Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

nrs1990

HSC
I don't think English is compulsory... And I'm doing four units of it.

It's no more important than our other subjects. Maths, history, legal studies, sciences, computing, they're all relevant and are all important. But they're not compulsory. And nor should they be. Everyone has different interests and skills, and for a person's future to depend on them being skilled in such a specific area shouldn't be necessary for their future life. Not all professions or uni subjects require an advanced knowledge of English, and not everyone has the advantage of an English speaking background; so why should it determine whether or not someone gets into a course?

The knowledge we need to succeed in everyday life, we've already learnt by years 11 and 12. It's not like HSC English is radically different to what we learnt in years 9 and 10. Sure, English is important. But it's not the only important subject. Just because I like English (sorta...) doesn't mean that I think other people, who hate the subject, should suffer through it for an arbitrary reason. I don't think English should be compulsory.

ccc123

HSC
miegoreng said:
EXACTLY! That's why it shouldn't be compulsory!!!!
Y-es, but as I've said before, there needs to be a common subject for scaling. So, no matter what subject was selected, there would always inevitably be people who considered it irrelevant/a waste of time. You have to cater for the majority.

Shoubadoo

HSC
nrs1990 said:
I don't think English is compulsory... And I'm doing four units of it.

It's no more important than our other subjects. Maths, history, legal studies, sciences, computing, they're all relevant and are all important. But they're not compulsory. And nor should they be. Everyone has different interests and skills, and for a person's future to depend on them being skilled in such a specific area shouldn't be necessary for their future life. Not all professions or uni subjects require an advanced knowledge of English, and not everyone has the advantage of an English speaking background; so why should it determine whether or not someone gets into a course?

The knowledge we need to succeed in everyday life, we've already learnt by years 11 and 12. It's not like HSC English is radically different to what we learnt in years 9 and 10. Sure, English is important. But it's not the only important subject. Just because I like English (sorta...) doesn't mean that I think other people, who hate the subject, should suffer through it for an arbitrary reason. I don't think English should be compulsory.
Fair argument.
Agreed.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
miegoreng said:
EXACTLY! That's why it shouldn't be compulsory!!!!
I never said it should be compulsory. I also have never participated in that poll.

miegoreng

HSC
ccc123 said:
Y-es, but as I've said before, there needs to be a common subject for scaling. So, no matter what subject was selected, there would always inevitably be people who considered it irrelevant/a waste of time. You have to cater for the majority.

I don't believe there needs to be a common subject for scaling. But even if there needs to be, the majority clearly want math rather than english.

Look at the numbers for extension 1 and 2 for math and english. Math numbers are greater.

I noticed that women have more numbers in the extension english courses by far, and vice versa for math. I think it might be because women generally like talking more and so can expand well, which is good for english.

And for the post above mine, i never said that you said english should be compulsory.

People good at English don't seem to be great conrtibutors to society

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
miegoreng said:
I don't believe there needs to be a common subject for scaling. .
There does. Have a read of the Scaling FAQ.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=60687

miegoreng said:
But even if there needs to be, the majority clearly want math rather than english. Look at the numbers for extension 1 and 2 for math and english. Math numbers are greater. .
Irrespective of whether English or Maths Extension courses are more popular, there is a perception at BOS that the skills taught in English are generally more imperative than the skills taught in maths. As for me, I would argue both are relevant, but feel the maths skills taught years 7-10 are sufficient for most students. For English, this is the solution I propose:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3412961&postcount=8

miegoreng

HSC
ccc123 said:
Irrespective of whether English or Maths Extension courses are more popular, there is a perception at BOS that the skills taught in English are generally more imperative than the skills taught in maths.
The reason maths is more popular is that people think it is more imperative to learn than English. But seeing as most teachers are women, and more women like to do English, it will stay a compulsory subject for a long time to come.

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Ok,
If one looks at the English coarse and compares it to the General Mathematics coarse:

It is obvious that General maths is (to me) far more practical in our society.
Where would we have to analyze a text with reference to to themes, techniques and a minimum of 2 related texts?

I think the reason we have compulsory english is to try and maintain the basics of language in an ever growing society where 'lol' and 'wuts' are becoming the norm.
The problem is, the basics are only taught up until year 10, if that!
So, my solution:
Make 2 units of mathematics compulsory
Have more indicative hours in the junior years for english
Make a New English coarse thats continues with the basics.

gavvsy

HSC
I have mixed feelings about it. English is a pointless and endless subject. However, on the other hand it does improve your critical thinking/analysis and essay writing, which is essential if studying at uni. :uhoh:

Last edited:

stephles

HSC
hey im not sure if it should be compulsory... and i dont do general maths i do advanced... but even if it weren't compulsory i'd still do it ;) ... i LOVE english... if you think about it its good that its compulsory... its the ONLY subject where you can dribble anything as an answer and all you need to do is make up... well... anything really... as an answer... its awesome :)

-tony-

HSC
midifile said:
I hate english although I think it should still be compulsary to develop self expression, but they should do something to make the courses more interesting. I did english extention 1 in year 11 and I found it a lot more interesting than 2 unit, and as a result I did better in it, but dropped it becuase otherwise I'd have 13 units. If they made the 2 unit advanced course more like the 3 unit course, where the topics arent so boring, and there is more room for personal expression.

It would be nice if they didnt have to count english, but if they did that, everyone who hated english (a lot of people) would just bludge around in english and not put in any effort, so it would be kinda counterproductive.
i agree with u where u say that extension is much better than advanced
althoe atm its picked up with out module on speeches

english should be compulsory but i actually think that lyk others hav said it should only be counted for our UAI if its in out top 10 units

nandison

HSC
you know what i reckon that not only woman think it should be compulsory , its everyone that wants a better future and everyone that is working in a god atmosphere.

See ENGLISH is communication it isn t about the way someone corrects another or about the way we write essays its about the way we conduct ourselves and communicate. See people who are working in a good atmosphere are there because their communication let them have that personality that they have and their speaking and word choices may have got them through the interview.

ENGLISH isnt just about grammar and punctuality its about having a point of view and being able to back it up which then builds your confidence.

Omg im so sorry to bore you guys out but i have to tell you something my english teacher told me , why ENGLISH is so important ..
because only an uneducated person will need to raise his voice. Where as an educated person will say his point of view and back it up , and uneducated person will raise his voice because his point wont get across because he has no evidence to back it up !

But yerr umm besides all that i think ENGLISH should be compulsory!!! not just in the UAI but also in the HSC!

miegoreng

HSC
nandison said:
ENGLISH isnt just about grammar and punctuality its about having a point of view and being able to back it up which then builds your confidence.
Ahhh, your so misguided. In English what you really learn is that it's full of useless stuff. In an essay you have a thesis statement and then back it up with evidence. Good, BUT you ignore all other pieces of evidence that contradicts your idea. In other, far better, subjects you have to use evidence and then come to the conclusion.

If you need English to have a point of view and back it up, then that is very sad. Also, you have to fake a lot of things in English. If you see a clear contradiction in a text, you have to say its some important paradox, but if you put the exact same thing in a story you made, teachers will see your writing as messed up and confusing. Over 60% of the responders to this survey say no! That should be enough in this democratic society of ours!!!

Last edited:

Mizzzle

HSC
This shouldn't be a question of whether people enjoy the subject, or even how useful it is. Pure and simple: should we HAVE TO do it? Many people enjoy maths, and most would argue that mathematics encourages complex analytical thinking, far more than English does; yet, it is not compulsory. This makes sense, as those who enjoy maths can choose to do the subject, and those who need to improve their skills can also. The same should be applied to English.

luthienanwamane

HSC
I would prefer not to have to do English, but I understand the necessity of making sure that everyone can effectively use the language.

What I don't agree with is the fact that it is compulsary to count for your UAI. Many people who would otherwise have achieved brilliant UAIs may be excluded from that top band because they 'make too many generalisations' or 'fail to expand on a very good point'.

Surely if people who are not brilliant at maths don't have to do it, we can cut a little slack for the people who aren't so good at English? Even if only one unit had to count, that would help.

Allan vB

HSC
English is hardly about writing essays and other menial, albeit necessary tasks... It is all about the understanding and higher thinking skills that you've learned while writing the essays and coming up with the reasoning. Also, the English Ext. Course is MUCH more enjoyable and really builds up your analytical skills. English should be compulsory throughout school - it's vital for expression, vocabulary, creativity, reasoning, analysing and investigative skills. These are things that we use everyday, so doesn't that mean that studying English leaves us better equipped to interact with others in the world and tackle other problems in life?

maccasjunkie

HSC
I think That Maths is really more important then English. It should be the compulsory subject if any as it's something used in every industry...
However i also feel that people should have a right to choose every subject they study, because if they are going to need it for their future, they are going to have to choose it anyway

Allan vB

HSC
maccasjunkie said:
I think That Maths is really more important then English. It should be the compulsory subject if any as it's something used in every industry...
However i also feel that people should have a right to choose every subject they study, because if they are going to need it for their future, they are going to have to choose it anyway
True... although if people weren't made to study English there would probable be far less people in the course, as indicated by the survey. Even if heaps of people don't want to do it, I still think that it should be compulsory. By studying English, student learn - even when they don't realise...

lolokay

HSC
the name i want said:
it should be compulsory but would be cool if it could be changed instead of studying texts it should be like the SATS all about punctuation ect then ext 1 and 2 ect should be studies of texts.
pretty much that ^

leave it compulsary, but make it based more on linguistics - grammar and whatnot - with some general analysis and argument forming, rather than just being textual analysis (which should instead be the focus of just the extensions).

also would make things easier for the maths-y people

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Darrow said:
Ok,
If one looks at the English coarse and compares it to the General Mathematics coarse:

It is obvious that General maths is (to me) far more practical in our society.
Where would we have to analyze a text with reference to to themes, techniques and a minimum of 2 related texts?

I think the reason we have compulsory english is to try and maintain the basics of language in an ever growing society where 'lol' and 'wuts' are becoming the norm.
The problem is, the basics are only taught up until year 10, if that!
So, my solution:
Make 2 units of mathematics compulsory
Have more indicative hours in the junior years for english
Make a New English coarse thats continues with the basics.
you've hit the nail on the head. if you've read my post on page 12ish, my statement is nearly identical to yours. the hsc english course should be revised because learning some fucking poetic techniques and writting an essay why "robert frost is effective in conveying journeys" or reading shakespeare isnt going to be any useful in life. the hsc course should continue with the basics, reading, writing, grammar, etc.. cos i'll bet that not many people in my school or other sw sydney schools will have students with 100%perfect english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)