• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sharethread. (1 Viewer)

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
I love indie-folk sounds but apart from the obvious Laura Marling, Noah and the Whale etc etc I don't have a very in depth collection of this genre. Anyone know any others?
you neeeeeeeed to listen to CocoRosie now. La maison de mon reve is the album to get.

nikilily

HSC
imo london folk scene is one of the worst, Marling is an exception because she reminds me of Joni Mitchell but yeah uhh Chad VanGaalen, Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Bird, Joanna Newsom, A.A. Bondy, Akron/Family, Alela Diane, Annuals, Beck, Bon Iver, Calexico, Iron & Wine, Charge Group, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Devendra Banhart, Dirty Projectors, El Perro Del Mar, Firekites, Fleet Foxes, Jenny Lewis, Laura Veirs, Lisa Mitchell, M. Ward, Monsters of Folk, My Brightest Diamond, My Morning jacket, Okkervil River, Paul Dempsey, She & Him, Silver Jews, Vetiver, Yo la Tengo.

a lot of the bands i mentioned though are more alt folk, alt country, new folk or just plain folk. indie folk is a very broad genre and i guess my definitions of what classifies indie folk is different/wrong, but yeah just pick any, they are all good
Thanks I have got quite a few of those bands/artists. And I do agree with you, the London folk scene is crap at the moment besides Marling and a few others.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Thanks I have got quite a few of those bands/artists. And I do agree with you, the London folk scene is crap at the moment besides Marling and a few others.
noah and the whale have like one good song.

have you got any port o'brien?

nikilily

HSC
No, have never even heard the name. I'll check them out.

meeatu

HSC
Hey, how about some stuff along the same lines of The Birthday Party?
I'm sadly very short on that artsy Post-punk :[ - That special time when they still had the perfect blend of artsy musical wankery and raw aggression without having to turn to Tech Death Metal.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
^Try Oysterhead. It's more of a jam band, but they've got Les Claypool, so its similar.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Hey, how about some stuff along the same lines of The Birthday Party?
I'm sadly very short on that artsy Post-punk :[ - That special time when they still had the perfect blend of artsy musical wankery and raw aggression without having to turn to Tech Death Metal.
This Heat - Deceit

although they are a bit harder to get into than something like the birthday party...

meeatu

HSC
This Heat - Deceit

although they are a bit harder to get into than something like the birthday party...
Cheers dude, I'll look em up.
Oh goodie! :]
I tend to love music that is hard to get into :p

EDIT: I'm listening now, and tbh, I find them a little boring :/
I was hoping for something that kept a little of punks aggression
These guys are a little tame for me. Sorry.
thanks for trying though :)

^Try Oysterhead. It's more of a jam band, but they've got Les Claypool, so its similar.
Thanks, That dude is a freak :p

EDIT: Oysterhead is working for me :p
Pretty trippy, even more so than Primus lol.

I hope they have some funky riffs in there too!
that would be cool.
Still listening :]

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you get into Oysterhead, check out Phish. Even more sidetracked away from Funk, but they're amazing.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
ima guess that if you've listened to primus then you've listen to butthole surfers as well? they go pretty much hand-in-hand for that whole 'spastic technical funk' thang.

and uhh, did you ever hear snowman - the rat, the horse and the swan? best aussie album i've heard in yonks. it's not at all minimalistic/slow like that this heat album can be i promise :p

meeatu

HSC
ima guess that if you've listened to primus then you've listen to butthole surfers as well? they go pretty much hand-in-hand for that whole 'spastic technical funk' thang.

and uhh, did you ever hear snowman - the rat, the horse and the swan? best aussie album i've heard in yonks. it's not at all minimalistic/slow like that this heat album can be i promise :p
Yeah I've given them a listen, they're good fun.
Nah, never heard of them though, I'll give em a listen when I get back home.
You heard of and Aussie band called Cartoon?
It's a band I roadie for, they've got 2 albums released, 'Ovine/Bovine' and 'The Annexxe', and honestly, they're incredible!
It's got the same feel to it as the bands we've been talking about, except, more emphasis on funky basslines, marching drums, trippy guitar solos and humourous lyrics :] - The stuff on their myspace is not the best, but if you can't listen to them any other way, "sheep" is the best song on there.
I would recomend 'Leon the Lemming', 'Cow, 'Two', and 'Bendy Wendy Man'.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Looking for Synth Pop. Along the lines of: New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Time Bandits, etc. Preferably with lyrics, but not a requirement.

Even better if the lyrics are dark or sad, which is juxtaposed with the happy music...

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Looking for Synth Pop. Along the lines of: New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Time Bandits, etc. Preferably with lyrics, but not a requirement.

Even better if the lyrics are dark or sad, which is juxtaposed with the happy music...
definitely check out chromatics - night drive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)