Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

the question should be: Should English be compulsary for the UAI?

I think that is the real issue,

Leave ur thoughts on english in the HSC

I just wanted to find out what people thought of English being a compulsary subject, coz loads of people bitch about it at school

Last edited:

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
The reason i stick this in, is coz many people tell me they wouldn't do English for the HSC if it weren't compulsary

What are ur feelings

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
English sucks. It should only be compulsary for people who did badly in the SC.

The majority of people who vote english to be compulsary are women.

HSC
I like english, it should be compulsory but would be cool if it could be changed instead of studying texts it should be like the SATS all about punctuation ect then ext 1 and 2 ect should be studies of texts.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
English should be compulsory as English accentuates critical thinking and encourages higher level of essay writings.

Having said that, English does not have to be part of our UAI. It should be compulsory as a subject but we shouldn't hold any obligation to count it as our UAI.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
lyounamu said:
English should be compulsory as English accentuates critical thinking and encourages higher level of essay writings.

Having said that, English does not have to be part of our UAI. It should be compulsory as a subject but we shouldn't hold any obligation to count it as our UAI.
i agree completely

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
English also includes essential skills that may be of great value once we go to universities as I heard that we will be bombarded with essay writings once we go there. :mad:

EDIT: English also helps other subjects. From English we learn to form & strucutre better answers and essays. I reckon all subjects except few (like Mathematics Extension 1 & 2) have essays in varying lengths. Being good at essay wouldn't hurt, would it? :cool:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Not really. Essays in economics have nothing to do with essays in english, except for the use of english.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
English actually never helped me for essay writing, i actually have a very strong essay structure for subjects, (i did really well in History and Geography and extended responses for other subjects in yr 10), its just when it came to English, the q's are almost always absolute BS, journeys are about the process of speculation (wtf?), the journey not the destination is important (2 x wtf?) it's where i tend to blab on and my essay just dies. If the question isn't complete BS, like in the modules, my essay tends to be alright

In fact at my school, people say that they learn how to write a really good essays in ecos not in english

btw, i got rid of the previous thread, sorry if anyone had some important stuff in that thread.

HSC
nayyarv said:
q's are almost always BS, journeys are about the process of speculation (wtf?), the journey not the destination is important (2 x wtf?)
How are those questions bullshit? Q1 ... for imaginary, the significance of whether it actually happened or not is a big thing to consider for that topic. Hence the question is valid. Q2 is simpler than that, it's simply that the place we arrive doesn't matter, it's the obstacles we've navigated and the growth/changes we've undergone that are important... Both those questions are quite valid IMO.

I believe that English should be compulsory, but I believe that for Standard it should be focused more on writing skills, sentence structure, essays, grammar/spelling etc, rather than analysing... sort of like what name_i_want said earlier, extentions should be for text studies.

foram said:
The majority who vote that it shouldn't be compulsory have their noses out of joint because they don't happen to be good at it i.e. you :p

As for the idea of it not counting to the UAI... if you're going to do the subject, you may as well be getting credit for it IMO.

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I hate english although I think it should still be compulsary to develop self expression, but they should do something to make the courses more interesting. I did english extention 1 in year 11 and I found it a lot more interesting than 2 unit, and as a result I did better in it, but dropped it becuase otherwise I'd have 13 units. If they made the 2 unit advanced course more like the 3 unit course, where the topics arent so boring, and there is more room for personal expression.

It would be nice if they didnt have to count english, but if they did that, everyone who hated english (a lot of people) would just bludge around in english and not put in any effort, so it would be kinda counterproductive.

cs01001

HSC
foram said:
English sucks. It should only be compulsary for people who did badly in the SC.

What kind of statement is that? :p

selablad

HSC
I don't think that English should be compulsory (except possibly, as foram suggested, for people who didn't do well in previous years and haven't developed the basic skills, but then should be developing basic skills like sentences and grammar). Every subject has skills that will help in other subjects, eg maths teaches you to think logically, science to analyse evidence and come to conclusions, etc. So saying that english should be compulsory because it helps in other subjects or at uni isn't really that sensible, because what about all the people who want to study, say, maths at uni, where they will not be writing that many essays?

That said, even if english wasn't compulsory, I would still do it, but because I'm interested in the thinking and analysing and all that, and because the sorts of things I'm considering for uni would probably have heaps of essays and related stuff. But that's a personal choice, and I can see how others who don't want to follow the same course I would choose could believe that english is totally pointless to what they want to do.

eliseliselise

HSC
yes it should definitely be compulsory!! its an english speaking country!! but i think that maths should also be compulsory coz numbers r@wk.

english is really the only thing preventing me from failing life. because those maths/physics/engineering minded people would otherwise dominate the HSC, & without english there would be nothing to bring them down & theyd be getting a UAI of like 103. it also forces people who do like 4u math, physics, engineering and chemistry to have a bit of variety.

its a widely used skill, that everyone is using at this very moment & there are very few jobs that you wont need at least a teensy bit of english knowledge!!

:lol:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
in WA you dont have to count english in your UAI score

You have to pass though, requiring 62.5% so its extremely hard for 'drop-kicks' to get into uni for subjects which require a subject average of like 50.

I think its too hard to pass english, the effort required is overwhelming.

I would sugest that a lower level of english be required, i know i can write essays and such well from economics.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
wat i want to know

Is should it be compulsary for UAI calculation

i.e. if someone gets like high band 6's for 10 units of non-english subjects and gets like a band 4 in english, shouldnt his best 10 units count, not his best 8 and 2 units of english

If u were crap at english would u say english should be compulsary

Looks like all the people who like english are voting

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
nayyarv said:
wat i want to know

Is should it be compulsary for UAI calculation

i.e. if someone gets like high band 6's for 10 units of non-english subjects and gets like a band 4 in english, shouldnt his best 10 units count, not his best 8 and 2 units of english

If u were crap at english would u say english should be compulsary

Looks like all the people who like english are voting
Only have to count top 4 subjects in WA :D e.g. I'll count Calculus, Applicable Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)