Share your 2010 ATAR here (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I pity dose WHO THA FUCK state dat Humanities are scaling higher den Mathematics.

Firstly, ta make dis clear, dere 's been a major overhaul (or it seems) in da indexing ov da marks. Back in 2006, I fink sumfing lyk 1600-1800 people got band 6 in English Advanced. dis year, about 3600 people got a band 6 in da same subject. Can yu compare your marks ta a person from 2006? No, because ov da discrepancy in da aligning ov da marks. Back in 2006, they may hav aligned da marks using a different technique such dat scaling for da UAI woz greater. So an 85 back then may hav been scaled higher in da determination ov UAI rather den an 85 now for ATAR.

Also, scaling lol & indexing/aligning iz determined purely by rigorous statistics. Just from me understanding, indexing ov da subject iz basically your rank in da exam amongst da state fitted in ta a prescribed model / shaped curve. dis curve isn't necessarily perfectly normal, but may hav some skew depending in various parameters. As for da scaling process, correlation analysis iz key ta determine how one subject iz inherently more difficult den anoder . Modelling iz intensive, wif particular attention being paid ta da correlation ov marks within da year + historical data ov da subject related ta previous year cohorts.

How can humanities be scaled higher?
- Lower aligned marks due ta new prescribed model
- Harder exam (relating ta correlation in marks wif harder subjects dis year + previous year information in marks).
- Biased arbitrary bump in marks??
- More students wif harder science subjects taking up humanities lol & performing relatively da same across there subjects

Qualifications: B Com-Actuarial / App Finance graduate

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I pity dose WHO THA FUCK state dat Humanities are scaling higher den Mathematics.

Firstly, ta make dis clear, dere 's been a major overhaul (or it seems) in da indexing ov da marks. Back in 2006, I fink sumfing lyk 1600-1800 people got band 6 in English Advanced. dis year, about 3600 people got a band 6 in da same subject. Can yu compare your marks ta a person from 2006? No, because ov da discrepancy in da aligning ov da marks. Back in 2006, they may hav aligned da marks using a different technique such dat scaling for da UAI woz greater. So an 85 back then may hav been scaled higher in da determination ov UAI rather den an 85 now for ATAR.

Also, scaling lol & indexing/aligning iz determined purely by rigorous statistics. Just from me understanding, indexing ov da subject iz basically your rank in da exam amongst da state fitted in ta a prescribed model / shaped curve. dis curve isn't necessarily perfectly normal, but may hav some skew depending in various parameters. As for da scaling process, correlation analysis iz key ta determine how one subject iz inherently more difficult den anoder . Modelling iz intensive, wif particular attention being paid ta da correlation ov marks within da year + historical data ov da subject related ta previous year cohorts.

How can humanities be scaled higher?
- Lower aligned marks due ta new prescribed model
- Harder exam (relating ta correlation in marks wif harder subjects dis year + previous year information in marks).
- Biased arbitrary bump in marks??
- More students wif harder science subjects taking up humanities lol & performing relatively da same across there subjects

Qualifications: B Com-Actuarial / App Finance graduate
Someone must be bored XD

JkbOii

HSC
UMAX: 98.90
Einstein: 99.00

Actual: 98.65

Pretty Close, I was actually surprised even going over the 98 mark.

Shows you don't need to go to a selective/private/catholic school to do well.

Public Schools ftw :D.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol, im pretty sure you find out your ranking you were in a subject when they send home the individual subject reports and record of achievement
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case last year.

GregoryB

HSC
I'll just post up my experience, I guess.

At the beginning of the year I had to do a Graphics major work, a Visual Art major work, EE2 Major work and a Music performance.
On top of that, also dedicate time to read prescribed texts and related texts for both Adv English and EE1, as well as keep up to date with Business Studies.
By the middle of the year it proved too much so I dropped music, and spent close to 9 hours every day on my graphics major and art major. I left my EE2 for free periods.
For the amount of hard work and money (over $1,500) that I spent on my majors, I am a little disappointed in my ATAR.

I think that's why I'm a little skeptical with people who do 4 unit math and are scaled relatively high. Don't get me wrong, I know it's extremely tough, I used to do 3 unit math but with all my majors, and the fact that I don't really need math for what I am pursuing, I dropped math completely.

ON THAT NOTE! I'm still happy with my result because it's just a few marks off my preferred course AND! I got into Art Express

/Rant (sorry if I offend anyone).
Legendary reply, and congrats on making art express! Mind sharing your works title so I can look it up when I visit?

Really for things like folios, that look very simple in the end, take enormous amounts of work. People just don't understand how desigining a logo graphic can take 5hours+

Last edited:

Load Mistress

HSC
Legendary reply, and congrats on making art express! Mind sharing your works title so I can look it up when I visit?

Really for things like folios, that look very simple in the end, take enormous amounts of work. People just don't understand how desigining a logo graphic can take 5hours+
Thanks! Yes, I put so much effort and money into my folios and majors :/
My work is titled "2-am-ers" and it'll be displayed at The Armory Sydney Olympic Park as well as Hawkesbury Regional Gallery :)
So excited, at least my hard work paid off on that front!

school2222222

HSC
What the heck? Why everyone who posts here are people with ATARs over 90? Is an ATAR of 80s that bad???

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No, but most people who contribute to a forum on studying are generally aiming for higher marks than the general student population. 80's is by no means a bad effort.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Okay this discussion is pretty off-topic but I do want to contribute. :p

I don't think any subject can really be compared, due to the difference of their nature, and that is WHY scaling exists. There's no point getting mad about it. MX2 has great scaling because it is more difficult to get good MARKS in. You can't really deny that. I'm not talking about like how difficult it is to dedicate yourself to a more logical subject for a year than to sustain a creative major work or whatever, I'm just saying that less people will get say 85+ raw in 4U Maths than say, Visual Arts, because of the difficulty of the actual exam. Anyone who is saying that a mark of 85 in the vis arts theory exam is the same as an 85 in 4U is kidding themselves. Scaling isn't 'set' by the BOS because it sees creative subjects to be of lesser value, it just 'happens' because of how the raw marks fall into place. And it's the same for the major works. If you do well though, it will pay off, you just have to get a higher actual MARK for that to happen, because the average mark for the state will be higher. That's just the way it is.

That's how I understand it anyway, feel free to correct me.

I totally understand though that it is disappointing to devote so much of yourself to a major work and get an average mark which will scale down. That's just part of doing a creative subject though, you put yourself out there and when you are so emotionally connected to something that you have spent so long on, it is always going to be a let down. It's the same though I'm sure for MX2, I'm sure there are tonnes of people out there who spend a lot of time studying and who will fall into the average mark category and hence be scaled down. It doesn't scale up if you don't do well in it.

... yes. I have a point in there somewhere.
... maybe...

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
What the heck? Why everyone who posts here are people with ATARs over 90? Is an ATAR of 80s that bad???
No it is not, but then again NO ONE who ahieved below 90 is likely to share their ATAR in a huge thread like this to aviod embarassment!

MartialArts

HSC
My ATAR is.... 30.00 OR LESS. And my lowest mark was 60 for a subject (but highest was 67). And for me... I am SOOOO HAPPY to actually PASS it! :D

Do I care about the marks/atar? Nope. Did I study all year? No. Did I study last minute? Yes, but it was very inconsistent. I got the mark I deserved.

IMO, It's an ACHIEVEMENT to actually do and complete the HSC. People give up and drop out and don't even do the HSC. So EVERYONE should be proud they have completed the HSC and passed it. And remember, there is like, for example tafe is a ticket into Uni. I found out I got into Tafe yesterday. :)

I applaud everyone here with atars whether if their 90... 70... 60 or even 30 or less. It's not the end of the world, so well done everyone!!

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
My ATAR is.... 30.00 OR LESS. And my lowest mark was 60 for a subject (but highest was 67). And for me... I am SOOOO HAPPY to actually PASS it! :D

Do I care about the marks/atar? Nope. Did I study all year? No. Did I study last minute? Yes, but it was very inconsistent. I got the mark I deserved.

IMO, It's an ACHIEVEMENT to actually do and complete the HSC. People give up and drop out and don't even do the HSC. So EVERYONE should be proud they have completed the HSC and passed it. And remember, there is like, for example tafe is a ticket into Uni. I found out I got into Tafe yesterday. :)

I applaud everyone here with atars whether if their 90... 70... 60 or even 30 or less. It's not the end of the world, so well done everyone!!
It is not an achievement. If you got an *, you're retarded. Even if you dont study, you're retarded to get an *. Someone who has somewhat intelligence will find themselves in the 50s. You my friend, sucks ass.

I hope you enjoyed your free beers yesterday lol :)

NewiJapper

HSC
Chromatic said:
It is not an achievement
I agree. Just saying you have your HSC doesn't mean you have achieved anything. I know too many people that literally worked their butts off and still only got 50's and 60's, and to say that YOU achieved something with little to any study and that you don't care about it anyway is stupid. Why did you even bother doing the HSC when you could have spent 2 quality years at TAFE doing something productive?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
My ATAR is.... 30.00 OR LESS. And my lowest mark was 60 for a subject (but highest was 67). And for me... I am SOOOO HAPPY to actually PASS it!
technically you would have failed all your subjects.. as 60 aligned means you would've gotten 20-30/100 in your subjects..

but ahk i spose it is an achievement that you lasted the tedious year that was the hsc..

thing is you would've gained almost nothing from the year in terms of benefiting your future

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I am going to put a positive spin on this and say: "Ohh, so they report it as '30 and below' and don't put an asterisk..."

I was deceived <_<

blackratpoo

HSC
people on these forums have sticks up their asses. atar is a rank. someone has to get in the bottom 30%. not everyone has to care about the hsc. some people have plans to go straight into apprenticeships...good for them...they have a plan and their following throuugh with it. u freaks from selective schools are so consumed that education is everything that realistically you'll probably earn a little more money in life than dumber fucks but you'll have less friends and live sader lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)