Selective Schools: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

lionking1191

HSC
Scinery said:
lol no i wasnt making myself clear

im saying that selective kids think that comprehensive = dumb but more importantly dumb = primitive. if it happens within the school you know theres a problem. Because theres a difference between someone who can excel in maths and someone who can excel in life.
hey, don't speak for us ;)

as far as i can see the benefits of selective schools stems mostly from the fact that it gathers together a group of people who actually want to, and is capable of learning, and gets teachers who actually want to, and is good at, teaching (there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss)

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
Anus McLovin said:
My bad. I meant people can't go to those schools on natural talent alone. You gotta study a little..even the slightest goes a long way in year 6.

And as for the social awkward thing, i intentionally left the word "most" in there because at these schools the "normal" ones actually happen to be a minority, at the most 50-50. It's only around year 11 and 12 about 1/2 of those 50% open up, and so really, for 4 years of school, it's only 1/4 of the school prepared for the outside world.
well, i'll admit i studied a bit. i did a few IQ puzzles the week before and read through the year 5-6 selective test prep textbook the night before >_> but not a drop of tutoring. but i'll be damned if i put my kids through tutoring when they're in primary school (when I have kids that is >_>)

HSC
lionking1191 said:

as far as i can see the benefits of selective schools stems mostly from the fact that it gathers together a group of people who actually want to, and is capable of learning, and gets teachers who actually want to, and is good at, teaching (there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss)

agreed
if you notice i said "i love the smart people"
not "i love not being around dumb people"

what we're saying is there are advantages of going to a selective school
not the disadvantages of going to comprehensive one

lionking1191

HSC
AkaiHanabi said:
well, i'll admit i studied a bit. i did a few IQ puzzles the week before and read through the year 5-6 selective test prep textbook the night before >_> but not a drop of tutoring. but i'll be damned if i put my kids through tutoring when they're in primary school (when I have kids that is >_>)
akai getting into baulko from our crappy (academic wise) little school is quite an impressive feat :D

Scinery

HSC
lionking1191 said:

lol that was really bad grammar

oh dear...

lol well u know that teachers dont choose what school they go to and i think this can all happen at a comprehensive school with a GnT class.

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
some partying that got a bit... out of hand

also the bashing

i feel sorry for him
the spiking drinks thing? yeah, i heard about that from el capitano Oo

and the bashing... yeah, that was unfortunate. He's going to be ok though, he might make it to the picnic =/

lionking1191

HSC
Scinery said:

oh dear...

lol well u know that teachers dont choose what school they go to and i think this can all happen at a comprehensive school with a GnT class.
i'll get you to edit my post next time ;)

HSC
Scinery said:

oh dear...

who are you year 11 child?

lionking1191

HSC
but you do realise that teachers get 'promoted' up the hierarchy and they only end up at the really good schools after they get placedments at seriously crap ones?

Scinery

HSC
lionking1191 said:
i'll get you to edit my post next time ;)
rofl all part of the baulko err spirit

nirvanafreak02 said:
who are you year 11 child?
yeah umm no. im slightly outnumbered i may as well preserve my dignity.

somehow

lionking1191 said:
but you do realise that teachers get 'promoted' up the hierarchy and they only end up at the really good schools after they get placedments at seriously crap ones?
mmmm like mail lol

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
lionking1191 said:
akai getting into baulko from our crappy (academic wise) little school is quite an impressive feat :D
hehe, i guess so. I think I used to read a lot (fiction and junk novels mostly), and my parents bought a stack of maths textsbooks. i just read the formulas and absorbed them the night before the exam. like a sponge. oh yeah...

and "there are obvious exceptions which i won't discuss" *coughtaylorcough*

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
i agree with the OP. selective schools are so stuffed, but i dont want them to get rid of the system

zeam

HSC
N/A
any school is fine as long as not public

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)