Share your 2010 ATAR here (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Major works take time but not effort. Actually thats a lie, time is also not a requirement. I never did a thing about my drama Individual. Ext history was a bit time reading but the actual writing took about 10 hours. Ext 2 was something I can't even remember ever doing. The only MW which took lots of time was textiles. I can imagine maths being so much harder.
and you got good results to support all that?

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
very nice atar chromatic. I remember your subs weren't high in scaling.
cheers buddy, yeh i was thinking i would be lucky to get a 90 with advanced eng, general math, software design, ipt and economics lol :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
atar 99.10 happy
one question: how do u know your state ranks?
You can apply for them through Freedom of Information or something rather (I'm not too well-versed in the details). Look at the ATAR Technical Area forums for more info, or contact our resident genius with regards to this, ajdlinux. :)

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
You can apply for them through Freedom of Information or something rather (I'm not too well-versed in the details). Look at the ATAR Technical Area forums for more info, or contact our resident genius with regards to this, ajdlinux. :)
lol, im pretty sure you find out your ranking you were in a subject when they send home the individual subject reports and record of achievement

khfreakau

HSC
3u and 4u takes far less time and dedication than those subjects requiring major works. Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has. I can say personally spending up to 5hours designing, which was about 1/1000 of my folio deserves to be scaled at least the same as X1 and X2. Additionally, constant morning to night graphic work and annotation, updating and maintaining logs and what not and balancing this with an art major and my other subjects, should be awarded more. Maths can cover 4 units, which combined still doesn't equal the work for a 2 unit subject -_-
Whilst I don't do any major work subjects, there are a few things I'd like to point out. At least with major works, you can work on them throughout the whole year, and for some, which consist solely of a major work, namely EE2, once it's done you'll be left with very little to do. I personally think that I didn't put in too much effort towards the yearly exams in year 11, and for MX1 I was ranked 22/185, so I can see where you're coming from. However, I DID complete every last bit of homework my teacher set, and trust me, he sets a lot of homework... What I'm trying to point out is, maths is not a "crammable" subject. You can do it during the holidays and completely disregard it through to exams, and get owned, unlike major works.

On the other hand, from my experience with humanities (I came 1/109 in economics in year 11), they require a LOT more dedicated effort in order to do well, particularly with content rich ones, such as eco and bio. Maths does largely come down to natural ability though; I have had no tutors throughout my life. Basically, in some ways, the scaling system is fair, but in others, it isn't. We just have to put up with it =/

As a quick side note, in my first set of assessments for next year, I did the same amount of work for MX2 as I did MX1. For MX1 I ended up with a rank similar to what I had previously, but after disregarding MX2 for two weeks before the exam and revising the day before, I definitely got below 75%. (We haven't got it back yet, but it was a difficult test =/)

Last edited:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
matrix estimate: 99.80
actual atar: 99.70

this is a win for low scaling subjects and for the no science and no extension people who feel as though their chances of an extremely high atar are virtually non-existent just because they don't do the traditional high-atar generating subjects of 4u maths, chemistry and physics. news flash - you can achieve a high atar with lower scaling subjects if you put in the effort and hard work!!

HSC
Uni Grad
3u and 4u takes far less time and dedication than those subjects requiring major works. Anyone normal can do X1 and X2 if they had a tutor, as everyone who does the subject has. I can say personally spending up to 5hours designing, which was about 1/1000 of my folio deserves to be scaled at least the same as X1 and X2. Additionally, constant morning to night graphic work and annotation, updating and maintaining logs and what not and balancing this with an art major and my other subjects, should be awarded more. Maths can cover 4 units, which combined still doesn't equal the work for a 2 unit subject -_-
it is so obvious that you didnt do maths extension 2.
i did both extension 2 english and ext 2 maths last year. the MX2 is soooo much more difficult and time-consuming (provided you want to do well)

Load Mistress

HSC
I'll just post up my experience, I guess.

At the beginning of the year I had to do a Graphics major work, a Visual Art major work, EE2 Major work and a Music performance.
On top of that, also dedicate time to read prescribed texts and related texts for both Adv English and EE1, as well as keep up to date with Business Studies.
By the middle of the year it proved too much so I dropped music, and spent close to 9 hours every day on my graphics major and art major. I left my EE2 for free periods.
For the amount of hard work and money (over $1,500) that I spent on my majors, I am a little disappointed in my ATAR.

I think that's why I'm a little skeptical with people who do 4 unit math and are scaled relatively high. Don't get me wrong, I know it's extremely tough, I used to do 3 unit math but with all my majors, and the fact that I don't really need math for what I am pursuing, I dropped math completely.

ON THAT NOTE! I'm still happy with my result because it's just a few marks off my preferred course AND! I got into Art Express :)

/Rant (sorry if I offend anyone).

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Dunno if it's just me, but maths seems much easier to get higher in than all the other subjects by far

HSC
Dunno if it's just me, but maths seems much easier to get higher in than all the other subjects by far
I agree!
Though I must say, MX2 is very time consuming. Has anyone else had a maths induced headache?

Also, congrats to all on their ATARs.

HSC
Haha major works are not as difficult or time consuming as 4 unit maths, what a joke

you can get band 6 with a major work without doing any work outside of class lol so easy

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I had a MX2-induced gasp when I saw question 8 in this year's exam. First time I gasped at a maths question =D

slix_88

HSC
I pity those who state that Humanities are scaling higher than Mathematics.

Firstly, to make this clear, there's been a major overhaul (or it seems) in the indexing of the marks. Back in 2006, I think something like 1600-1800 people got band 6 in English Advanced. This year, about 3600 people got a band 6 in the same subject. Can you compare your marks to a person from 2006? No, because of the discrepancy in the aligning of the marks. Back in 2006, they may have aligned the marks using a different technique such that scaling for the UAI was greater. So an 85 back then may have been scaled higher in the determination of UAI rather than an 85 now for ATAR.

Also, scaling and indexing/aligning is determined purely by rigorous statistics. Just from my understanding, indexing of the subject is basically your rank in the exam amongst the state fitted on to a prescribed model / shaped curve. This curve isn't necessarily perfectly normal, but may have some skew depending on various parameters. As for the scaling process, correlation analysis is key to determine how one subject is inherently more difficult than another. Modelling is intensive, with particular attention being paid to the correlation of marks within the year + historical data of the subject related to previous year cohorts.

How can humanities be scaled higher?
- Lower aligned marks due to new prescribed model
- Harder exam (relating to correlation in marks with harder subjects this year + previous year information on marks).
- Biased arbitrary bump in marks??
- More students with harder science subjects taking up humanities and performing relatively the same across their subjects

Qualifications: B Com-Actuarial / App Finance graduate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)