• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Sangfroid said:
As it's part of an Australian (yes, a mostly English-speaking country regardless of its multiculturalism) education course, I would consider that English should be a core subject.
i agree here.
HOWEVER, i don't like what we are currently (journey, belonging & all that shit). the syllabus is fucked up, i think that getting the fundamental part right (spelling, reading, writing and public/speaking) is more important and relevant than analysing a shakespearse's hamlet or "how effetctive is robert frost in exloring the concept of journey?"

i'm in yr 11 btw.

tambourine

HSC
d3vilz said:
i agree here.
HOWEVER, i don't like what we are currently (journey, belonging & all that shit). the syllabus is fucked up, i think that getting the fundamental part right (spelling, reading, writing and public/speaking) is more important and relevant than analysing a shakespearse's hamlet or "how effetctive is robert frost in exloring the concept of journey?"

i'm in yr 11 btw.
lol i totally agree

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
d3vilz said:
i agree here.

i'm in yr 11 btw.
you learn to spell, read and write in primary school. it would be a laughing matter if they made that the syllabus. also the main aim of the syllabus is not supposed to teach you about journeys, belonging and all that shit, it is suppose to indirectly critically analyse, write good essays, have a deeper appreciation of culture ...

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
cs01001 said:
What kind of statement is that? :p
lOl i agree.

though i was going to say english should be compulsory cause what else can you make 1 particular subject compulsory other than english. and i swear so many poeple dont know english and since the Fckin here in australia where english is the no1 language it should be. but fck me english is so full of shit

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
you learn to spell, read and write in primary school. it would be a laughing matter if they made that the syllabus. also the main aim of the syllabus is not supposed to teach you about journeys, belonging and all that shit, it is suppose to indirectly critically analyse, write good essays, have a deeper appreciation of culture ...
You learn that stuff in yr 10. So english shoul only be compulsary for people who failed their english SC.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Hmmm. I think maybe a final test at the end of highschool - to check that students have a basic grasp of english ( that was NOT part of HSC) would be a good idea - for those who arent very 'into' english, and would rather make up units with other subjects

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
You learn that stuff in yr 10. So english shoul only be compulsary for people who failed their english SC.
no you learn English at a band 4 level at the SC, at the HSC you learn it a band 5 level.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
But pretty much all HSC subject require you to write written responses which requires a sufficient level of english anyway.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
foram said:
bro anyone can pass the sc. i got band 4 for english in the sc. and i kid you not at the start of year 11 i asked me tutor teacher wtf is this essay crap and pretty much failed and failed suprisingly got 72 in english in the hsc although i still failed because by the end i learnt the art of writing an essay through english which im repeating btw cause fcking N awarded ><"" now im getting 90% in english which also helps me to write proper essays in history and ext history so it should be compulsory but if you asked me last year i would said fuck off

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
But pretty much all HSC subject require you to write written responses which requires a sufficient level of english anyway.
'

which is why you need compulosry english or i wouldnt of known how to respond to a writing task at all if it wasnt for year 11 year 12. year 10 omfg your write anything and you will get a mark.

i just realised that i think maybe in year 10 the criteria may not have like writting in a coherant manner unlike hsc criteria more advance.
this was exactly the same as history >< where i expected hsc to be easy like year 10 where i got like high extictions and all ^^ just rambling crap to fckin coming near last in hsc...reason why i am repeatin fck me....though i wont be making that mistake again...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
dodgyv said:
bro anyone can pass the sc. i got band 4 for english in the sc. and i kid you not at the start of year 11 i asked me tutor teacher wtf is this essay crap and pretty much failed and failed suprisingly got 72 in english in the hsc although i still failed because by the end i learnt the art of writing an essay through english which im repeating btw cause fcking N awarded ><"" now im getting 90% in english which also helps me to write proper essays in history and ext history so it should be compulsory but if you asked me last year i would said fuck off
When I said pass the SC, what I really meant was a band 5 or 6. Do you think that although I got a 94 in the English SC, I won't be able to write essays in economics? Yr 11/12 English really isn't going to help me write better essays for economics. All english will do is make me get a high 80 or low 90 for the HSC which will be the worst mark I'll have, which will drag my UAI down. :(

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
but all the other HSC courses have outcomes which are based on context rather than essay writing skills.

SuperStar-3000

HSC
hellz yeah. if nobody here has noticed yet, you think in language, therefore increasing your language skills allows you to think better and better express yourself.
come on.

fleck27

HSC
I voted no, only because some people are really bad at it and it will drag down their UAI. Some people who do like 4U maths aiming really high can be quite bad at English at it just drags people down unneccesarily

Although, even if it wasn't compulsory I think i would still do it.

HSC
Although english develops nessesary life skills in the lower years, year 11 and 12 english doesn't have any more to do with life skills than any other subject. If the people that left in year 10 can survive without why should it be compulsory. i understand uni places different demands than those on students who left in year 10, but english is not essential to many courses. If math doens't have to be done (a truely vital subject) than why should english. Personally i enjoy english but it is my weakest subject, in other words i would get better marks if i didn't have to do it and could do something else. I agree that english can help other subjects, for instances it helps with being able to correcty phrase answers. whilst the critical study of texts which represents most of the work done in year 11 and 12 doesn't really have any real benifits on other subjects, life exists outside the HSC and i think english can influence a persons philosophy or at least encourage people to think in a philosophical manner. I think though that people should be able to choose whether they want to do this subject weighing up the pros and cons for themselves as they would do for any other subject.

samwell

HSC
english is interesting. i am 80% yes and 20% No. I just like the concept of textual analysis and opinionated perspectives on an issue.

jonaxiang

HSC
Definetly NO!, Our school's english teachers are just feminist viewpointed markers who consistently hand out shit marks out even to the ext 2 english on some random occassions lol.

laurennn91

HSC
I'm not sure if this has already been said since I didn't read the whole thread, but it seems like a lot of people (not all) who excel at subjects like science and maths think it's unfair that english is compulsory. Even a lot of people who don't do these subjects also think it's unfair on students they know who are really good at science and maths and I can understand their point of view.

But since when did the HSC become about excelling at only a particular strand of education? Isn't the whole idea meant to be about getting a whole-rounded education so that we can become better human beings generally?

Forgive me if I'm being too philosophic but I just don't think the HSC should be focused on succeeding in the tiniest range of subjects just to get the highest UAI possible.

bleu

HSC
50479 said:
Although english develops nessesary life skills in the lower years, year 11 and 12 english doesn't have any more to do with life skills than any other subject. If the people that left in year 10 can survive without why should it be compulsory. i understand uni places different demands than those on students who left in year 10, but english is not essential to many courses. If math doens't have to be done (a truely vital subject) than why should english. Personally i enjoy english but it is my weakest subject, in other words i would get better marks if i didn't have to do it and could do something else. I agree that english can help other subjects, for instances it helps with being able to correcty phrase answers. whilst the critical study of texts which represents most of the work done in year 11 and 12 doesn't really have any real benifits on other subjects, life exists outside the HSC and i think english can influence a persons philosophy or at least encourage people to think in a philosophical manner. I think though that people should be able to choose whether they want to do this subject weighing up the pros and cons for themselves as they would do for any other subject.
THANKYOU!!!
I agree completely. The whole matter is black and white for me.
One can present a good argument for every subject about how beneficial it is in life or whatever. But at the level of year 12, we should be able to make our own decisions as to what subjects we want to do and choose them based on interest, future aspirations and/or ability. Like you say 50479 it is ridiculous that someone intending to do an entirely mathematics course at uni should be forced to do english in yr 12.

To the post above by laurennn91 you said:

But since when did the HSC become about excelling at only a particular strand of education? Isn't the whole idea meant to be about getting a whole-rounded education so that we can become better human beings generally?

WHAT?!! By the HSC, people are allowed to pick their own subjects because people have different strengths and weaknesses and want different things for their future . "Excelling at a particular strand of education..." isn't that we are all aiming for? isn't that the whole idea of a career?!

Forgive me if I'm being too philosophic but I just don't think the HSC should be focused on succeeding in the tiniest range of subjects just to get the highest UAI possible.

So you think we should be studying a wide range of subjects then?! Oh lets make it so that everyone must do one science, one humanity, english, maths and a language, then, whopeee, we'll have a 'whole rounded education'!!?! WTF!

People should be able to choose the subjects they want and not, as in some cases, have their HSC experience and UAI dragged down by english when they could be doing something they enjoy that specifically helps them in their career aspirations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)