Should English Be Compulsary Poll (2 Viewers)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Any recent thoughts?
Having finished HSC, I'm glad that English was compulsory :)
English should be compulsory but there should be system or of some sort to make it so that English doesn't have to count towards UAI...my dream of 99.95 ATAR is freaking gone because of it, ahhhh

random-1005

Banned
HSC
but if they made maths compulsory, you'd only really have 6 units to choose in the HSC year.
i agree that alot of stuff done in english is quite unnecessary like deconstructing texts but there are other skills that come out of it.

thats not a valid arguement, thats complete crap

random-1005

Banned
HSC
English should be compulsory but there should be system or of some sort to make it so that English doesn't have to count towards UAI...my dream of 99.95 ATAR is freaking gone because of it, ahhhh

ohh no, end of the world for this guy, when i heard they changed UAI to ATAR and now the max is 99.95 i thought god, alot of tryhards out there are going to be jumping out of buildings, i mean whats the point of living if you cant get 100UAI

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
ohh no, end of the world for this guy, when i heard they changed UAI to ATAR and now the max is 99.95 i thought god, alot of tryhards out there are going to be jumping out of buildings, i mean whats the point of living if you cant get 100UAI
Namu would be one of the more deserving 09ers of getting a 99.95 ATAR.
Don't knock it til you try it.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Like namu said somewhere on here, I think English should be compulsory because it teaches and develops critical thinking and articulate expression. However, it has always seemed to me, as someone who is more maths oriented, that compulsory English during the HSC is unfair, because some students are no doubt more maths focused, whereas others are easily more english focused.

Maybe a system along the lines of:

- English, Maths, Science, Geo, History etc compulsory until end of year 10

- Only English and Maths compulsory in year 11

- One of either English or Maths compulsory in year 12

Both subjects promote analytical/critical thinking, and whilst making them compulsory until year 10 will deliver the essentials to all students, allowing the freedom to drop one will better serve students to narrow their focus right at the end of their studies.

samthebear

HSC
only if maths or science is complsory as well.
So everyone'll know how it feels like to totally suck at something.

Holly_H

HSC
Right, lets get rid of English as a compulsory subject. Thats just what we all need, more people who cannot construct a coherent, let alone articulate sentence.
Take a look around at the poor levels of literacy clearly displayed in these forums. My gosh, people aren't even starting sentences with capitals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)