Section 1 (1 Viewer)

lgaica

HSC
*maria* said:
PLEASE GOD-IM A NICE PERSON...i only want 80% for english!
this has nothing to do with you and "god", its between you and board of studies

BridgetMeow

HSC
"What does Rothwell discover about journeys?"
(Or words to that effect)

I really don't know! That it doesn't have to be discovered in a linear fashion whaaa? I just repeated what he said he had learnt. Gah!

Mezra

HSC
Ah yeah guys don't feel bad. I did one of Rothwell's book extracts from the AUstralian for my related text, not that particular extract, but still- I had no idea what the hell it was about. Bet you're feeling pretty clever right about now. ha.

Predicted mark for section 1: 4 perhaps a 5 if they're feeling generous.

careee

HSC
man is there anyone out there that actually LIKED this section? like seriously, please come foward, coz i'd like to hear your thoughts.

oconnor

HSC
Ok my thoughts.

Section 1: Rothwell is a homo, I mean, what did he learn? Or gain for that matter, the only thing I could even think of was him picking up anecdotes wherever he travels. I didnt like text 2, who cares? Text 3 made no sense whatsoever. VERY hard IMO for the whole of section 1. I'm in the same boat as many, didnt leave enough time for the 5 marker.

Section 2: I seriously messed up this section. Im embarrased about it, so really I dont care :(

Section 3: I think I nailed it, I did 'LTB' 'The Road not taken' and 'Mary' (a song by Sarah Mclaughlin).. All I think fitted the question nicely, I mean in terms of an imaginative journey, can there be any predicted destinations anyways?

Meh, I'm not looking forward to paper 2. King Lear FTL

oconnor

HSC
Ok my thoughts.

Section 1: Rothwell is a homo, I mean, what did he learn? Or gain for that matter, the only thing I could even think of was him picking up anecdotes wherever he travels. I didnt like text 2, who cares? Text 3 made no sense whatsoever. VERY hard IMO for the whole of section 1. I'm in the same boat as many, didnt leave enough time for the 5 marker.

Section 2: I seriously messed up this section. Im embarrased about it, so really I dont care :(

Section 3: I think I nailed it, I did 'LTB' 'The Road not taken' and 'Mary' (a song by Sarah Mclaughlin).. All I think fitted the question nicely, I mean in terms of an imaginative journey, can there be any predicted destinations anyways?

Meh, I'm not looking forward to paper 2. King Lear FTL

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Walking out of the exam I was like damn I hope nobody found section 1 easy. The first person I spoke to said it was easy.. then everyone else I spoke to found it difficult. So yay haha.

goosiegoo

HSC
Argh, text 3 was so painful to read! I mean... he had sentences that we like a paragraph long! *facedesk*

truper

HSC
text one was a sucker...

i found the section more conceptually-drive rather than techniques.

truper

HSC
oconnor said:
Ok my thoughts.

According to my friend,

Travel/journey = experience = transformation.... the journey is continuous and keeps developing (the guy steals ideas from other people so he keeps discovering)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Im glad I wasnt the only one who thought that was hard.

I agree that it was more conceptually driven. I was expecting technique based questions so it threw me off completely!

Lets hope paper 2 is a bit less...crap

caitycat

HSC
For once I went throught the exam front to back... a good choice 'cos that last question needed some thinking over!

Text 3 was interesting... I think I got it once I read the thing about the glinting on the tin roof. and something about "non linear"
I think he realises that the world is a dynamic place. The 'dream' of eventually discovering and sharing the true nature of a place is unattainable as it is forever changing and revealing new things about itself.

roosterman57

HSC
nedcooper1 said:
What did everyone identify as 'the attutude conveyed towards journeys in "the horizon seemed the most persuasive home"'? I can't remember mine clearly but I know I didn't write "that journeys never end" and Im feeling this was the right answer now. Thoughts?
I wrote that the attitude conveyed is one of travelling into the unknown and new discoveries on the course of the journey. Expecting the unexpected sort of thing. On Giant Shoulders anyone? lol I have no idea if its right though.

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC
careee said:
man is there anyone out there that actually LIKED this section? like seriously, please come foward, coz i'd like to hear your thoughts.
i liked it. but then, maybe that's because i could make some semblance of sense from it all??

Martyno1 said:
WHAT THE FUCK WAS TEXT 3? I seriously think I got like <=10 for this section, it was the HARDEST section 1 I've ever seen!!
Again, I'll say WHAT THE HELL was text 3?!?!?!
text three was a little preface which described the author's changing view on how to approach Northern and Central Australia. basically, he was saying that the way of life and the land and animals all have a much different way of thinking/behaving/reacting and so when you try to encapsulate it in a sweeping statement, it doesn't work. the "non-linear" thing was him describing a way of thinking. he said that a linear way of thinking and a logical approach didn't work. he said it was better to be non-linear and to be more open-minded.

so the journey in this text was of his thought process - changing his point-of-view on how to approach the subject.

the attutude conveyed towards journeys in "the horizon seemed the most persuasive home" - i basically did language analysis - i talked about the connotations of 'home' being a tangible place to which you can return and that the horizon created a conflicted/contrasted attitude with this as it has connotations of intangibility and that it is always visible but beyond reach.
so basically i said the attitude conveyed was conflicting/contrasting.

siobhan07

HSC
Crizzy said:
does anyone know what text3 was all about?!?:confused:
Text three was the easiest i thought. it tells you that its about 'journeys and experiences in northern and central aust'
This text had the most techniques that i found,:)
Simile 'the deserts of the centre were like schoolrooms'
Metaphor 'a life path that is fragmented'
Personification 'the landscape...offering its redemptive silence'

You had to use the techniques to:
e) Explain what Rothwell comes to realise about his journey.:wave:

I found text 2 the hardest. :bomb: hardley any techniques...only picked up vivid imagery in 'a small paddock rises gently to an apple orchard'
and what the hell does the question have to do with the journeys concept...c) Analyse the writers use of contrast in this feature article?

Section one from this apaer was the hardest and most technique barron i have ever come accross.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Crizzy said:
does anyone know what text3 was all about?!?:confused:
I think it was about how journeys can expand your horizons, and something about not appreciating the country until you have explored it completely and writing a book.

P.S. I have no idea what this guy was on.

siobhan07 said:
Text three was the easiest i thought. it tells you that its about 'journeys and experiences in northern and central aust'
This text had the most techniques that i found,:)
Simile 'the deserts of the centre were like schoolrooms'
Metaphor 'a life path that is fragmented'
Personification 'the landscape...offering its redemptive silence'

You had to use the techniques to:
e) Explain what Rothwell comes to realise about his journey.:wave:

I found text 2 the hardest. :bomb: hardley any techniques...only picked up vivid imagery in 'a small paddock rises gently to an apple orchard'
and what the hell does the question have to do with the journeys concept...c) Analyse the writers use of contrast in this feature article?

Section one from this apaer was the hardest and most technique barron i have ever come accross.
I think text two was about her imaginative journey to go and live in the same english town, and experience what it would be like to live in a town where the bubanoic plague had struck. There were a few techniques

Juxtaposition - her idea of not making friends with people she doesn't know, to making friends with them.

First person language - everywhere

Accumulation - when she says all the cities are the same

Emotive language - when the guy was telling her about the plague and it moved her

There are a few others, but i can't remember.

kloudsurfer said:
Lets hope paper 2 is a bit less...crap
I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Jess071

HSC
hey oh my god i thought section one was so hard did not understand text 2 or 3 .... argh so hard!!! thank got its OVER!

jazzmuzik

HSC
i think i got it... (text 3)

i said something along the lines of,

Rothwell realises that in order to achieve "the dream of total coverage" (ie. be able to effectively record and capture the essence of everyone and every places's stories) you must reject a "linear way of thinking" and a calculated approach to discoverying and instead rely on the notion of "chance". it is only when you let chance and all the "erasures and forgettings" this brings with it, that you can finally gain broader appreciation of the richness of a place...

(apologies for weird grammar, englishly brain dead)

thoughts? am i anywhere near it?

sashmackinnon

HSC
I thought text two traced her journey in a litteral sense from city to country, and from ignorance to understanding on a more metaphorical, moral sense. Anywho, with that perspective it really isn't hard to find stuff to support it. There was a bunch of antithesis that i found, "picturesque landscapse of .... arrest from the plague" something like that. The contrast between the lessons in the city and country was a pretty direct metaphor for a journey.

GUYS! the question about his attitude, i interpreted it that he was viewed it as a mandatory process, central australia (the journey) was his "schoolroom" and the horizons (presumably the city) was his "home". Schoolboy metaphor or whatever. I failed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)