• Got 5 minutes? We want to hear from you!
    The Bored of Studies user survey is now open to ALL past and present members!
    Tell us what you think for a chance to win a $100 JB Hi-Fi gift voucher!
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Selective Schools: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

lionking1191

Active Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,071
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Scinery said:
lol no i wasnt making myself clear

im saying that selective kids think that comprehensive = dumb but more importantly dumb = primitive. if it happens within the school you know theres a problem. Because theres a difference between someone who can excel in maths and someone who can excel in life.
hey, don't speak for us ;)

as far as i can see the benefits of selective schools stems mostly from the fact that it gathers together a group of people who actually want to, and is capable of learning, and gets teachers who actually want to, and is good at, teaching (there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss)
 

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
224
Location
Baulkham Hills
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Anus McLovin said:
My bad. I meant people can't go to those schools on natural talent alone. You gotta study a little..even the slightest goes a long way in year 6.

And as for the social awkward thing, i intentionally left the word "most" in there because at these schools the "normal" ones actually happen to be a minority, at the most 50-50. It's only around year 11 and 12 about 1/2 of those 50% open up, and so really, for 4 years of school, it's only 1/4 of the school prepared for the outside world.
well, i'll admit i studied a bit. i did a few IQ puzzles the week before and read through the year 5-6 selective test prep textbook the night before >_> but not a drop of tutoring. but i'll be damned if i put my kids through tutoring when they're in primary school (when I have kids that is >_>)
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
323
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
lionking1191 said:
hey, don't speak for us ;)

as far as i can see the benefits of selective schools stems mostly from the fact that it gathers together a group of people who actually want to, and is capable of learning, and gets teachers who actually want to, and is good at, teaching (there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss)

agreed
if you notice i said "i love the smart people"
not "i love not being around dumb people"

what we're saying is there are advantages of going to a selective school
not the disadvantages of going to comprehensive one
 

lionking1191

Active Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,071
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
AkaiHanabi said:
well, i'll admit i studied a bit. i did a few IQ puzzles the week before and read through the year 5-6 selective test prep textbook the night before >_> but not a drop of tutoring. but i'll be damned if i put my kids through tutoring when they're in primary school (when I have kids that is >_>)
akai getting into baulko from our crappy (academic wise) little school is quite an impressive feat :D
 

Scinery

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
279
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
lionking1191 said:
hey, don't speak for us ;)

as far as i can see the benefits of selective schools stems mostly from the fact that it gathers together a group of people who actually want to, and is capable of learning, and gets teachers who actually want to, and is good at, teaching (there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss)
lol that was really bad grammar

oh dear...


lol well u know that teachers dont choose what school they go to and i think this can all happen at a comprehensive school with a GnT class.
 

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
224
Location
Baulkham Hills
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
nirvanafreak02 said:
some partying that got a bit... out of hand


also the bashing

i feel sorry for him
the spiking drinks thing? yeah, i heard about that from el capitano Oo

and the bashing... yeah, that was unfortunate. He's going to be ok though, he might make it to the picnic =/
 

lionking1191

Active Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,071
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Scinery said:
lol that was really bad grammar

oh dear...


lol well u know that teachers dont choose what school they go to and i think this can all happen at a comprehensive school with a GnT class.
i'll get you to edit my post next time ;)
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
323
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Scinery said:
lol that was really bad grammar

oh dear...


lol well u know that teachers dont choose what school they go to and i think this can all happen at a comprehensive school with a GnT class.
who are you year 11 child?
 

lionking1191

Active Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,071
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
but you do realise that teachers get 'promoted' up the hierarchy and they only end up at the really good schools after they get placedments at seriously crap ones?
 

Scinery

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
279
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
lionking1191 said:
i'll get you to edit my post next time ;)
rofl all part of the baulko err spirit

nirvanafreak02 said:
who are you year 11 child?
yeah umm no. im slightly outnumbered i may as well preserve my dignity.


somehow

lionking1191 said:
but you do realise that teachers get 'promoted' up the hierarchy and they only end up at the really good schools after they get placedments at seriously crap ones?
mmmm like mail lol
 

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
224
Location
Baulkham Hills
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
lionking1191 said:
akai getting into baulko from our crappy (academic wise) little school is quite an impressive feat :D
hehe, i guess so. I think I used to read a lot (fiction and junk novels mostly), and my parents bought a stack of maths textsbooks. i just read the formulas and absorbed them the night before the exam. like a sponge. oh yeah...

and "there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss" *coughtaylorcough*
 

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
464
Gender
Female
HSC
2010
i agree with the OP. selective schools are so stuffed, but i dont want them to get rid of the system
 

zeam

Member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
117
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
any school is fine as long as not public
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top