functions as you mentioned, you could add all the searching and sorting algorithms that we have to learn:
  • Binary search
  • Linear search
  • Bubble sort
  • Insertion sort
  • Selection sort
As well as the simple algorithms such as:
  • Swap two items
  • Find minimim/maximum values
  • Find average

Winston

HSC
Sometimes it's good to think control wise, for example if you want to incorporate a sorting algorithm you can most probably arrange or display the data in a List View, which enables you to write code to sort the columns through Ascending and Descending.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Microsoft Access is a DBMS.

What I meant when I said, create a DBMS, is to create a program which generates, and manages databases.

I did this, and tied it into a fairly standard book review searching etc program for my major, but the main focus turned out to be the DBMS.

Eg: Using Jet databases, as VB6 has the DAO reference thingie and its really nice, build a database from scratch, add tables, records, etc.
Add database backup and copy features, transfer of tables, exporting of table contents.
Add features to add further tables to an existing db, delete tables, rename things etc.
Endless possibilities.

But don't use any built in controls, just do it all with code.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
I think DBMS stands for DataBase Management Service, but i've never used it.
actually its DataBase Management System

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Hey just like to say a thanks 2 u guys for helpin me~~
-Thankyou!:D :D
I've got a more through understanding/idea of what i wanna do, thanks heaps~~

allGenreGamer

My Idea

Please tell me if this idea (for the major project) is valid:

An organizaion is developing a new operating system. I've been requested to design and develope a mini-game which will become part of the client's new operating system (like Minesweeper for Windows).

Would this idea be accepted? Also, I wonder if its ok to just make it work for windows? Since I can't really make a new operating system!

Winston

HSC
Re: My Idea

Originally posted by allGenreGamer
Please tell me if this idea (for the major project) is valid:

An organizaion is developing a new operating system. I've been requested to design and develope a mini-game which will become part of the client's new operating system (like Minesweeper for Windows).

Would this idea be accepted? Also, I wonder if its ok to just make it work for windows? Since I can't really make a new operating system!
First of all yes you don't have to make it compatible for every platform OS, so Windows is enough. Second of all i'm not sure about your teacher but i know some teachers dislike the idea of games, as it's not original enough, but i like your "Problem" lol... it sounds funny... i guess Bill contacted you to make a new game for Windows Codename Longhorn aye? ;)

Hehe...

allGenreGamer

Glad to hear u like my idea :) my teachers says he'll accept a game so it should be ok. The thing is - wat should i write for "possibe alternatives"? Plz provide me some ideas.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by allGenreGamer
Glad to hear u like my idea :) my teachers says he'll accept a game so it should be ok. The thing is - wat should i write for "possibe alternatives"? Plz provide me some ideas.
well really, snakes, battle ships, card games, and connect 4 is far too unoriginal, lol i kind of forgot how to play monopoly, maybe u can make monopoly.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
for your software assessment as with most other assessments ur being assessed on your documentation mainly, not the actual program. Im going to make a simple website, have a user login, ability to upload files, write heaps of documentation for it.

Making something that can be viewed on an internet platform is usually pretty good, long list of advantages.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
wow i still havent been given mine yet...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Seraph
wow i still havent been given mine yet...
If you know you have no limitation as to what you want to make, then you should start on your own now... i started heaps early, we got ours in term 4 and i started making my application in term 3 of yr 11 :D... i got a 100% for it... so i was happy, it was a hard work paying off.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
If you know you have no limitation as to what you want to make, then you should start on your own now... i started heaps early, we got ours in term 4 and i started making my application in term 3 of yr 11 :D... i got a 100% for it... so i was happy, it was a hard work paying off.
yes, and don't leave the project to the last minute- as i left it to the last day basically- but then again sdd was not gonna count for me anyways (i was doing 12 units). :D :eek:

Seraph

HSC
N/A
ye but i dont know the details of the project limitations etc

well anyway i was thinking of making a maths game

You know ask a question
put answer in

is that too easy????

Or maybe i should make a Quiz Game
again too easy??

Winston

HSC

You know ask a question
put answer in

is that too easy????

again too easy??

Read back a few pages, make a simple program but make it have things that u do in SDD, the use of arrays, the use of records or wateva uno...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC

You know ask a question
put answer in

is that too easy????

again too easy??
don't worry- those should b good enuf- way more complicated than what i made. :eek:

Seraph

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Read back a few pages, make a simple program but make it have things that u do in SDD, the use of arrays, the use of records or wateva uno...
oh damn i just want to use a shitload of IF statements !!!!!

:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)