Should I drop? How to improve? (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Hi! I'm doing Preliminary Physics right now and I'm maintaining an 80% in most of my assessments.

I'm surviving in Physics BECAUSE:
  • Long/Extended responses (longer short questions) [5/6 markers)
  • I'm good at "rote learning" information and spewing it into a written exam
  • I'm better at assignments > practicals and exams

However, I find difficulty with actually understanding a lot of concepts in Physics, especially the mathematical part (not because I don't know how to do Algebra, I'm a 3U maths student).

I'm looking to try get a 90+ ATAR (possibly 96/97 - maybe a raw 92 and relying on HSC PLUS - for Commerce at UNSW).

UPDATE: I'll be keeping Physics, I honestly have no other choice because I want to drop English Extension 1, so I need to have my 11 Units and not drop under 10.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1) Maybe consider doing a lot of questions or get a tutor/teacher for extra help?
2)I don't think you can pick up a new subject in year 12...-as in, I don't think legal studies is one of those subjects you are allowed to pick up if you haven't done the preliminary component yet.

Below is an extract of my study guide which you may find to be helpful:)-feel free to read the full guide here:http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html
My top 3 tips for preparing for excelling in science subjects (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Physics etc)which includes the main types of assessments you will encounter in your senior school science courses.

1)PRACTICAL ASSESSMENTS:
Make sure you know reliability, validity, accuracy, sources of error, possible areas for improvement, independent/dependent/controlled variables, risk assessment for all the experiments you have done in class, make sure you can master basic science skills such as drawing line of best fit, drawing experimental set up accurately, using numbered points in writing a logical procedure, understand the requirements of the exam(I.e. how much time, how many parts) and allocate your time accordingly, make sure you understand the chemical principle/theory behind why you did each experiment

2)THEORY ASSESSMENT AND EXAMS:
Make sure you PERSONALLY write a set of summarised notes according to each dot point of the syllabus in a concise but detailed manner-make sure you include appropriate diagrams as well, after you wrote the notes, make sure to start practising questions and CHECKING YOUR ANSWERS in textbooks-i.e. Roland Smith's Conquering Chemistry has an exam question section which is quite good, ask your teacher for practice questions and make links between dotpoints and across modules to reinforce your understanding. Throughout the year, you should be progressively cutting down your notes as you store more things into your long term memory-revise regularly. Before your final trial exam-you should try to get your hands on as many preliminary exams as possible to practice-and look at the marking guidelines, remember to practice under EXAM CONDITIONS. Make sure when you make notes you are at least referring to 3 different sources to synthesise your information. (colour-code and use mind-maps to make your notes engaging and easy to remember). In your notes, don't neglect to include all your experiments and second-hand investigations.

3)OTHER:
For other types of assessments such as group presentations, individual research assignments, second-hand investigations-you should strive to always include a comprehensive bibliography that indicates you have sourced your information not only from websites, but from journals/books as well, you should understand how to evaluate accuracy/reliability/validity in relation to the sources of information you are using, like other types of assessment, pay close attention to the marking criteria and make sure you fulfil it as much as possible, make sure your information is comprehensive, non-repetitive and answers the verb of the question: i.e. discuss, evaluate, compare, contrast, assess, examine (so for that matter, memorise what the main verbs used in your exam questions means).

Essentially, to succeed in the science subjects(Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc), you need to understand, constantly apply your understanding through practising questions and adopting feedback from your assessments to do better in year 12-with repetition and consistent application you will achieve your desired marks.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
80% is an excellent mark that puts you well on track for 90+ atar (and even 96/7 if you can keep it up through HSC). Most people have difficulty initially at understanding some of the harder physics concepts (myself included) so it's fine. It's those who overcome this difficulty and challenge themselves to really understand the concepts who do well.

Also, the content changes significantly between Prelim/HSC. You might even do better in HSC physics than prelim physics... (imo a lot more "rote" in HSC physics).
DON'T DROP!! (and it's not that you can pick up legal studies anyway lol).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't drop physics if I were you.

More importantly what is your rank like?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
80% is an excellent mark that puts you well on track for 90+ atar (and even 96/7 if you can keep it up through HSC). Most people have difficulty initially at understanding some of the harder physics concepts (myself included) so it's fine. It's those who overcome this difficulty and challenge themselves to really understand the concepts who do well.

Also, the content changes significantly between Prelim/HSC. You might even do better in HSC physics than prelim physics... (imo a lot more "rote" in HSC physics).
DON'T DROP!! (and it's not that you can pick up legal studies anyway lol).
D: Oh! I can't pick up Legal? That sucks!

Yeah I don't really enjoy the practicals and I'm bad at understanding why this would happen in a mathematical expression! But if you say so, I'll keep trying to improve :)

I wouldn't drop physics if I were you.

More importantly what is your rank like?
I'll be getting my Half Yearly report soon :) I would say that I'm not exactly in the top tier, nor am I down at the bottom (I know people who are getting like 13/35 and even lower. So maybe a far call, I'll be in the middle? I can come back and tell you on Monday.

HSC
Yeah I use textbooks Physics in Focus, and ask your friends for their tutoring homework to photocopy it because it's probably better than the printed sheet questions they give you at school. Also you should be commended for getting 80% lmao

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
oi, use physics in focus the concepts are not even hard
I think I have the Physics in Focus textbook, I'll have a look at it.

Yeah I use textbooks Physics in Focus, and ask your friends for their tutoring homework to photocopy it because it's probably better than the printed sheet questions they give you at school. Also you should be commended for getting 80% lmao
LOL really? 80% is pretty "low" in my school to be honest. There are a lot who maintain 90 - 98% - I find that a lot of people in my school are into Engineering, so their concepts, especially in Motion, is really strong in comparison to mine. I don't do Engineering, I merely try understand and just remember them, and just write it on the exam paper (even though I don't know what it really means and it doesn't make that much sense in my head).

Maybe I'll pick up a tutor for Year 12?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
We may end up in the same degree if I get a 96 ATAR for commerce at UNSW :p
It will be great if we both achieve what we dream for :)

I've been going to UNSW seminars in our school, whenever they come. And every time, I'm so amazed.

hunvatar

HSC
ummmmmmmmmmmm.... getting an 80% in physics is what i could dream of so dont drop it

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The good thing is that you have identified your issue with Physics.

You said it yourself that you are good at rote learning, so there is a possibility you might be trying to rote learn things that you should be trying to understand first.

Try understanding terms in depth. You would have learnt certain terms such as inertia, momentum, impulse, voltage, current, etc for Year 11. Now apply what these terms say to what they actually mean in an equation.

For example, Force is the rate of change in momentum.

What does this mean? This refers to the change in momentum with respect to time. Keywords are rate, change, force, momentum. So you can say that

You can extend this beyond to more concepts as well.

Also, one thing that might help which sometimes helps me; look at the units. What do the units suggest? Units for Force are . Units for momentum are .

Can you see how dividing momentum by something involving the units of time will give you a Force?

This method might help if you are really struggling with understanding. However the method I outlined above with the definition relating to the formula is best for purely understanding concepts and being able to apply them in any manner. Converting units can sometimes lead to erroneous results (note that the definition refers to the "change in" whereas converting units doesn't suggest this).

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
ummmmmmmmmmmm.... getting an 80% in physics is what i could dream of so dont drop it
I realised that I may be coming off rude or arrogant or spoilt because I've had several people PM me telling me that I should be happy with it and stop complaining.

I am HONESTLY happy that I'm maintaining 80%. I've always been bad at Science and this by far, is a personal achievement to me, that I'm not failing a subject I'm the weakest at.

HOWEVER. At my school, a lot of people aspire to do Engineering in university - so their Physics is really on point, a lot of people who are up on my level overall are getting 90% - 98% in all assessments, and I feel like I'm falling behind. I come from a 100 - 200 rank school, and I always feel the pressure that my rankings internally may affect my dream ATAR. Therefore, I seek to improve.

I definitely won't drop, I'll just chase harder.

And you will definitely attain your dream % if you keep chasing as well! So good luck :)

The good thing is that you have identified your issue with Physics.

You said it yourself that you are good at rote learning, so there is a possibility you might be trying to rote learn things that you should be trying to understand first.

Try understanding terms in depth. You would have learnt certain terms such as inertia, momentum, impulse, voltage, current, etc for Year 11. Now apply what these terms say to what they actually mean in an equation.

For example, Force is the rate of change in momentum.

What does this mean? This refers to the change in momentum with respect to time. Keywords are rate, change, force, momentum. So you can say that

You can extend this beyond to more concepts as well.

Also, one thing that might help which sometimes helps me; look at the units. What do the units suggest? Units for Force are . Units for momentum are .

Can you see how dividing momentum by something involving the units of time will give you a Force?

This method might help if you are really struggling with understanding. However the method I outlined above with the definition relating to the formula is best for purely understanding concepts and being able to apply them in any manner. Converting units can sometimes lead to erroneous results (note that the definition refers to the "change in" whereas converting units doesn't suggest this).
Ah! Okay! I kind of get your explaining in the example. Maybe I'll go through Motion (which is really what made me think of dropping Physics and possibly changing subjects) and try re-explain on paper the concepts and any equations attached!

Thank you!

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Just keep in mind that your mark doesn't really matter, be more concerned about your rank - For all we know your physics exams could be really easy and since a lot of people in your grade are getting high marks for it I'd assume that they are easy or you have a very strong cohort

If you're stronger at the humanities then I'd suggest dropping physics as it will be less of a burden on you. I'm certain that they will not let you pick up Legal Studies at the beginning of the term, but I have heard of situations where they allow students who struggled with physics in year 11 to switch to Earth and Environmental Science or Senior Science in year 12.

Alternatively, you could keep physics for year 12 and see how you perform in your first assessment task and decide whether or not you want to keep it based on your performance.

P.S. Motors and Generators (Module 2) has very few parts that can be rote learned (i.e. If you don't understand the concepts gg no re to your marks)

P.P.S. The HSC exams tend to phase out rote learning by putting in questions that require a true conceptual understanding of the modules

Good Luck :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I think I'll do more practice questions and go back on my notes! To be honest, I am a little lazy with Physics because HSC B. Studies, Economics and Maths are my top-tier focuses. Bad time management etc.

HSC
If you need help, just give me your email and I can send you some exam practice questions. My class gets a fat booklet of exam questions for each module

imannnk

HSC
Don't drop physics, you're doing extremely well in it! 80% is a very good mark for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)