• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sharethread. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Absolutezero (or anyone else), what would you recommend as good symphonic metal and/or power metal cos at the moment I only really listen to Nightwish and Sonata Arctica and have thought about broadening that.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Love Sonata. :)

As for other bands

Iced Earth: One of my favourite power metal bands. They have a very consistent sound across all their albums, so you can pick up almost anything and it will sound good. Two examples, the first is more symphonic than the latter.

YouTube - Iced Earth "When the Eagle Cries"

YouTube - Iced Earth - Pure Evil

Stratovarius: One of the original power metal bands. They have a great range of stuff, and are fairly strong throughout their career. Stadnout song of theirs for me would be:

YouTube - Stratovarius - Eagleheart [Repair]

Ayreon: Solo project of Arjen Lucassen. Mixes symphonic metal with progressive influences. Some really amazing stuff, with a new sound for each song.

YouTube - Ayreon - Comatose

Blind Guardian: One of the more heavier power metal bands around, mostly due to the vocals. For me, I get over them quickly, though the following constantly stays in my top played songs.

YouTube - BLIND GUARDIAN BRIGHT EYES

Dragonland: Symphonic power metal band. Quite similar to Sonata in many ways. The following is a great cover song they do.

YouTube - Dragonland, Neverending Story

Others you may want to check out:
Dark Moor
Cellador
Angra
Evergrey
Devin Townsend
Edguy
Within Temptation
Epica
3 Inches of Blood
Helloween
Excalion

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was after, I shall rep when I can.

Arctopus

HSC
melodic death metal
At the Gates; YouTube - At The Gates - Blinded By Fear

Pretty much a must for any melodeath enthusiast, esp. their album Slaughter of the Soul.

Disillusion; YouTube - Disillusion - And the Mirror Cracked

Heavy heavy heavy music, wide-ranged and talented vocalist, mellow sections.

Soilwork; YouTube - SOILWORK - Rejection Role

One of my favourite melodeath bands, but I don't listen to all that much of it.

Dark Tranquility; YouTube - Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven

Another must for melodeath lovers.

Ensiferum; YouTube - Ensiferum - Hero In A Dream

Not completely melodeath, but they should appeal to anyone who likes melodeath. Jari's band before Wintersun.

Hacride; YouTube - Hacride - To Walk Among Them | Part 1

Same descrip. as above.

Misery Signals; YouTube - Misery Signals - Weight Of The World

Very much a metalcore band, but metalcore isn't so far off melodeath either. Can be very tech at times. Vocalist and drummer are monsters.

Ne Obliviscaris; YouTube - Ne Obliviscaris - Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract

Australian experimental / progressive black metal band.

Obscura; YouTube - OBSCURA - "The Anticosmic Overload"

Tech death made up of some ex members of Necrophagist. Very Cynic, Atheist and Death influenced death metal.

Sikth; YouTube - Sikth - "Bland Street Bloom" Bieler Bros. Records

Tech metal, dual vocalists with otherworldy voices. I guess the entire band are somewhat freakishly over-talented.

Textures; YouTube - Textures - Millstone

Polymetric styled groove metal ala Meshuggah, but with a bit more emphasis on melody.

Hope you find something you like.

Hey Absolutezero (or anyone else), what would you recommend as good symphonic metal and/or power metal cos at the moment I only really listen to Nightwish and Sonata Arctica and have thought about broadening that.

Blind Guardian; YouTube - Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror

My favourite Power Metal band. Their vocalist is unbelievable. He multi-tracks his voice so much in some parts that it sounds like a full blown choir. Awesome melodies, fast music, amazing vocalist; everything you need for a good power metal band.

Better known as Folk Metal, the music is all power metal but the vocals are more akin to those found in Black Metal. You might like it, might not.

Pyramaze; YouTube - Pyramaze - Souls in Pain

Yeah, this is just another Power Metal band that I listened to for a while a few years ago. Since then I sorta fell away from Power Metal so I'm sorry I couldn't help ya further. Hopefully you like Blind Guardian at least, they're the only Power Metal band I listen to these days :D.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my mdm band list currently consists of:

*****Amon Amarth
Arsis
*****Beyond the Sixth Seal
**Carcass
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquility
*Ensiferum
***God Dethroned (passiondale album is sorta kinda mdm)
*****In Flames
******************************************************Insomnium
*Kalmah
Keep of Kalessin
*Lykathea Aflame
*********Nightrage
*Noumena
Quo Vadis
*Rotting Christ
Scar Symmetry
*This Ending
*Watch Me Fall
*********Wintersun

starred bands mean i like them.

Will check out your list, Arctopus.

Also, my favourite Ensiferum songs are Token of Time, Victory Songs, Eternal Wait (in that order).

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for those Arctopus, really like the sound of Blind Guardian and the others are epic too!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
also, lastfm suggested the following bands to me:

omnium gatherum
norther
Arthemesia
mors principium est
skyfire
eternal tears of sorrow
Disarmonia Mundi

who listens to em? how good are they?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Better known as Folk Metal, the music is all power metal but the vocals are more akin to those found in Black Metal. You might like it, might not.
Yeah, I was thinking about including them on my list. If you end up liking them, check out Elvenking, and Mago De Oz. They're my two other favourite folk metal bands, along with enisferum.

who listens to em? how good are they?
Only know EToS, which I already mentioned. :D

Hear anything you like Ab?
Haven't checked them out yet. My internet is running heaps slow at the moment. I'll try and give them a go now.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hear anything you like Ab?
Ok, so I've listened to at least part of them now. :) They're pretty good, an unusual mix of forms, but enjoyable.

Along a similar vein, also looking for Smooth/Crossover Jazz. Stuff that's either woodwind or solo brass driven. Nothing really 'big band' though.

Arctopus

HSC
Ok, so I've listened to at least part of them now. :) They're pretty good, an unusual mix of forms, but enjoyable.

Along a similar vein, also looking for Smooth/Crossover Jazz. Stuff that's either woodwind or solo brass driven. Nothing really 'big band' though.
Ok, cool. Sorry, can't really help you much in that region... these links might be of help to you, though.

Smooth jazz music - Listen free at Last.fm
Saxophone music - Listen free at Last.fm
Trumpet music - Listen free at Last.fm

ColdBuffet

HSC

YouTube - David Sanborn - SLAM!

YouTube - Gerald ALbright - Georgia on My Mind

YouTube - Gerald Albright - Walker's Theme (Live)

YouTube - Lee Ritenour & Eric Marienthal - Rio Funk

Not so much smooth jazz but (and not quite sure what you mean by crossover jazz): YouTube - Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Sojourn Of Arjuna (Live)

Arctopus

HSC

Yeah not sure what you meant by crossover jazz either. My understanding is the fusing of jazz into other genres like rock. Eh, let me know...

Here's a track you might like by Japanese jazz group Soil and "PIMP" Sessions

YouTube - SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS "Summer Goddess"

Edit: ColdBuffet, I just listened to that Flecktones track, it's a killer.

Last edited:

Mudkip94

HSC
gangster classical rap
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFK6H_CcuX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFK6H_CcuX8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

It has symphonic elements but isn't really classical...

Mudkip94

HSC
Can someone recommend indie-pop tunes like Lenka and Zooey Deschanel/She & Him?

Arctopus

HSC
Can someone recommend indie-pop tunes like Lenka and Zooey Deschanel/She & Him?
Sufjan Stevens; YouTube - Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! - Sufjan Stevens

Bought this guys album Michigan as a present for my girlfriend and she enjoys all sorts of indie rock, pop and the like and she absolutely loves it. Skip to about :40 if you don't wanna hear the monologue.

Bon Iver; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMmr1oMPGA

A couple of my friends rave about Bon Iver and his album For Emma Forever Ago, so I thought I'd post it up too. He stayed in a wooden shack in the snow by himself to record this album. All he had was 3 microphones, an acoustic guitar and a bass drum. Pretty cool stuff.

maudlin of the Well; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn4WYG25Ts8

One of my favourite bands of the past year, (we'll see if it sticks 'til the end of the time), and I thought it sort of suited the styles of the music I had posted further up. Sorry if they're not really in that indie-pop vein you were looking for, all I know is that they fit into some sort of indie-rock / alternative bag.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Crossover Jazz:
In the wake of fusion's decline in the mid-1970s, jazz artists who continued to seek wider audiences began incorporating a variety of popular sounds into their music, forming a group of accessible styles that became known as crossover jazz..crossover jazz retains an emphasis on improvisation but attempts to make that improvisation commercially successful by couching it in a variety of marketable formats.

wiki source. :)

Will post a response to Indie-Pop soon.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Indie-Pop

Tegan & Sara: Twin sisters from Canada. Are reasonably well known in the indie pop scene, and for good reason. Interesting songs and lyrics, with great stage presence.

YouTube - Tegan and Sara - Monday monday monday live

Stars: Have been getting rave reviews for a while now. Hard sound to define, but give it a listen.

YouTube - Stars - My Favourite Book

Andrew Bird: Possibly more rock than pop, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give a mention. One of the best artists I've found in Indie, with amzing music. Think of the acclaim that Radiohead get, as all that could be applied to this guy.

YouTube - Andrew Bird on Letterman "plasticities"

YouTube - Andrew Bird "Fitz and the Dizzyspells"

The All New Adventures of Us: A strange mix of indie, folk, pop, rock, and a whole bunch of other stuff thrown in. Lyrically interesting, with strong musical melody to support it.

YouTube - Tanaou/The All New Adventures Of Us - The Art Of The High-Five at Roadmender

Jesus H Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse: Most people have never heard of them, which is a shame. Even I only came across them by chance of the odd name. Strong combination of music and (often) humourous lyrics. Again, like Bird, may be too rock oriented, but worth a listen.

Check out the songs Alcoholics In My Town, and Conneticuts for Fking.

This is the best link I could find to them quickly on youtube:

YouTube - Jesus H Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
math rock, in the vein of my disco, slint, the shipping news, june of 44 etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)